Racial Microaggressions

Nobody wants to hear anything from a white person's personal experience on these boards.

When I told of the awful things my own child experienced in the Oakland school district, I was taunted by one poster who said he was glad the poor little guy was at the receiving end of racism, had one mod threaten to ban me for objecting to such an attack on my child on this board, and had another mod blame me by saying if I didn't want my child attacked, I shouldn't have told about his experiences.

How disgusting that people are so conditioned to see racism as a one way street that they cannot even bring themselves to sympathize with a child and think he is somehow to blame for being born white.

You guys are here posting volumes of racism and then cry about how no one wants to hear from whites. It's stupid. What's disgusting is that what you whites call racism isn't even racism. You post up racism consistently and cannot understand how a person could tell you they are happy your child faced racism after you taught that kid racism yourself.
I have posted nothing racist, you utter piece of excrement.

Of course not.

The facts remain that whites commit the most crime and have been historically the most criminal and violent race in this country.
The author of So You Want To Talk About Race also addresses crime:
"The belief that black people and people of color are more dangerous, unpredictable and violent is not something that I believe most police officers (and other Americans) even know they believe. But they do believe it deep down. Implicit bias is the beliefs that sit in the back of your brain and inform your actions without your explicit knowledge.

I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge that there is higher crime in some cities where larger minority populations live. Yes, black men are more likely to commit a violent offense than white men. No, this is not "black-on-black" or "brown-on-brown" crime. Those terms are 100 percent racist. It's crime. We don't call what happens in white communities "white-on-white" crime, even though the majority of crimes against white people are perpetrated by other white people.

Crime is a problem within communities. And communities with higher poverty, fewer jobs and less infrastructure are going to have higher crime, regardless of race. When the average black American has one-thirteenth the net worth and the average Hispanic American has one-tenth the net worth of the average white American, and when the poverty rate among Native Americans is over three times that of whites, it is a strong bet that neighborhoods of color are more likely to be poor neighborhoods with higher crime and that higher-priced neighborhoods with easier access to jobs and more funding for education that lead to less crime would be more likely to be populated by comparatively wealthier white people.

Crime is communities of color is often compounded by the contentious relationship with police. Our police force was not created to serve black Americans; it was created to police black Americans and serve white Americans. Our police forces were created not to protect Americans of color, but to control Americans of color. People of color were seen by the police as an inconvenience at best, and a threat at worst, but never as people to protect and serve. This desire to control the behavior of people of color along with disregard for the lives of people of color has been woven throughout the history of American policing. This general attitude toward communities of color was also built into police training and police culture, and strong remnants of that remain today."
the police have a lot more to do than to harass people
sure, some do...they are humans and are not perfect
--but it's not a chronic major problem
Not to serve black Americans? Really? What about the black cops? So many anti-cop posts are done as if the entire American police forces were white only. Yes, there are rogue cops, there is bad and good in everything. Why do people resist arrest or not do as told by law enforcement?
The author of the book I started this thread about shared several stories about when she or family members got pulled over by the police. Then she says this: (I"m going to try to always put in quotes AND italicize her words so they will be recognized as such).

"So maybe that time I got pulled over wasn't about race. Maybe the time I'd been pulled over before that wasn't about race. Maybe even the time before that." But those who demand the smoking gun of a racial slur or swastika or burning cross before they will believe that an individual encounter with the police might be about race are ignoring what we know and what the numbers are bearing out: something is going on and it is not right. We are being targeted. And you can try to explain away one statistic due to geography, one away due to income - you can find reasons for numbers all day. But the fact remains - all across the country, in every type of neighborhood, people of color are being disproportionately criminalized. This is not all in our heads.

And I'm not sure what's worse, the fear and anxiety and fatigue brought on by yet another encounter with an officer that you are hoping and praying to make it out of intact, or the never-ending denial by the rest of society of the fear and anxiety and fatigue you experience as a valid response to the near-constant reminder that those assigned and empowered to protect you see your skin color as evidence of wrongdoing, and could take your freedom and even your life at any time, with no recourse."

This author also explains that our police forces were born from Night Patrols, who had the principal task of controlling black and Native American populations and later of catching escaped slaves and sending them back to their slave masters. Those Night Patrols turned into the country's first police forces. They were used not just to combat crime but to return black Americans to slavery and control and intimidate free blacks. Police were rightfully feared by black Americans.

