Re: Abortions

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Anguille, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Anguille

Anguille Bane of the Urbane

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    If a person is in favor of a woman's right to abort why would it be insulting to be accused of having had one? Just like if you think there is nothing wrong with being gay, why would you be insulted if someone called you gay? Or if you're a man and you respect women and you think they are equal to men, why would you mind being called a woman?

I suppose being called most likely to have had an abortion might not be personally insulting to someone in favor of abortion, but they might otherwise find it offensive as it could put them in a position for abuse by those who think abortion is murder.

It's strange how so many of us support gay rights yet we don't like to be called gay if we aren't. Or how we don't like it if we are perceived as being other than the gender that we are even if we have nothing against the opposite sex. That poll made me wonder why I found it offensive to called someone who might have had an abortion even though I see nothing wrong with abortion but lots of things wrong with going through with an unwanted pregnancy. Abortion still carries a stigma, even for the most avid prochoicers.

Edited for content; moved to proper forum -Shattered

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  2. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    Is it possible to support the availability of safe and legal abortion while being horrified by the 'industry' of abortion?

Is it possible to support the availability of safe and legal abortion while hoping that I never have to personally confront the weight of that decision head on?

This is one of the issues in this country that really pisses me off because neither extreme of the issue will ever walk a mile in the other sides moccasins, and the technology, no matter how hard we pray, is not going to just 'go away'.

-Joe

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  3. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,773
    Good question.

I think perhaps it has something to do with someone else projecting their prejudices onto you, acting like they know you when they actually don't. Or them thinking if you are for everyone having a choice they assume to know what your choice would be...which kind of eliminates the choice, no?

Maybe I'll do better with this later after the coffee kicks in.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    lol.. you did fine. I think it also has to do with who's saying it... because you KNOW they mean it as an insult. and it's meant as a nasty judgment. so perhaps the offense also comes from that.

time for MY coffee now. :)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Actually, that was good ... exactly what I would have wanted to say.

6. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,931
    Have you forgotten? No one can ask such questions in public.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The question is: Why do people object to and protest vehemently against being labelled that which they are.

Remember the old poster on the wall? I'm sure you had it ... "If you were accused of being a Marine, would there be enough evidence to convict?"

My opinion is that it goes against our mindset that we are "individuals" and not "just like everyone else," and it's the natural byproduct of political correctness. A segement of our society has so successfully waged a war against calling people/groups what they are, we have become naturally defensive to being labelled.

If I had ever been in a position of having to be party to an abortion, for the reasons I consider abortion to be a legitimate medical procedure, my answer to the accusation would be "Fuck you."

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    What makes you think anyone is "insulting to be accused of having had one?"

9. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    What are the odds? I've never had one, I never would have one, but if someone accused me of it, I'd damn well be insulted because it's something I personally don't believe in. I think there are very FEW reasons for anyone to have one, actually..

If I did have one, I'd STILL be insulted that some who may or may not even know me brought it up. It's a personal, and lifelong choice that one has to make, and they certainly don't need anyone elses derision, and smart-alecky comments about something so personal.

10. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,931
    Totally missed the point, but then I can not be more specific for fear of being banned.