Rasmussen says 23% Believe in Ghosts. Do you?

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
Halloween generally triggers a lot of television programming re ghosts and other paranormal phenomenon and this year has been no exception. We watched several hours of documentary on ghost investigations this week, another on the world's most haunted places, and Dan Akroyd and his father were on George Noury's "Coast to Coast" this week telling about their investigations into this matter.

Nevertheless, according to Rasmussen this week, only 23% of us believe in ghosts.

Do you?

23% Believe in Ghosts, Do You?
Friday, October 30, 2009

BOOOOO! If things that go bump in the night scare you, chances are you’re among the 23% of American adults who believe in ghosts.

Sixty-five percent (65%) don’t believe in scary spirits, according to the latest Rasmussen Reports survey. But 12% aren’t sure if ghost stories are true or not.

The percentage of men and women who believe in ghosts are virtually the same. Adults ages 30 to 39 and 65 and older are less credulous than those in other age groups.

Unmarried adults believe in apparitions more than adults who are married. Adults without children are slightly more likely to think ghosts are out there than adults with children, but maybe not if the kids have their way.

Those who work in the private sector are twice as likely as government workers to believe in ghosts.
23% Believe in Ghosts, Do You? - Rasmussen Reports™

No, I don't

How many people believe in angels?

I have a feeling that % is much higher than 23%. Except people rather not admit it. :lol:

As for me, I believe in Ghosts.

All the shows I've seen this week on Ghost have been more of a comedic relief then drama. I think these shows do a disservice in the true study of anything paranormal in nature.

I think residual energy is the key to people seeing Ghost, like a tape recording...for whatever reason at a certain time the circumstances is just right for someone to have an experience. I think that is more of a common sense approach and I wish these stupid shows would stop hyping shit for ratings so some real study can take place. Right now if there was ANY legit findings nobody would believe it.

I have not personally seen or experienced a ghost that I know of, but I have heard testimony from well educated people of good reputation who state that they have experienced phenomenon that they describe as 'ghosts' or at least activity for which there is no other explanation. Such people are not given to wild emotion, telling stories, eccentricity, or hallucinations.

I therefore choose to keep an open mind on the subject.

Last edited:
How many believe in the Holy Ghost?

I prefer to believe in the "Friendly Ghost".

I have a feeling that % is much higher than 23%. Except people rather not admit it. :lol:

As for me, I believe in Ghosts.

I think you're right that 23% is low. I think there would not be as big an industry or as much curiosity about the subject as there is if the numbers were that low.

These kind of polls amusing me, all the lil kiddies with big opinions of themselves will show us how cool they think they are by saying they don't believe in anything that could be considered not of the physical world. :lol:

I guess I'll be one of those people with big opinions of myself.....

I don't believe in ghosts, but I know that the there are many more dimensions in the universe than four. I think it's possible that energy can be recorded into one of those dimensions plays back on constant loop and some people are more genetically prone to perceive that energy.

I don't believe in ghosts that consciously interact with the living.

I don't mock those that do. My belief is that the existence of the supernatural can't be proven or disproven though scientific means so there is no need to bicker about it.

I don't believe in ghosts, but I know that the there are many more dimensions in the universe than four. I think it's possible that energy can be recorded into one of those dimensions plays back on constant loop and some people are more genetically prone to perceive that energy.

I don't mock those that do. My belief is that the existence of the supernatural can't be proven or disproven though scientific means so there is no need to bicker about it.

Listening this week to Dan Ackroyd who was introduced as quite the expert on this stuff, he drew a distinction between spirit beings and ghosts though he did say that he believed in and had experienced both. He seemed to believe that the 'paranormal' would be 'proved' by scientific means, but that we had not yet discovered or perfected the science to do that. The thrust of his and his father's research in this field is described as science.

Ever watched "Ghost Hunters" Or "Ghost Lab"? Interesting stuff and it is proven by electronic means.

Actually all things are possible and I usually am the type of person to be open to all of it. I'm skeptic but I think that is healthy. I do not know why or how or anything on the subject but I can say that I've had some remote viewing, dreams that have come true, and was told I have precognitive ability. I have most of that documented in that I've written it down, told someone before any thing came to pass. I guess if that is possible then anything is.

I have not ever seen a Ghost besides my dad but I cannot put that in the Ghost category. I know people have and I believe they have but I just cannot be 100% and say there are such things.

If this makes any sense *shrug*

Forum List

Back