In the post-reconstruction south, local police sometimes joined in terrorizing black communities. Through the Jim Crow era and the civil rights movement, it was well known that many police officers were members of the KKK. Through much of the 18th , 19th and 20th centuries, American police forces were one of the greatest threats to the safety of black Americans.

She writes: "It is understandable then that the fear and mistrust of police are also woven throughout the history of communities of color, especially black America. The trauma from police brutality has been felt over multiple generations. The generational wounds of police brutality and oppression have not healed, because the brutality and oppression is still happening, even if cops are no longer wearing white hoods or letting their attack dogs loose on us.

This is not to say that the majority of our police officers are racist, hateful monsters. When looking at anti-black bias in police actions, we are looking at the product of police cultural history that has always viewed black Americans as adversaries, and of a popular culture that has always portrayed black Americans as violent criminals not worthy of protection. From our books, TV shows and movies, to our crime focus on news programs - the narrative of the black brute is as strong now as it was when Birth of a Nation was released in 1915.

We hear this repeated in the language of our TV pundits and our politicians. Who will do something about this inner-city crime? Who will keep our streets safe from these thugs? Who will protect us from these super-predators? The belief that black people still need to be controlled by police is promoted by our politicians and funded by our taxpayers."

As an older, white person, I have been moved by this young black author's writing. She is honestly opening up and sharing her pain and asking us to try and understand. Her experiences and her beliefs are just as valid as mine or anyone else's. Some folks are always asking for stats and proof of things. Sometimes we just need to listen with our hearts and stop being so critical of someone who sees and experiences the world differently than we do.
hahaha--yes ---we should not listen to the facts--as usual with the blacks

.The facts.

• In 2015 White individuals were arrested more often for violent crimes than individuals of any other race and accounted for 60.1 percent of those arrests.

ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2015/crime-in-the- u.s.-2015/tables/table-43

Nobody wants to hear anything from a white person's personal experience on these boards.

When I told of the awful things my own child experienced in the Oakland school district, I was taunted by one poster who said he was glad the poor little guy was at the receiving end of racism, had one mod threaten to ban me for objecting to such an attack on my child on this board, and had another mod blame me by saying if I didn't want my child attacked, I shouldn't have told about his experiences.

How disgusting that people are so conditioned to see racism as a one way street that they cannot even bring themselves to sympathize with a child and think he is somehow to blame for being born white.

You guys are here posting volumes of racism and then cry about how no one wants to hear from whites. It's stupid. What's disgusting is that what you whites call racism isn't even racism. You post up racism consistently and cannot understand how a person could tell you they are happy your child faced racism after you taught that kid racism yourself.
I haven' taught my daughter racism. She is a wonderful, loving person.

We know Molly. You just teach your kids how black neighborhoods are more violent and unsafe but that's not racism.
Once again playing the asshole huh? I didn't say that about all black neighborhoods, nor did I teach anyone that. No it isnt racism to teach your children to be safe, and to point out which neighborhoods arent safe. It isnt always black neighborhoods either. Once again, you are race baiting. You always paint with a fucking broad brush too. I said where I live, NOW, the black neighborhoods are not the safest, that in no way is racist to point out the truth. Try again asshole.

The author of So You Want To Talk About Race also addresses crime:
"The belief that black people and people of color are more dangerous, unpredictable and violent is not something that I believe most police officers (and other Americans) even know they believe. But they do believe it deep down. Implicit bias is the beliefs that sit in the back of your brain and inform your actions without your explicit knowledge.

I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge that there is higher crime in some cities where larger minority populations live. Yes, black men are more likely to commit a violent offense than white men. No, this is not "black-on-black" or "brown-on-brown" crime. Those terms are 100 percent racist. It's crime. We don't call what happens in white communities "white-on-white" crime, even though the majority of crimes against white people are perpetrated by other white people.

