Reagan

I wasn't old enough at the time to fully know what was going on during Reagan's presidency. A lot of people worship him, and a lot of people abhor him. What made him stand out?
Republicans worship him because he was the last president we had that seemed like he was cast for the role like in a movie, understandable since he played the role all of his life. The real Reagan was a wishy-washy easily controlled know-nothing who just said patriotic bullshit while his staff worked like the dickens to sell us out to the plutocrats. I remember him getting elected and my mother turning to me and saying "This guy is going to get us all nuked." In the end it turned out to be a pretty close thing.

I was in High school, at the time I hated him, he reinstated the draft, was looking for trouble in central America in my young dumb mind, but in retrospect I hated him like my father, I knew he was right but I didn't like it. Compared to bush and Obama he was top 10 in American history. But it is all perspective. Clinton was well above the last 2 we have endured

I wasn't old enough at the time to fully know what was going on during Reagan's presidency. A lot of people worship him, and a lot of people abhor him. What made him stand out?

He wasn't perfect but two things stood out and made him great, he was a leader and there NEVER, EVER was there a doubt what country he loved. I can ask no more of a president.

I was in High school, at the time I hated him, he reinstated the draft, was looking for trouble in central America in my young dumb mind, but in retrospect I hated him like my father, I knew he was right but I didn't like it. Compared to bush and Obama he was top 10 in American history. But it is all perspective. Clinton was well above the last 2 we have endured

Who did Reagan draft? I think your memory is a bit faulty. REGISTRATION for the draft was reinstated by Carter not Reagan. Clinton was the worse president in my lifetime and if you care I will tell you why. And I have been alive since Eisenhower, actually alive since Truman but I don't really remember him.

Republicans worship him because he was the last president we had that seemed like he was cast for the role like in a movie, understandable since he played the role all of his life. The real Reagan was a wishy-washy easily controlled know-nothing who just said patriotic bullshit while his staff worked like the dickens to sell us out to the plutocrats. I remember him getting elected and my mother turning to me and saying "This guy is going to get us all nuked." In the end it turned out to be a pretty close thing.

I thought the same thing, at the time, but looking back Reagan stood up, allot like Kennedy, in history he will one that stood up, faced down those that do not believe in liberty and won. Bush and Obama have had that opportunity and not been decisive and we are stuck. History will show the victors, and those that stumble will be a failure. what else does this Union stand for, above all the right/left rhetoric, this nation stands alone moving forward with liberty, believe in it or it is lost.

Reagan was a so-so actor who a group thought would promote their philosophy. They were known as his "kitchen cabinet". They got what they wanted ... the end of the middle class.

I think your mom was talking about JFK who actually almost did get us nuked. Reagan didn't come close.

I thought the same thing, at the time, but looking back Reagan stood up, allot like Kennedy, in history he will one that stood up, faced down those that do not believe in liberty and won. Bush and Obama have had that opportunity and not been decisive and we are stuck. History will show the victors, and those that stumble will be a failure. what else does this Union stand for, above all the right/left rhetoric, this nation stands alone moving forward with liberty, believe in it or it is lost.
I despise superficiality, when you take away the acting and the posturing he did more to fuck middle-class America than any president until GWB came along, not to mention, he let the moral majority social conservatives finally get their foot in the door of American politics.

Who did Reagan draft? I think your memory is a bit faulty. REGISTRATION for the draft was reinstated by Carter not Reagan. Clinton was the worse president in my lifetime and if you care I will tell you why. And I have been alive since Eisenhower, actually alive since Truman but I don't really remember him.
I am with you. like I tried to explain, at the time that is what I thought. Now I can admit I was a dumb ass when I was 17. I revere this man. Their was no doubt he loved this country and he was a great husband, man and belongs in the top 10 presidents in our history. He was an actor yeas but only fools would call his passion for this country and everything he put his mind to. all men are flawed, he is still one of the greats!

I despise superficiality, when you take away the acting and the posturing he did more to fuck middle-class America than any president until GWB came along, not to mention, he let the moral majority social conservatives finally get their foot in the door of American politics.

If you are talking about Reagan, he ushered in the greatest peacetime expansion of the economy in history. I wasn't middle class then but it was good times.

Last edited:

I think your mom was talking about JFK who actually almost did get us nuked. Reagan didn't come close.
Actually after the iron curtain fell it was later revealed that the Russian hard-liners had seriously considered launching their nukes because they were scared Reagan the eternal saber-rattler would invade them the moment control slipped from their hands.

I am with you. like I tried to explain, at the time that is what I thought. Now I can admit I was a dumb ass when I was 17. I revere this man. Their was no doubt he loved this country and he was a great husband, man and belongs in the top 10 presidents in our history. He was an actor yeas but only fools would call his passion for this country and everything he put his mind to. all men are flawed, he is still one of the greats!

One scene that I remember is when Reagan went to meet Gorbachev. Gorbachev showed up dressed in winter cloths and out comes Reagan in nothing more then a suit. Bush and Obama are pussies in comparison.

Last edited:

Actually after the iron curtain fell it was later revealed that the Russian hard-liners had seriously considered launching their nukes because they were scared Reagan the eternal saber-rattler would invade them the moment control slipped from their hands.

Sorry friend, that makes no sense.

If you are talking about Reagan, he issued in the greatest peacetime expansion of the economy in history. I wasn't middle class then but it was good times.
RR planted the "free market" seeds that led to the dismantling of our industrial base and the transition to a lousy unstable service-based economy with his near religious devotion to supply-side economic theory.

If you are talking about Reagan, he issued in the greatest peacetime expansion of the economy in history. I wasn't middle class then but it was good times.
RR planted the "free market" seeds that led to the dismantling of our industrial base and the transition to a lousy unstable service-based economy with his near religious devotion to supply-side economic theory.

Gosh if you had lived it you would know. It was Clinton that dismantled our industrial base with his BS "free" trade agreements. It was predicted then and came true there is no denying it. Clinton was the worse president in my lifetime for that reason, and his lying under oath.

I'm 68, and up until Reagan I probably voted more Republican than Democrat. Reagan ended that. He was a scumbag. I can remember when both parties had relatively equal respect - but not since Reagan. Today's GOP is truly evil.

Reagan was the last REAL President we had. He was the best of the 20th century and probably beyond. Democrats hate him because he brought down the Soviet Union (singlehandedly) while the libfucks in Congress tried to undermine his efforts (traitors). He restored patriotism and respected the Constitution, which is something we haven't seen from the Democratic Party since before I was born. Liberal shitheads piss their pants over Reagan but none of them are good enough to shine his shoes. He was a true leader, the likes of which we haven't seen since.

Forum List

Back