Read it a weep Dims

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
Read it and weep, Democrats. The shoe is on the other foot. David Bernstein at the Washington Post’s Volokh Conspiracy blog:

Thanks to a VC commenter, I discovered that in August 1960, the Democrat-controlled Senate passed a resolution, S.RES. 334, “Expressing the sense of the Senate that the president should not make recess appointments to the Supreme Court, except to prevent or end a breakdown in the administration of the Court’s business.” Each of President Eisenhower’s SCOTUS appointments had initially been a recess appointment who was later confirmed by the Senate, and the Democrats were apparently concerned that Ike would try to fill any last-minute vacancy that might arise with a recess appointment.

The GOP opposed this, of course. Hypocrisy goes two ways. But the majority won.

As it should this time.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/02/dems_in_senate_passed_a_resolution_in1960_against_election_year_supreme_court_appointments.html#ixzz40GdyUuuL
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

"On Feb. 3, 1988, McConnell and literally every other GOP senator voted to confirm Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy. This was during President Ronald Reagan's last year in the White House, and at a time when Democrats controlled the Senate. Kennedy was confirmed 97-0, with three Democrats -- Joe Biden, Al Gore and Paul Simon -- not voting at all because, presumably, they were busy running for president that year."
Mitch McConnell Voted To Confirm A Supreme Court Justice In Reagan's Final Year

"On Feb. 3, 1988, McConnell and literally every other GOP senator voted to confirm Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy. This was during President Ronald Reagan's last year in the White House, and at a time when Democrats controlled the Senate. Kennedy was confirmed 97-0, with three Democrats -- Joe Biden, Al Gore and Paul Simon -- not voting at all because, presumably, they were busy running for president that year."

Oh come on! You are using semantics here. When was he nominated? That is the key question!

Here, I went an even got it from the NY Times for you, so that there would be no claim of some RW site giving false information. It was November 12th, 1987! Almost a full year before his term was up. Obama is up in a little over 8 months in case you weren't counting, and to let you know we are, lol.

REAGAN NOMINATES ANTHONY KENNEDY TO SUPREME COURT

And seriously, why are you even worried about it? What the hell is the difference if Obama, Hillary, or Bernie appoint the next justice? Are you just trying to cause conflict, for conflicts sake?

Or, then again, maybe a certain person is lying through their pearly white teeth about how much of a lock the Democrat actually is, lol. In that case, it would explain EVERYTHING-)

Oh come on! You are using semantics here. When was he nominated? That is the key question!

Here, I went an even got it from the NY Times for you, so that there would be no claim of some RW site giving false information. It was November 12th, 1987! Almost a full year before his term was up. Obama is up in a little over 8 months in case you weren't counting, and to let you know we are, lol.

Better check your math there, dude. There are 11 months left to Obama's term, not 8.

So the people that vote a president can expect him to be the President for only 3 yrs, is that your contention. And these are the strict Constitutionalist.
The credibility of the teabaggers shows it self once again.

Better check your math there, dude. There are 11 months left to Obama's term, not 8.

However long you want to make Obama President, then you have to add that to Reagan also.

You too are using semantics, but if you think it carries weight, by all means, go ahead-)

However long you want to make Obama President, then you have to add that to Reagan also.

You too are using semantics, but if you think it carries weight, by all means, go ahead-)

And if the Supreme Court is once again needed to settle the issue of who is to be our next President...what then?

And if the Supreme Court is once again needed to settle the issue of who is to be our next President...what then?

Then the lower court decision stands. Good deal for the Democrats since lower courts are full of liberals. See, win, win, for you!

Then the lower court decision stands. Good deal for the Democrats since lower courts are full of liberals. See, win, win, for you!

Not a democrat so it doesn't matter one way or the other to me. It would seem though that we would want the highest court in the land to be able to function.

I was under the impression that Presidential power lasted for 4 years; not 3. Isn't that what the Constitution says or is there something in the document that says she/he doesn't get to nominate justices in the 4th year?

11 months vs 9 months? Who's splitting hairs here?

Not a democrat so it doesn't matter one way or the other to me. It would seem though that we would want the highest court in the land to be able to function.

I was under the impression that Presidential power lasted for 4 years; not 3. Isn't that what the Constitution says or is there something in the document that says she/he doesn't get to nominate justices in the 4th year?

I am not going to disagree with you. It used to be called something like.................professional courtesy since the term was almost over. Look back in history and see how many judges were nominated and passed with less than a year left on a term. May have been a couple, I really, honestly, do not know. I just know what it has been in relatively modern times.

I tend to look at things this way---------------> Justice Kennedy was put up for the Supreme court in November of 1987. He was the 3rd of 3 nominees put up by President Reagan. His confirmation hearings did not start until January, or February.

Consider.............Reagan named a nominee in July of 87 named Bork. And so, with the GOP having that, they can refuse 2 nominees. Bork was 1, and then there was another before Kennedy was nominated in November.