Crime is a problem within communities. And communities with higher poverty, fewer jobs and less infrastructure are going to have higher crime, regardless of race. When the average black American has one-thirteenth the net worth and the average Hispanic American has one-tenth the net worth of the average white American, and when the poverty rate among Native Americans is over three times that of whites, it is a strong bet that neighborhoods of color are more likely to be poor neighborhoods with higher crime and that higher-priced neighborhoods with easier access to jobs and more funding for education that lead to less crime would be more likely to be populated by comparatively wealthier white people.

Crime is communities of color is often compounded by the contentious relationship with police. Our police force was not created to serve black Americans; it was created to police black Americans and serve white Americans. Our police forces were created not to protect Americans of color, but to control Americans of color. People of color were seen by the police as an inconvenience at best, and a threat at worst, but never as people to protect and serve. This desire to control the behavior of people of color along with disregard for the lives of people of color has been woven throughout the history of American policing. This general attitude toward communities of color was also built into police training and police culture, and strong remnants of that remain today."
the police have a lot more to do than to harass people
sure, some do...they are humans and are not perfect
--but it's not a chronic major problem
Not to serve black Americans? Really? What about the black cops? So many anti-cop posts are done as if the entire American police forces were white only. Yes, there are rogue cops, there is bad and good in everything. Why do people resist arrest or not do as told by law enforcement?
The author of the book I started this thread about shared several stories about when she or family members got pulled over by the police. Then she says this: (I"m going to try to always put in quotes AND italicize her words so they will be recognized as such).

"So maybe that time I got pulled over wasn't about race. Maybe the time I'd been pulled over before that wasn't about race. Maybe even the time before that." But those who demand the smoking gun of a racial slur or swastika or burning cross before they will believe that an individual encounter with the police might be about race are ignoring what we know and what the numbers are bearing out: something is going on and it is not right. We are being targeted. And you can try to explain away one statistic due to geography, one away due to income - you can find reasons for numbers all day. But the fact remains - all across the country, in every type of neighborhood, people of color are being disproportionately criminalized. This is not all in our heads.

And I'm not sure what's worse, the fear and anxiety and fatigue brought on by yet another encounter with an officer that you are hoping and praying to make it out of intact, or the never-ending denial by the rest of society of the fear and anxiety and fatigue you experience as a valid response to the near-constant reminder that those assigned and empowered to protect you see your skin color as evidence of wrongdoing, and could take your freedom and even your life at any time, with no recourse."

This author also explains that our police forces were born from Night Patrols, who had the principal task of controlling black and Native American populations and later of catching escaped slaves and sending them back to their slave masters. Those Night Patrols turned into the country's first police forces. They were used not just to combat crime but to return black Americans to slavery and control and intimidate free blacks. Police were rightfully feared by black Americans.

In the post-reconstruction south, local police sometimes joined in terrorizing black communities. Through the Jim Crow era and the civil rights movement, it was well known that many police officers were members of the KKK. Through much of the 18th , 19th and 20th centuries, American police forces were one of the greatest threats to the safety of black Americans.

She writes: "It is understandable then that the fear and mistrust of police are also woven throughout the history of communities of color, especially black America. The trauma from police brutality has been felt over multiple generations. The generational wounds of police brutality and oppression have not healed, because the brutality and oppression is still happening, even if cops are no longer wearing white hoods or letting their attack dogs loose on us.

This is not to say that the majority of our police officers are racist, hateful monsters. When looking at anti-black bias in police actions, we are looking at the product of police cultural history that has always viewed black Americans as adversaries, and of a popular culture that has always portrayed black Americans as violent criminals not worthy of protection. From our books, TV shows and movies, to our crime focus on news programs - the narrative of the black brute is as strong now as it was when Birth of a Nation was released in 1915.

We hear this repeated in the language of our TV pundits and our politicians. Who will do something about this inner-city crime? Who will keep our streets safe from these thugs? Who will protect us from these super-predators? The belief that black people still need to be controlled by police is promoted by our politicians and funded by our taxpayers."

As an older, white person, I have been moved by this young black author's writing. She is honestly opening up and sharing her pain and asking us to try and understand. Her experiences and her beliefs are just as valid as mine or anyone else's. Some folks are always asking for stats and proof of things. Sometimes we just need to listen with our hearts and stop being so critical of someone who sees and experiences the world differently than we do.
hahaha--yes ---we should not listen to the facts--as usual with the blacks

.The facts.

