Rape and Violence: Should Australia be ashamed?

Recent media reports of horrific rapes in India depict a country where every woman is in danger of being assaulted at any time. Official crime statistics tell a very different story.

Last year, there were 24,923 cases of rape in India, according to the government's official statistics. That's about two per 100,000 Indians. The per capita rate in the U.S. is more than 13 times higher.

"Comparing countries can be very misleading, particularly for a crime like rape," said Angela Me, chief of the Vienna-based research and trend-analysis branch of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.

And two surveys can yield very different results depending on how they are conducted. An annual survey by the U.S. Justice Department's Bureau of Justice Statistics, which uses the word "rape" in asking respondents if they have been the victims of rape, found nearly 250,000 rapes or sexual assaults in 2011. A 2010 survey by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in which interviewers described scenarios of sex without consent or where consent wasn't possible, and asked respondents if they had experienced any, found that 1.3 million women were raped over the prior 12 months. The numbers from the surveys dwarf the 83,425 rapes reported to police in 2011, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Statistics Shine Little Light on Rape Rates - WSJ.com

I hope to visit there one day.

But I wish you all were allowed to offer your daughters better protection than "try do avoid dangerous places."

I agree. I don't not support the carrying of guns, but I am fine with mace and pocket knives for protection. People do need some form of protection, and I think we have forgotten that.
Don't rely on mace. The only thing it will do is piss off your attacker. A knife can be taken away from you. Too bad you're not allowed to carry guns. Better stay home.

They come into your home and rape you.

I agree. I don't not support the carrying of guns, but I am fine with mace and pocket knives for protection. People do need some form of protection, and I think we have forgotten that.
Don't rely on mace. The only thing it will do is piss off your attacker. A knife can be taken away from you. Too bad you're not allowed to carry guns. Better stay home.

Nobody cares about your social life.

Just like England, since the banning of firearms, Australia's violent crime rate has skyrocketed

By the way, I was looking at the rape index for England and Wales. Lord! That is extremely high for a population of only 53 or so millions. It seems like 95K women get raped there every year according to UN statistics.
That IS hard to believe, especially when I look at some of their women.

Rape is not about looks/beauty.

Nobody cares about your social life.

They come into your home and rape you;

Man raped five women in their homes: crown

Man raped five women in their homes

Five women were raped at knifepoint in their own homes by a man who disguised his face before blindfolding and tying them up, an Adelaide jury has been told.

If those women had guns at home and knew how to use them it might have turned out otherwise.

If those women had guns at home and knew how to use them it might have turned out otherwise.

True.

However, they're not allowed to have guns [bolt-action rifles/single-shot shotguns] at home unless they're locked in a special safe and the ammo kept separately.

Handguns are illegal.

If the rapist were not armed, and the woman had stabbed him [or shot him], killing him with a knife [or gun] she had in her bed for protection...she would likely be charged with murder or manslaughter, prison awaiting.

Last edited:

True.

However, they're not allowed to have guns [bolt-action rifles/single-shot shotguns] at home unless they're locked in a special safe and the ammo kept separately.

Handguns are illegal.

If the rapist were not armed, and the woman had stabbed him [or shot him], killing him with a knife [or gun] she had in her bed for protection...she would likely be charged with murder or manslaughter, prison awaiting.

Sounds like you've got some pretty fucking stupid laws.

True.

Handguns are illegal.

If you stabbed the rapist, its highly unlikely you would be charged. The cops would consider the circumstances, understand that the woman prevented a rape by stabbing her attacker, and wouldn't charge her.

True.

Handguns are illegal.

If you stabbed the rapist, its highly unlikely you would be charged. The cops would consider the circumstances, understand that the woman prevented a rape by stabbing her attacker, and wouldn't charge her.
What if your attacker has a gun, you gonna use your knife on him?

Just because the attacker MIGHT have a gun, doesn't mean women need to arm themselves with one.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI]Picard's Epic Double Facepalm - YouTube[/ame]

Illegal in Australia?

If so that's a big part of the problem.

Just like England, since the banning of firearms, Australia's violent crime rate has skyrocketed

By the way, I was looking at the rape index for England and Wales. Lord! That is extremely high for a population of only 53 or so millions. It seems like 95K women get raped there every year according to UN statistics.

Place no trust in statistics, or anything else, coming from the UN. I've seen the Organisation up close.

True.

Handguns are illegal.

Probably best not to bet your last dollar on that.

Forum List

Back