Rand Paul suggests shutting down the govt

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Last night on Fox Paul suggested that the GOP prepare in advance for shutting down the govt. Says they should pass bills in advance that would ensure that the basic functions such as SS and other essentials are funded and payments guaranteed. But beyond that he thinks the GOP should be willing to shut it down to force Obama to come to the table to negotiate on major cuts.

Last night on Fox Paul suggested that the GOP prepare in advance for shutting down the govt. Says they should pass bills in advance that would ensure that the basic functions such as SS and other essentials are funded and payments guaranteed. But beyond that he thinks the GOP should be willing to shut it down to force Obama to come to the table to negotiate on major cuts.

The House will pass the legislation to raise the debt ceiling.

It will be Reid /Obama's choice to shut down the government or not by refusing to sign the legislation.

Newt Gingrich had some success with this tactic, so I'm not surprised that some are trotting it back out. But I'd like to think that we'll see a serious stab at cutting government spending without it.
We will see.

Im with Rand Paul.. SHUT IT DOWN.. Come to the table with REAL cuts, all around, nothing spared.. or face a government shut down, PERIOD. That's the deal.. TAKE IT or leave it.

Yeah, that would get the public on your side, Rand.

:lol:

The Public is against anything Republican anyway. Take the hit now. The result may be surprising and if not... no worse off then they are now. Remember the Republican Party is dead according to the left.

Last edited:
Sadly, we see many conservatives already buying into the meme that it will be our fault if Obama does not sign the debt ceiling increase legislation.

This is an absolutely perfect example of why so many independents are turned off to the GOP right now, even though only a part of the party is behaving this way.

Wouldn't it make more sense to tone down the crazy rhetoric, get more Republicans elected, legislate and govern in a moderately conservative way, show people it works, gain more trust and votes, win more elections, and continue to move to the right as is appropriate?

These people want too much too soon, and it scares people away. Why in the world don't they see this?

"My way or the highway" doesn't help your cause when you're in the minority.

Sadly, we see many conservatives already buying into the meme that it will be our fault if Obama does not sign the debt ceiling increase legislation.

He had his vicxtory dance without much effort. Now let him sweat and force the cuts or he can explain it by blaming Republicans but that wouldn't alleviate the hurt.

People turn real easy especially when he isn't running again. Enough. It's time to use his tactics..for better or worse.

This is an absolutely perfect example of why so many independents are turned off to the GOP right now, even though only a part of the party is behaving this way.

Wouldn't it make more sense to tone down the crazy rhetoric, get more Republicans elected, legislate and govern in a moderately conservative way, show people it works, gain more trust and votes, win more elections, and continue to move to the right as is appropriate?

These people want too much too soon, and it scares people away. Why in the world don't they see this?

Equivocating bitch, didn't Obama already claim 'my way or the highway' on this?

You TOY with the debt ceiling and your party will feel the pain in the mid terms.

"My way or the highway" doesn't help your cause when you're in the minority..

Well it worked for oBUMa. Now realizing they are the minority, The House still holds the key.

Majority or minority isn't an issue. No debt ceiling without the House.

So in essence the House holds the power.

Equivocating bitch, didn't Obama already claim 'my way or the highway' on this?

That's the proper position for the President to take on this. Any president in fact.

We've tried your "INSANE" way for decades with what results??? DEBT so high it's about to cripple the entire nation.. NO THANKS.. NO MORE.

The Public is against anything Republican anyway. Take the hit now. The result may be surprising and if not... no worse off then they are now.

To gain what?

To lose what?

If you shiut down government - just because you are in a bad mood - or without linking it to something meaningful - then you are guaranteed to wipe yourself out.

Might as well head to the pavilion for a Kool-Aid party. Political suicide. And if you are going to do that - you might as well TRY to get something out of it. So what is it?

Forum List

Back