• In 2015 White individuals were arrested more often for violent crimes than individuals of any other race and accounted for 60.1 percent of those arrests.

ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2015/crime-in-the- u.s.-2015/tables/table-43

How about per capita? There are more white people. duh

I haven' taught my daughter racism. She is a wonderful, loving person.

We know Molly. You just teach your kids how black neighborhoods are more violent and unsafe but that's not racism.
Once again playing the asshole huh? I didn't say that about all black neighborhoods, nor did I teach anyone that. No it isnt racism to teach your children to be safe, and to point out which neighborhoods arent safe. It isnt always black neighborhoods either. Once again, you are race baiting. You always paint with a fucking broad brush too. I said where I live, NOW, the black neighborhoods are not the safest, that in no way is racist to point out the truth. Try again asshole.
pointing out the truth IS racist in the new Dictionary--liberal edition

Yet, you don't see the self fulfilling prophecy created from whites who assume blacks are inferior....ie, poor choice makers, personally irresponsible, violent, etc , relative to whites? Its whites assuming the worst in blacks, then treating blacks differently based upon those beliefs, that creates the oself fulfilling prophecy of the worst in blacks.

I suggest blacks stop being irresponsible, violent, into drugs, crime, prostitution, robbery, welfare, illegitimate childen, etc. Then there will be no problem. You can do all that bad stuff and then try to blame it on us, but guess what: we just stopped accepting any of that nonsense. If you all act bad and criminal, that's on you.

Every action creates a reaction. For the last 300 years whites have racist actions against blacks. Each action created a negative reaction to blacks. In turn, whites then use the negative reaction to justify and fuel more racist actions, which in turn manifest more negative reactions in blacks, which in turn.....etc, etc.

One generation craps on you and the next generation pisses on you because you smell like crap, the next generation spits on you because you smell like piss...etc, etc.

Racism is self fueling. Each generation of whites fuel their racism from the negative reaction to blacks from the racism of the previous generation of whites...all while never attributing the conditions to racism.

Why shouldn't Whites be wary of Blacks given the level of Black murder rates in this nation?

Because whites have the same rate of murder among themselves. And so why shouldn't blacks hate whites given the continuing history of white racism against blacks?
So you're going to hate all whites because a small minority offend you?
Why not? You do it with Christians.

Currently reading “So You Want To Talk About Race” by Ijeoma Oluo. These excerpts helped me further understand the daily and constant struggles some people must deal with.

“Microaggressions are small daily insults and indignities perpetrated against marginalized or oppressed people. Racial microaggressions are insults and indignities perpetrated against people of color. They are more than just annoyances. The cumulative effect of these constant reminders that you are “less than” does real psychological damage. Regular exposure to microaggressions causes a person of color to feel isolated and invalidated. The inability to predict where and when a microaggression may occur leads to hypervigilance, which can then lead to anxiety disorders and depression. As harmful as they can be, they are very hard to address in real life because they are very hard to see.

It is very easy to dismiss a small offense as a misunderstanding or simple mistake.

On their own, each microaggression doesn’t seem like a big deal. But just like one random bee sting might not be a big deal, a few random bee stings every day of your life will have a definite impact on the quality of your life, and your overall relationship with bees.

Because each microaggression is just one sting perpetrated by a different person, it is hard to address with each individual person without (1)becoming exhausted and (2)being written off as hypersensitive.

Much of our oppressive actions are done in complete ignorance of their effect, or subconsciously – where we aren’t fully aware of why we are acting aggressively toward someone. Rarely does somebody perpetrating one say to themselves, “I’m going to find a small way to hurt this person.”

Let’s take a look at some of the ways in which microaggressions show up in everyday conversations for people of color:

“Are you the first person in your family to graduate?” “Are you an affirmative action hire?” “Wow, you speak English really well.” “You aren’t like other black people.” “Why do black people give their kids such funny names?” “That’s so ghetto.” “Is that your real hair? Can I touch it?” “Is the baby-daddy in the picture?” “Do your kids all have the same dad?” “You have such a chip on your shoulder.”

For nonwhites, racial microaggressions find a way into every part of every day. They are constant reminders that you don’t belong, that you are less than, that you are not worthy of the same respect that white people are afforded. They keep you off balance, keep you distracted, and keep you defensive.