If that is the case, nobody can complain, now can they! By their own timeline of how the Democrats did it, it will be virtually in November before anyone gets approved. By that time, it is surely in the realm of the next President. And the kicker is..........the Democrats created what is.....and is NOT acceptable as a timeline......themselves.

Because the opening was much sooner, READ HISTORY! The 1st 2 nominees were rejected. The 1st nominee was put up in JUly of 87, fully 15 or 16 months before the end of the term. Geeze!

I am not going to disagree with you. It used to be called something like.................professional courtesy since the term was almost over. Look back in history and see how many judges were nominated and passed with less than a year left on a term. May have been a couple, I really, honestly, do not know. I just know what it has been in relatively modern times.

I tend to look at things this way---------------> Justice Kennedy was put up for the Supreme court in November of 1987. He was the 3rd of 3 nominees put up by President Reagan. His confirmation hearings did not start until January, or February.
You don't think the holidays played a role in that delay?

Consider.............Reagan named a nominee in July of 87 named Bork. And so, with the GOP having that, they can refuse 2 nominees. Bork was 1, and then there was another before Kennedy was nominated in November.

If that is the case, nobody can complain, now can they! By their own timeline of how the Democrats did it, it will be virtually in November before anyone gets approved. By that time, it is surely in the realm of the next President. And the kicker is..........the Democrats created what is.....and is NOT acceptable as a timeline......themselves.

It was a guy named Ginsburg (no relation to current justice Ginsburg).

They had hearings though. They did their constitutional duty. No Senate is (or should be) under any obligation to rubber stamp the nominee of the President for anything; ambassadorship, judge, Cab Sec,...nothing. But you have hearings. You don't call the President and tell him to not worry about appointing anyone because there will not be hearings.

Because the opening was much sooner, READ HISTORY! The 1st 2 nominees were rejected. The 1st nominee was put up in JUly of 87, fully 15 or 16 months before the end of the term. Geeze!
There are different circumstances though. Kennedy wasn't replacing a dead justice. Bush got Roberts installed in less than a month after Rehnquist died. Didn't see Dems blocking and filibustering that, did you?

There are different circumstances though. Kennedy wasn't replacing a dead justice. Bush got Roberts installed in less than a month after Rehnquist died. Didn't see Dems blocking and filibustering that, did you?

So now, an open justice seat is not an open justice seat, is an open justice seat, only by the definition put forth by Democrats.

And, you can only fillibuster a nominee if the Justice is dead? Show me those rules, I have to study them.

As far as John Roberts..........that was 2005, loooooooong before the end of GWs term. The least you could attempt to do is keep apple to apples, and oranges to oranges.

Spin it like a Beanie and Cecil hat all you want, the precedent is there to stop the nomination until the next President is sworn in. I do not neither agree, nor disagree with the process of doing it. As far as I am concerned, this whole exercise is for political purposes. Neither side has firm ground on this one. It will be a battle of political will and talking points. BOTH entities better know what the hell they are doing though, before they engage in the debate!

You don't think the holidays played a role in that delay?

It was a guy named Ginsburg (no relation to current justice Ginsburg).

They had hearings though. They did their constitutional duty. No Senate is (or should be) under any obligation to rubber stamp the nominee of the President for anything; ambassadorship, judge, Cab Sec,...nothing. But you have hearings. You don't call the President and tell him to not worry about appointing anyone because there will not be hearings.

With that, I can agree with you on Candy. To tell ANY President, of EITHER party to not nominate someone, is the essence of bad politics.

I can point at a "bad politics" by the Democrats on this issue in 2007, but I won't. Why? Because if both of these establishment entities want to be arrogant, then they BOTH deserve what they get. Being crappy without spinning it to NOT appear crappy, is the essence of arrogance. In my humble opinion, neither of them has a RIGHT to be arrogant! Between the both of them, they have screwed up things sooooo much, we are at each others throats. I don't appreciate that at all, because at the end of the day...........we are ALL Americans!

So now, an open justice seat is not an open justice seat, is an open justice seat, only by the definition put forth by Democrats.

And, you can only fillibuster a nominee if the Justice is dead? Show me those rules, I have to study them.

As far as John Roberts..........that was 2005, loooooooong before the end of GWs term. The least you could attempt to do is keep apple to apples, and oranges to oranges.

Spin it like a Beanie and Cecil hat all you want, the precedent is there to stop the nomination until the next President is sworn in. I do not neither agree, nor disagree with the process of doing it. As far as I am concerned, this whole exercise is for political purposes. Neither side has firm ground on this one. It will be a battle of political will and talking points. BOTH entities better know what the hell they are doing though, before they engage in the debate!
Oh please... If a justice wants to retire, they can hold office for a short while until their successor is appointed. If a justice dies, that obviously creates a vacancy that needs to be filled ASAP.

So the people that vote a president can expect him to be the President for only 3 yrs, is that your contention. And these are the strict Constitutionalist.
The credibility of the teabaggers shows it self once again.

That what the Democrats came up with in 2007 when Bush had 17 months left. Maybe your party should live by their own policies and shut up.

Forum List

Back