Reagan Was A Shitty President

Ol Ronnie sucked as a president. He was not the worse in history but he certainly is should not be held so high by the righty's. They need to look specifically into what he did.
There has been a concerted effort on the part of the Conservative Big Media to rehabilitate Reagan's image.

If only those pesky facts didn't keep getting in the way.

From his speech to the National Religious Broadcasters convention after announcing his second-term candidacy:

"Under this roof, some 4,000 of us are kindred spirits united by one burning belief: God is our Father; we are His children; together, brothers and sisters, we are one family."

From the end of the same speech:

"If the Lord is our light, our strength, and our salvation, whom shall we fear? Of whom shall we be afraid? No matter where we live, we have a promise that can make all the difference, a promise from Jesus to soothe our sorrows, heal our hearts, and drive away our fears. He promised there will never be a dark night that does not end. Our weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. He promised if our hearts are true, His love will be as sure as sunlight. And, by dying for us, Jesus showed how far our love should be ready to go: all the way."

Now, you might say, "Lots of politicians mouth religious faith to win points", and you'd be right. But there's a big difference between saying, "God bless America" to pander to voters and talking about God and Jesus the way Reagan did. Argue whether or not he was a GOOD Christian, if you must. But I think it's clear that he thought of himself as a Christian, and only God has the ability to argue that.

Yes, okay...for public consumption, Reagan was a christian. But that is kinda sorta the problem, Cecilie. Rather than appealing to problem-solving, analytical and smart, he pandered to knee-jerk, divisive and stupid. (No, I am not calling christians stupid. I am calling people who wish for a theocracy stupid.) It's a mistake we cannot afford to make again.

I disagree on all points. One, I don't think he was pandering at all. I think he genuinely believed the things he said and did. In addition, I don't think he appealed to knee-jerk, divisive, and stupid, nor do I automatically assume that seeing the world from his religious viewpoint appeals to people who wish for a theocracy. And I don't believe that Christianity and "problem-solving, analytical and smart" are mutually exclusive.

Frankly, I find your entire post and the supercilious attitude it reveals toward Christianity to be extremely offensive. If anyone is "knee-jerk", I think it's you.

This must be one of your "I post facts, not opinions" posts.

c128.gif
c128.gif
c128.gif

That is a good question. What did Reagan do that had not been tried before, that you feel accounts for the fall of the USSR?

You people remind me of Nixon apologists, who mew on "Well, at least he reopened trade with China."

Gheesh.

Standing up to them is what hadn't been tried before. Do you remember the Cold War? I do. I remember that before Reagan, the US government had a policy of appeasement toward the Soviet Union. They certainly evidenced no clue that the Soviet Union was "on its last legs", as the left so likes to pretend was common knowledge back then. It was "any treaty is better than no treaty", and never mind the the USSR ignored and violated them whenever it felt like.
Not 'saber-rattling' does not equal 'appeasement'.

I know you do, and I'll admit I have written things a christian might be offended by in other threads. But try and suspend judgment for a moment and hear me: I want the 2012 incoming administration to solve problems. I do not want our next Republican president to be swept along a wave of anti-Muslim jingoism, without any substantive ideas on how to address the very real issues facing this country.

Not sure what that has to do with Reagan.

Unless you think Reagan used anti-Muslim jingoism.,

You people remind me of Nixon apologists, who mew on "Well, at least he reopened trade with China."

I include that among his cardinal sins, along with the EPA and Watergate.

The American Left hates Reagan because he beat the crap out of the USSR so badly he left them no choice but to complete their takeover of the Democrat Party

Yeah, you know what Reagan did? Reagan tore off his shirt, put a knife into his mouth, dove into the Atlantic, marched across Europe to Moscow where he engaged in a kung-fu fight with Gorbachev. After winning, he punched the corpse of Lenin so hard, every communist became a proud capitalist, and every Soviet nuke dismantled itself. All the Soviets were convinced by his majestic words, and them and the Middle East totally saw us as the best people ever to walk the earth. Then he came home and creamed himself on the flag, and cried bald eagle tears

Good grief how vulgar can you get. And you get thanked on top of it? :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back