Microaggressions are a serious problem beyond the emotional and physical effects they have. They have much broader social implications. They normalize racism. They make racist assumptions a part of everyday life. These microaggressions help hold the system of white supremacy together, because if we didn’t have all these little ways to separate and dehumanize people, we’d empathize with them more fully and then we’d have to really care about the system that is crushing them.”
There is a distribution for everything. People dehumanize people all the time. It's never right. They do it for all sorts of reasons and it is hurtful to others. But the people they are hurting the most are themselves.

I read through the thread. I think you are genuine and even if you are not, I like your style.

Currently reading “So You Want To Talk About Race” by Ijeoma Oluo. These excerpts helped me further understand the daily and constant struggles some people must deal with.

“Microaggressions are small daily insults and indignities perpetrated against marginalized or oppressed people. Racial microaggressions are insults and indignities perpetrated against people of color. They are more than just annoyances. The cumulative effect of these constant reminders that you are “less than” does real psychological damage. Regular exposure to microaggressions causes a person of color to feel isolated and invalidated. The inability to predict where and when a microaggression may occur leads to hypervigilance, which can then lead to anxiety disorders and depression. As harmful as they can be, they are very hard to address in real life because they are very hard to see.

It is very easy to dismiss a small offense as a misunderstanding or simple mistake.

On their own, each microaggression doesn’t seem like a big deal. But just like one random bee sting might not be a big deal, a few random bee stings every day of your life will have a definite impact on the quality of your life, and your overall relationship with bees.

Because each microaggression is just one sting perpetrated by a different person, it is hard to address with each individual person without (1)becoming exhausted and (2)being written off as hypersensitive.

Much of our oppressive actions are done in complete ignorance of their effect, or subconsciously – where we aren’t fully aware of why we are acting aggressively toward someone. Rarely does somebody perpetrating one say to themselves, “I’m going to find a small way to hurt this person.”

Let’s take a look at some of the ways in which microaggressions show up in everyday conversations for people of color:

“Are you the first person in your family to graduate?” “Are you an affirmative action hire?” “Wow, you speak English really well.” “You aren’t like other black people.” “Why do black people give their kids such funny names?” “That’s so ghetto.” “Is that your real hair? Can I touch it?” “Is the baby-daddy in the picture?” “Do your kids all have the same dad?” “You have such a chip on your shoulder.”

For nonwhites, racial microaggressions find a way into every part of every day. They are constant reminders that you don’t belong, that you are less than, that you are not worthy of the same respect that white people are afforded. They keep you off balance, keep you distracted, and keep you defensive.

Microaggressions are a serious problem beyond the emotional and physical effects they have. They have much broader social implications. They normalize racism. They make racist assumptions a part of everyday life. These microaggressions help hold the system of white supremacy together, because if we didn’t have all these little ways to separate and dehumanize people, we’d empathize with them more fully and then we’d have to really care about the system that is crushing them.”

You poor, poor, baby! Would you like pacifier?

Here's some "Microaggressions" I surely don't get nervous when older black people are around, it's them young hardheads I worry about. You know why? Because sometimes they're up to no good, that's why.

That clip is a bit "over the top," but I do understand that sometimes those you call young hardheads are indeed up to no good. But not all of them and not all the time. I know some terrific kids, bright, educated and who wouldn't hurt anyone. Yet they still get "the look" and the vibe of fear when they walk by. One kid told me he just wanted to shout out "I'm NOT going to hurt you!"

They get the look, because being wrong is deadly. You want to smile sweetly and walk on by, only to be sucker punched, knocked out and robbed.

Do not let a black person walk behind you. If necessary, put your back up against a wall and wait until they pass. Do not get into an elevator if the only other passenger is black. If you come upon a group of young black men, cross the street. Make eye contact, so they know they were noticed. When leaving a shopping mall, if you see that you are being followed by a black, turn around and go back into the mall until it is safe to leave. I wear a shoulder purse cross body with the body of the hand bag under my arm.

Just to make sure blacks know that I'm a pisser, I wear hoop earrings!

