Rape and Violence: Should Australia be ashamed?

Men jailed for gunpoint rapes of women tourists

Two 18-year-old men have each been sentenced to 15 years in prison for the gunpoint rapes of two women tourists at Alice Springs.

In the Northern Territory Supreme Court, Justice Dean Mildren chose to sentence the offenders, Ginger Green and Norman Kernan, under the Youth Justices Act rather than the Sentencing Act.

Both were juveniles aged 17 when they repeatedly raped and sexually assaulted a Finnish woman and a German woman visiting Alice Springs.

The court heard how the women had been camping in their four-wheel drive vehicle in May 2012 when the offenders smashed the windows and raped them at gunpoint.

In a court sitting at Alice Springs this afternoon, the pair were convicted on eight counts of sexual intercourse without consent, and one count of armed robbery.

Justice Mildren said these were outrageous offences, with devastating consequences for the victims.

Suppression orders preventing the men's identity from being revealed were revoked yesterday.

Justice Mildren set non-parole periods of nine years for both men.

Men jailed for gunpoint rapes of women tourists - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Trouble is, women can't stay awake 24 hours a day.
They go to sleep, the rapists strike.
No time to reach for the gun or knife.

'Panic rooms' are a great idea.
Electronic alarms.
Outdoor sensor lights.
Deadlocks
Window locks.
Often the rapists enter thru open windows, only having to cut the flyscreen.

Last edited:
There are rapes in other places but the problem is that Australia is very high on the index. According to the UN statistics for 2011, Australia/New Zealand had 25.2 rapes per 100,000 people.

Too bad those women were disarmed, but that's the Left's idea of gun control...giving a 120lb woman the "right" to fistfight a 250lb rapist. :cuckoo:

Trouble is, women can't stay awake 24 hours a day.
They gpo to sleep, the rapists strike.
No time to reach for the gun or knife.

'Panic rooms' are a great idea.

No time to reach for a firearm, but time to get into a "panic room"?

Whatever you say...

If those women had guns at home and knew how to use them it might have turned out otherwise.

True.

However, they're not allowed to have guns [bolt-action rifles/single-shot shotguns] at home unless they're locked in a special safe and the ammo kept separately.

Handguns are illegal.

If the rapist were not armed, and the woman had stabbed him [or shot him], killing him with a knife [or gun] she had in her bed for protection...she would likely be charged with murder or manslaughter, prison awaiting.

And that doesn't sound like incredibly fucked up laws to you?

A gun can be turned on you and you could end up shooting yourself...
If I was a rapist I would go to Australia, knowing that you have no way of defending yourselves.

I wouldn't go to America, because I'd probably become a victim in the latest mass shooting.

Yea...best to say in Australia where you're more likely to a victim of assault (100% more likely than the US) or Rape (150% more likely than in the US).

On average about 18 people die each year in mass shootings. Of course, three times more die from lightening strikes.

But you go with "I'd probably become a victim" in America but not Australia...:cuckoo:

Trouble is that;

The Offenders | RAINN | Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network

The Rapist isn't a Masked Stranger

Approximately 2/3 of rapes were committed by someone known to the victim.1
73% of sexual assaults were perpetrated by a non-stranger.1
38% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance.1
28% are an intimate.1
7% are a relative.1

He's not Hiding in the Bushes

More than 50% of all rape/sexual assault incidents were reported by victims to have occured within 1 mile of their home or at their home.2

•4 in 10 take place at the victim's home.
•2 in 10 take place at the home of a friend, neighbor, or relative.
•1 in 12 take place in a parking garage.
43% of rapes occur between 6:00pm and midnight.2

etc

If I was a rapist I would go to Australia, knowing that you have no way of defending yourselves.

I wouldn't go to America, because I'd probably become a victim in the latest mass shooting.

Yea...best to say in Australia where you're more likely to a victim of assault (100% more likely than the US) or Rape (150% more likely than in the US).

On average about 18 people die each year in mass shootings. Of course, three times more die from lightening strikes.

But you go with "I'd probably become a victim" in America but not Australia...:cuckoo:

The States don't sound that safe to me;
Last year, there were 24,923 cases of rape in India, according to the government's official statistics. That's about two per 100,000 Indians. The per capita rate in the U.S. is more than 13 times higher.
Statistics Shine Little Light on Rape Rates - WSJ.com

The States don't sound that safe to me;
Last year, there were 24,923 cases of rape in India, according to the government's official statistics. That's about two per 100,000 Indians. The per capita rate in the U.S. is more than 13 times higher.
Statistics Shine Little Light on Rape Rates - WSJ.com

And Australia's rape rate is even higher. Much higher.

Fail.

Forum List

Back