Racial Microaggressions

Why shouldn't Whites be wary of Blacks given the level of Black murder rates in this nation?

Because whites have the same rate of murder among themselves. And so why shouldn't blacks hate whites given the continuing history of white racism against blacks?
So you're going to hate all whites because a small minority offend you?
Why not? You do it with Christians.
I don't hate Christian, why would I do that? What I do is simply confront you on your beliefs, as in a debate, because that's what this site is for. Plus, I'm genuinely interested in the subject of why people believe and how they can do it without any proof whatsoever. You see that as hate because you hate it when someone exposes the illogical things in your beliefs, because it makes you question them as well. But hate? Naw, for real, I only hate mooslims. :biggrin:
uh huh
Good, you agree with me for once.

Currently reading “So You Want To Talk About Race” by Ijeoma Oluo. These excerpts helped me further understand the daily and constant struggles some people must deal with.

“Microaggressions are small daily insults and indignities perpetrated against marginalized or oppressed people. Racial microaggressions are insults and indignities perpetrated against people of color. They are more than just annoyances. The cumulative effect of these constant reminders that you are “less than” does real psychological damage. Regular exposure to microaggressions causes a person of color to feel isolated and invalidated. The inability to predict where and when a microaggression may occur leads to hypervigilance, which can then lead to anxiety disorders and depression. As harmful as they can be, they are very hard to address in real life because they are very hard to see.

It is very easy to dismiss a small offense as a misunderstanding or simple mistake.

On their own, each microaggression doesn’t seem like a big deal. But just like one random bee sting might not be a big deal, a few random bee stings every day of your life will have a definite impact on the quality of your life, and your overall relationship with bees.

Because each microaggression is just one sting perpetrated by a different person, it is hard to address with each individual person without (1)becoming exhausted and (2)being written off as hypersensitive.

Much of our oppressive actions are done in complete ignorance of their effect, or subconsciously – where we aren’t fully aware of why we are acting aggressively toward someone. Rarely does somebody perpetrating one say to themselves, “I’m going to find a small way to hurt this person.”

Let’s take a look at some of the ways in which microaggressions show up in everyday conversations for people of color:

“Are you the first person in your family to graduate?” “Are you an affirmative action hire?” “Wow, you speak English really well.” “You aren’t like other black people.” “Why do black people give their kids such funny names?” “That’s so ghetto.” “Is that your real hair? Can I touch it?” “Is the baby-daddy in the picture?” “Do your kids all have the same dad?” “You have such a chip on your shoulder.”

For nonwhites, racial microaggressions find a way into every part of every day. They are constant reminders that you don’t belong, that you are less than, that you are not worthy of the same respect that white people are afforded. They keep you off balance, keep you distracted, and keep you defensive.

Microaggressions are a serious problem beyond the emotional and physical effects they have. They have much broader social implications. They normalize racism. They make racist assumptions a part of everyday life. These microaggressions help hold the system of white supremacy together, because if we didn’t have all these little ways to separate and dehumanize people, we’d empathize with them more fully and then we’d have to really care about the system that is crushing them.”

A microaggression is an innocuous question or statement that a person from a "marginalized group" (defined as people who the mainstream left chooses to recognize as marginalized) happens to find offensive. That's all it is.

Comparing a microaggression to a bee sting is an exaggeration of the impact of microaggressions.

Calling a microaggressin an oppressive action is such a fucking inflation of terms that calling it hyperbolic would be a massive understatement. Asking you where you're from does not, in any way, oppress you.

Normally, I'd give my blessing to anyone who felt the need to use emotionally charged hyperbole to describe minor political grievances, but these days, the hysterical left is taking the hyperbole and treating it like it's literal. Thus, you have Nazi hunters showing up to free speech rallies. If enough lefties start calling microaggressions "acts of oppression" today, a few months down the road we're gonna be hearing stories about how good people have a moral obligation to physically assault people who ask African Americans about their hair.

Stop with the hysterics. Being offended is not an atrocity, for fuck's sake.

It's interesting how many people here seem really offended by the concept of "microaggressions".

It's interesting how many people here seem really offended by the concept of "microaggressions".

Raisin Bran is tasty, but little pieces of it are always all over your teeth afterwords. Microaggression

Right. I think the prefix "micro" kinda gives it away. Why does it piss people off?

Cause their is cereal all over their teeth?

I think it's because they don't wan to acknowledge that they are being shitty human beings.

Raisin Bran is tasty, but little pieces of it are always all over your teeth afterwords. Microaggression

Right. I think the prefix "micro" kinda gives it away. Why does it piss people off?

Cause their is cereal all over their teeth?

I think it's because they don't wan to acknowledge that they are being shitty human beings.

Poor baby, want a Binky?

Yes, we hate stupidity.

Then maybe you examine yourself. This is a term that's been used for 48 years. But just like everything else in this era of white racist denial, white racists pretend it doesn't happen simultaneously as they do it.

Yes, we hate stupidity.

Then maybe you examine yourself. This is a term that's been used for 48 years. But just like everything else in this era of white racist denial, white racists pretend it doesn't happen simultaneously as they do it.

No need to examine myself. I have self esteem unlike you. It's much more fun to examine and laugh at you and your Snowflake friends. You should go back to your coloring book before you collapse into hysterical ranting and raving.

Yes, we hate stupidity.

Q: What's a term that was used for 100 years b4 that? :RockOn: It rhymes with "jigga"

Remember to glide like a 747

Yes, we hate stupidity.

No need to examine myself. I have self esteem unlike you. It's much more fun to examine and laugh at you and your Snowflake friends. You should go back to your coloring book before you collapse into hysterical ranting and raving.

Making fun of others is the hallmark of self-esteem.

W

Yes, we hate stupidity.

When people are as stupid as he is, they deserve to be made fun of. Still triggered, Twinky?

W

Yes, we hate stupidity.

When people are as stupid as he is, they deserve to be made fun of. Still triggered, Twinky?

I just think your claim of self-esteem is a bit shaky. Sounds like you're pretty fucking insecure.

W
Yes, we hate stupidity.

I just think your claim of self-esteem is a bit shaky. Sounds like you're pretty fucking insecure.
Oh my, what a potty mouth. Now we know who has a low self esteem, right Twinky?

Forum List

Back