Radiation Therapy

Sarah G

When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left
Mar 4, 2009
NW Ohio
Anyone ever had to go through it? What's it like, how long do treatments take?

I am having a lumpectomy and my Oncologist is recommending it because it will lessen the chance of recurrence. Small lump, tiny. Having surgery next week so any quick answers appreciated. :)

I am having a lumpectomy and my Oncologist is recommending it because it will lessen the chance of recurrence. Small lump, tiny. Having surgery next week so any quick answers appreciated. :)
I have, mine took 7 weeks at 5 days a week.

All the best, Sarah.

I have, mine took 7 weeks at 5 days a week.
Yes, they told me 5 days a week, 5-8 weeks but I wondered about the individual treatments. I don't meet with the radiation Dr. until after the surgery so I'm curious.

All the best, Sarah.
Thanks. They found it when I had my mammogram and I was very scared but since talking to doctors, I'm feeling a little better.

But thank you. :)

No personal experience, and was overseas when dad did chemo.

Wish you all the luck needed

I'll pray you have the outcome my sis did. Needle biopsy showed something. Did lumpectomy and it was just calcium.
Good luck to you.

All the best, Sarah.
Thanks. They found it when I had my mammogram and I was very scared but since talking to doctors, I'm feeling a little better.

But thank you. :)

Thanks for all of the well wishes, I so appreciate that. :) I'm just wondering though if any of you have had radiation therapy before.

I was told they are 5 days a week for 5-8 weeks but I wonder how long each treatment usually takes. Just a ball park, if anyone knows?

I had a bit of Melanoma in my neck/shoulder area that got radiated for six weeks. Turned it into a solid mass.

Funny thing was that my hair fell out only from my neck to my cheekbone, not my shoulder nor sideburns. My cheek was baby smooth.

Then it suddenly grew back and looks fine!

My wife just went through it 4 months ago. Hers was a stage 1-2 with nothing that had spread to the lymph nodes. The radiation treatment was 3 weeks at 5 days a week. One thing that you should discuss is the option to lie face down which reduces the exposure of your heart to the radiation. It ended up being no worse than a bad sunburn honestly.

Best of luck to you! It was scary for us but she seems to be ok and is just on meds right now. You don't sound like you are even as far along as my wife, so you will be fine I'm sure.

If you have access to a Cyberknife I highly recommend you use it. A friend who had been diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer lived far longer thanks to that technology than he otherwise would have. Another friend just went through 4 treatments for prostate cancer and he's free and clear.

Whatever your course I wish you good health.

If you have access to a Cyberknife I highly recommend you use it. A friend who had been diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer lived far longer thanks to that technology than he otherwise would have. Another friend just went through 4 treatments for prostate cancer and he's free and clear.

Whatever your course I wish you good health.
Thank you! I will try and find cyberknife.

My wife just went through it 4 months ago. Hers was a stage 1-2 with nothing that had spread to the lymph nodes. The radiation treatment was 3 weeks at 5 days a week. One thing that you should discuss is the option to lie face down which reduces the exposure of your heart to the radiation. It ended up being no worse than a bad sunburn honestly.

Best of luck to you! It was scary for us but she seems to be ok and is just on meds right now. You don't sound like you are even as far along as my wife, so you will be fine I'm sure.
Thanks, they haven't staged it yet but he was talking about estrogen being high projesteron being low and the hers was low so as breast cancer goes, I'm in a good position for a cure. :). Not sure if I got all of the classifications right.

Definitely have the lump surgically removed.

My mom went through that when she was 65.

Some people get lumps earlier.

Her chemo lasted 6 months.

Hope you get better.

My grandmother was diagnosed with larynx cancer when she was in her late fifties. She had surgery to cut out her larynx which was followed up by chemotherapy and radiation therapy. She lived to be 98 years old.

The radiation therapy was tough. She said it hurt a lot and her whole neck looked sunburned. She was very sick. But she eventually got healthier over time and even though she was missing some parts she still lived much longer than an average woman.

Medical technology advanced a lot since then.

Hope you get better.
Thanks. The prognosis is good and I'm 54 so not quite that old but still healthy enough.

I'm not having chemo, just radiation.

My grandmother was diagnosed with larynx cancer when she was in her late fifties. She had surgery to cut out her larynx which was followed up by chemotherapy and radiation therapy. She lived to be 98 years old.

The radiation therapy was tough. She said it hurt a lot and her whole neck looked sunburned. She was very sick. But she eventually got healthier over time and even though she was missing some parts she still lived much longer than an average woman.

Medical technology advanced a lot since then.
I'm one who would love to live until I'm 98. I didn't know radiation therapy hurt. I'm meeting with the radiation people after the surgery so I will have to ask about that.

Thanks for all the info.

I refused it just as I refused chemo. Why? Because the percentages when I checked with radiation, without radiation, both vs not doing both, the size of my cancer tumor and the odds all amounted to only 4% difference WITH both or NONE of the above. 4% only? Meanwhile, my body is being poisoned with chemo and I am deliberately burning the fuck out of my skin/body with radiation for 4 % "better chance to stop it from further growth or spreading"?????? FOUR? Hell no.

But...it's up to you. I recommend you doing the same exploration.

Hope you get better.
Thanks. The prognosis is good and I'm 54 so not quite that old but still healthy enough.

I'm not having chemo, just radiation.
They will tell you to do chemo too. "Just in case". Just a month or two..."just to make sure". Google it. Studies now show oncs and docs do that because of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and that with small cancers....totally unnecessary.

Forum List

Back