RAY DONOVAN Is Back

BullKurtz

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
It was supposed to premiere 30 June, then 12 July, but I watched it last night on couchtuner.eu. And it was very good. Of note, the guy who played the villain saloon-keeper in "Deadwood" is back. He asks Ray what exactly it is that he does and Ray says; "I change the story" which is pretty much exactly what he does. This is a don't miss show whenever Showtime decides to show it. :terror:

ray.jpg

A. What Ray Donovan does is pretty much what Harvey Keitel's character ("the Wolf") did in Pulp Fiction. Fix things.

B. Is it as obvious to everyone else as it is to me that Ray Donovan is "The Sopranos" with a different ethnic group (Boston Irish Catholic) and location? It's all there. Sociopathic lead guy who wants to be a Good Guy but has a tendency to kill people who get in his way. Marginally-legal sources of unlimited income. Worthless wife with a ludicrous sense of entitlement. Worthless teenage kids. Worthless dad/uncle. Worthless sibling(s).

• Banned
A. What Ray Donovan does is pretty much what Harvey Keitel's character ("the Wolf") did in Pulp Fiction. Fix things.

B. Is it as obvious to everyone else as it is to me that Ray Donovan is "The Sopranos" with a different ethnic group (Boston Irish Catholic) and location? It's all there. Sociopathic lead guy who wants to be a Good Guy but has a tendency to kill people who get in his way. Marginally-legal sources of unlimited income. Worthless wife with a ludicrous sense of entitlement. Worthless teenage kids. Worthless dad/uncle. Worthless sibling(s).

Yeah, and? But you're missing the difference between Ray and Tony Soprano. Donovan doesn't lie to his friends or his enemies....no kiss of death with Ray.....he either clips ya, buys you a drink, or laughs in your face. And he doesn't pay homage to some Capo...he's his own man, has his own business, (until last week), and usually finds a way to blackmail his mark instead of shooting him. I enjoy both shows but they're very different characters.

I like both shows and disagree, Donovan isn't anything like Tony Soprano.

Liev Schreiber is perhaps the most underrated and under appreciated actor working today. I have been a big fan for many years. I first remember him as Leo in Big Night, he was hilarious in Taking Woodstock. He's narrated numerous documentaries.

He would have been my choice to play Robert Langdon in The Da Vinci Code. A not so well known, talented actor would have let the story be the star. As it turned out, Ron Howard so butchered that story it didn't matter. Still, he would have been better than Hanks...

Liev Schreiber is perhaps the most underrated and under appreciated actor working today. I have been a big fan for many years. I first remember him as Leo in Big Night, he was hilarious in Taking Woodstock. He's narrated numerous documentaries.

He would have been my choice to play Robert Langdon in The Da Vinci Code. A not so well known, talented actor would have let the story be the star. As it turned out, Ron Howard so butchered that story it didn't matter. Still, he would have been better than Hanks...

I agree. Liev Schreiber is absolutely brilliant and incredibly well educated, he gets far too little credit for his talent.

Sure, there are differences between the Ray Donovan character and the Tony Soprano character, but the scenario is an ill-disguised rip-off, and the fundamentals of those characters are the same. A big, tough guy trying to be "decent" but falling back to thuggery when pushed. Also, tormented by a fcuked-up family and friends.

Didn't catch this one until recently but am hopelessly addicted now.

Liev Schreiber :eusa_drool:
Yes. Ray Donovan is a good series.

Unlike True Detective-II, which is a ridiculous bore, Ray Donovan moves fast and doesn't waste a lot of time with long, boring conversations and protracted facial-expression close-ups.

Forum List

Back