Rand Paul gets standing ovation at UC Berkeley.

efficient government is like jumbo shrimp....classic oxymoron....

I beg to differ. There have been numerous examples in history of government running things quite efficiently. Shall we cite them? It gets ugly.

The thing is, we don't want government run efficiently. At least not in the same way that we want a business run efficiently. Government is an institution with a completely different set of concerns and a completely different means of achieving them. With government, justice should be the chief concern, not efficiency.
Cite away. I can show you in each case where it wasn't as efficient, and that many more people would have been enslaved if the government was more efficient.

You seem to be missing my point. Or, rather, agreeing with me and not realizing it.

Rand Paul panders at Berkeley

We saw the same thing the last time the Rs started lining up to get crammed into the Clown Car. He lies, gets followers, goes back to telling the truth and people back off.

NEXT!

Personally, I hope he goes for it.

I hope they all go for it cuz the more clowns in the Clown Car, the merrier.

And, remember the last time ... They all turned on each other. Great fun was had by all.

And, America voted Democrat.

:)

Rand does tend to pander, but this is one issue he's been remarkably consistent on. To say that he's simply pandering is nonsense.

I agree to a point. Paul told the audience what they wanted to hear regarding his chosen stances. He didn't tell them the part about his stances that they wouldn't want to hear, because he knew their applause wouldn't follow.
Paul used "the typical politician approach", which is hardly a breath of fresh air.

Last edited:

We saw the same thing the last time the Rs started lining up to get crammed into the Clown Car. He lies, gets followers, goes back to telling the truth and people back off.

NEXT!

And, remember the last time ... They all turned on each other. Great fun was had by all.

Rand does tend to pander, but this is one issue he's been remarkably consistent on. To say that he's simply pandering is nonsense.

I agree to a point. Paul told the audience what they wanted to hear regarding his chosen stances. He didn't tell them the part about his stances that they wouldn't want to hear, because he knew their applause wouldn't follow.
Paul used "the typical politician approach", which is hardly a breath of fresh air.

the fact that he got a standing ovation at Berkley with any message is significant. Spin all you want, this means something.

the fact that he got a standing ovation at Berkley with any message is significant. Spin all you want, this means something.

Where's the spin?
Having a problem with typical politicians, no matter the ideology, disagrees with you?

Where's the spin?
Having a problem with typical politicians, no matter the ideology, disagrees with you?

trying to minimize the significance of Rand Paul at Berkley, thats the spin. His message is appealing to people from very divergent political positions. THAT is significant.

Where's the spin?

trying to minimize the significance of Rand Paul at Berkley, thats the spin. His message is appealing to people from very divergent political positions. THAT is significant.

It is. That's what I find most inspiring about the Pauls. Ron, and to a lesser extent his son Rand, have drawn a clear distinction between authoritarian and libertarian influences in our government. And those influences exist in both major parties.

To me, the next step in real libertarian progress is for the Democrats to get their "Ron Paul" - someone willing to call them back to a commitment individual rights and real civil liberties, and divide their party just as the Pauls have done with the Republicans. I suspect doing so would push the authoritarian wings of both the Democrats and Republicans together, and likewise unite libertarians from the left and the right.

NEXT!

I don't really take issue with politicians focusing on a single issue in a speech. I see your point, but it's just not something that bothers me.

Forum List

Back