I know older people who have taken to walking with a cane so they have a weapon at hand. Many martial arts studios now have classes in cane fighting for older people. Always, always, always, make sure you know who is behind you. The entire pleasure of the black knock out game is to attack someone who is unaware. Always be aware.

I find that a 9 mil in my purse works wonders

another DUMBASS thread
when you tell someone they speak English well--that's a COMPLIMENT
I can understand foreigners better than some blacks

considering blacks graduate at lower levels, I always ask my black 'friends' ''are you the first of your family to graduate''?? they don't seem to mind.... their answer is usually ''no, I didn't graduate''

Then you have some low class "black friends".

Birds of a feather?
actually I don't have any black friends Mr Dumbass
hahahahhahahahahahahahahahah
the facts remain--blacks graduate at lower levels

I didn't believe you had any ""Black friends" to begin with. To that I say, "good for them".

I personally can understand verbal microaggressions, and agree that people of ALL ethnicities should do their best to avoid them.

I remember that some African Americans felt very hurt when some people on TV would keep referring to "Obama" instead of "President Obama."
I am old enough to remember when many Caucasian people (especially in the South) would never use a title to address an African American.

NEVERTHELESS, physical microaggressions may (sadly) be necessary for one's physical welfare.

a. At least two posters referred to some people passing up an elevator for the next one.

i . YES, that would be very hurtful to a well-behaved young man inside that elevator.
ii. BUT the person waiting for an elevator does NOT know anything about that young man. Given crime statistics, should that person take a chance?

“So You Want To Talk About Race” by Ijeoma Oluo
How do you even pronounce that name, or is it a typo?

I suggest blacks stop being irresponsible, violent, into drugs, crime, prostitution, robbery, welfare, illegitimate childen, etc. Then there will be no problem. You can do all that bad stuff and then try to blame it on us, but guess what: we just stopped accepting any of that nonsense. If you all act bad and criminal, that's on you.

Every action creates a reaction. For the last 300 years whites have racist actions against blacks. Each action created a negative reaction to blacks. In turn, whites then use the negative reaction to justify and fuel more racist actions, which in turn manifest more negative reactions in blacks, which in turn.....etc, etc.

One generation craps on you and the next generation pisses on you because you smell like crap, the next generation spits on you because you smell like piss...etc, etc.

Racism is self fueling. Each generation of whites fuel their racism from the negative reaction to blacks from the racism of the previous generation of whites...all while never attributing the conditions to racism.

Why shouldn't Whites be wary of Blacks given the level of Black murder rates in this nation?

Because whites have the same rate of murder among themselves. And so why shouldn't blacks hate whites given the continuing history of white racism against blacks?
I don't hate Christian, why would I do that? What I do is simply confront you on your beliefs, as in a debate, because that's what this site is for. Plus, I'm genuinely interested in the subject of why people believe and how they can do it without any proof whatsoever. You see that as hate because you hate it when someone exposes the illogical things in your beliefs, because it makes you question them as well. But hate? Naw, for real, I only hate mooslims. :biggrin:

I personally can understand verbal microaggressions, and agree that people of ALL ethnicities should do their best to avoid them.

I remember that some African Americans felt very hurt when some people on TV would keep referring to "Obama" instead of "President Obama."
I am old enough to remember when many Caucasian people (especially in the South) would never use a title to address an African American.

NEVERTHELESS, physical microaggressions may (sadly) be necessary for one's physical welfare.

a. At least two posters referred to some people passing up an elevator for the next one.

i . YES, that would be very hurtful to a well-behaved young man inside that elevator.
ii. BUT the person waiting for an elevator does NOT know anything about that young man. Given crime statistics, should that person take a chance?

If you are about crime statistics and not racism, then you fear white males the most. OK Parser? Please try looking up the actual crime stats before you talk.

I don't hate Christian, why would I do that? What I do is simply confront you on your beliefs, as in a debate, because that's what this site is for. Plus, I'm genuinely interested in the subject of why people believe and how they can do it without any proof whatsoever. You see that as hate because you hate it when someone exposes the illogical things in your beliefs, because it makes you question them as well. But hate? Naw, for real, I only hate mooslims. :biggrin:

Almost everything you believe is without fact to prove it.

Almost everything you believe is without fact to prove it.
What would you like me to prove? :popcorn:

uh huh

Forum List

Back