Racism?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by RetiredGySgt, Sep 20, 2007.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    If you oppose illegal immigrants your now a racist? I have heard that argument on this board and now we have it officially from two minority groups.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070921/ap_on_re_us/minuteman_grandmother

I would suggest that if you are opposed to LAWS of the Country you live that is a problem. Make frivilous claims makes meanings of words lose their importance. Claiming Minutemen are "racist" is ignorant.

2. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,109
    Funny how the National Council of La Raza is calling someone a racist. Their name literally translates to, National Council of The Race. They have strong ties to MEChA, whose "motto" is "Por La Raza todo, Fuera de La Raza nada", translated: “For the race everything, outside the race nothing”. Nothing racist about that. They also have close ties to the Nation of Aztlán who have been known to espouse anti-semetic and anti-Zionist ideas.

Perhaps La Raza should clean their own house before they start pointing fingers.

3. LiberPublicrat2

LiberPublicrat2 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm am of half mexican heritage and I agree with you. The truth cannot be racist.

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    And I say it's bullshit, and a play on the fearful PC's emotional disorders. I oppose illegal immigration and I don't care if they're as celtic white as I am.

That racism accusation is a smokescreen, plain and simple.

5. LiberPublicrat2

LiberPublicrat2 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Indeed. My great grandfather on my mothers' side died just before he was able to reach america after he obtained his citizenship...luckily my grandfather and his immediate family were legally along for the ride up from the state of Chihuahua, Mexico. My grandfather loved this country until his dying day....infact he influenced my political leanings more than anyone else.

He hated ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.

6. CorpMediaSux

CorpMediaSux Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Here's how you know if your opposition to illegal immigration is rooted in racism or a strict adherence to your sense of the rule of law. First, when you think "illegal immigrant" what is the image that instantly pops up in your brain. Is it a white dude canoeing across the lakes from Canada or is it a poor Mexican laborer? Be honest with yourself, no one else will really know what you thought. But I suspect that most people, if they had some truth serum would admit that for them illegal immigrant = Mexican/poor brown person. It NEVER = white or European person.

You can say "well most illegal immigrants are Mexican" but they aren't all. And if you don't care about who is immigrating then when you think of an illegal immigrant you should see just a faceless law breaker. And frankly when someone can raise their hand and say they follow every single letter of the law to the exact, only then can they get on some law and order bandwagon about illegal immigration.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'm sorry to be rude, but what crap.

8. LiberPublicrat2

LiberPublicrat2 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    LOL! I like this guy. I have no doubt in my mind that you are far from a racist, and I applaud you for that..but this is a poor attempt at psychoanalyzation if I've ever seen one.

9. CorpMediaSux

CorpMediaSux Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hey I never claimed to be a trained psychologist. And my post didn't quite capture what I was trying to describe. I think the main issue is that right now, for all of us, it's very difficult to seperate the illegal immigration issue from who most of us think of as illegal immigrants, poor Mexian laborers.

Because racism is no longer publically acceptable in America "the law" has become a much easier way to express fundamentally racist positions. The Jena 6 is an example of this phenomenon and illegal immigraiton is another. Not everyone who opposes illegal immigraiton is racist, but the vast majority of them employ the language of law and order to say pretty horrible things about Mexicans that they could not say publically.

The other thing that clues you in to the racism within the anti illegal immigraiton rhetoric is the amount of lies and falsehood within that rhetoric. People talk about illegal immigrations on welfare. THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE. you cant get welfare if you are not a citizen. You can fool an employer with a social security card you can't fool federal welfare agencies. The costs that illegal immigrants accrue at emergency rooms is vastly overstated as well. But one of the key outcomes of racism is massive scapegoating.

In so many ways its hard to actually pinpoint how illegal immigration hurts Americans. Driving down wages? That seems to be the fault of greedy corporastions who want to charge very little AND greedy consumers who enjoy products that are affordable thanks to below minimum wage wages. Emergency room issues is a convenient way of not thinking about the crap healthcare system America burdens its citizens with.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    As I posted, this is crap. When I think of our 'Southern border' or 'Northern' for that matter, my concerns are less with illegals from the home countries, but more so with terrorists. The North seems more willing to deal with-see 2000 millenium catches. To the South, the problem is middle easterners posing as Hispanics, not too hard.