Racial Microaggressions

LOIE

Gold Member
May 11, 2017
Currently reading “So You Want To Talk About Race” by Ijeoma Oluo. These excerpts helped me further understand the daily and constant struggles some people must deal with.

“Microaggressions are small daily insults and indignities perpetrated against marginalized or oppressed people. Racial microaggressions are insults and indignities perpetrated against people of color. They are more than just annoyances. The cumulative effect of these constant reminders that you are “less than” does real psychological damage. Regular exposure to microaggressions causes a person of color to feel isolated and invalidated. The inability to predict where and when a microaggression may occur leads to hypervigilance, which can then lead to anxiety disorders and depression. As harmful as they can be, they are very hard to address in real life because they are very hard to see.

It is very easy to dismiss a small offense as a misunderstanding or simple mistake.

On their own, each microaggression doesn’t seem like a big deal. But just like one random bee sting might not be a big deal, a few random bee stings every day of your life will have a definite impact on the quality of your life, and your overall relationship with bees.

Because each microaggression is just one sting perpetrated by a different person, it is hard to address with each individual person without (1)becoming exhausted and (2)being written off as hypersensitive.

Much of our oppressive actions are done in complete ignorance of their effect, or subconsciously – where we aren’t fully aware of why we are acting aggressively toward someone. Rarely does somebody perpetrating one say to themselves, “I’m going to find a small way to hurt this person.”

Let’s take a look at some of the ways in which microaggressions show up in everyday conversations for people of color:

“Are you the first person in your family to graduate?” “Are you an affirmative action hire?” “Wow, you speak English really well.” “You aren’t like other black people.” “Why do black people give their kids such funny names?” “That’s so ghetto.” “Is that your real hair? Can I touch it?” “Is the baby-daddy in the picture?” “Do your kids all have the same dad?” “You have such a chip on your shoulder.”

For nonwhites, racial microaggressions find a way into every part of every day. They are constant reminders that you don’t belong, that you are less than, that you are not worthy of the same respect that white people are afforded. They keep you off balance, keep you distracted, and keep you defensive.

Microaggressions are a serious problem beyond the emotional and physical effects they have. They have much broader social implications. They normalize racism. They make racist assumptions a part of everyday life. These microaggressions help hold the system of white supremacy together, because if we didn’t have all these little ways to separate and dehumanize people, we’d empathize with them more fully and then we’d have to really care about the system that is crushing them.”

GF, did you really start a thread about "microagressions"?

I'm sorry you didn't receive a Socratic liberal education like I did. You got robbed, it angers me.

Currently reading “So You Want To Talk About Race” by Ijeoma Oluo. These excerpts helped me further understand the daily and constant struggles some people must deal with.

“Microaggressions are small daily insults and indignities perpetrated against marginalized or oppressed people. Racial microaggressions are insults and indignities perpetrated against people of color. They are more than just annoyances. The cumulative effect of these constant reminders that you are “less than” does real psychological damage. Regular exposure to microaggressions causes a person of color to feel isolated and invalidated. The inability to predict where and when a microaggression may occur leads to hypervigilance, which can then lead to anxiety disorders and depression. As harmful as they can be, they are very hard to address in real life because they are very hard to see.

It is very easy to dismiss a small offense as a misunderstanding or simple mistake.

On their own, each microaggression doesn’t seem like a big deal. But just like one random bee sting might not be a big deal, a few random bee stings every day of your life will have a definite impact on the quality of your life, and your overall relationship with bees.

Because each microaggression is just one sting perpetrated by a different person, it is hard to address with each individual person without (1)becoming exhausted and (2)being written off as hypersensitive.

Much of our oppressive actions are done in complete ignorance of their effect, or subconsciously – where we aren’t fully aware of why we are acting aggressively toward someone. Rarely does somebody perpetrating one say to themselves, “I’m going to find a small way to hurt this person.”

Let’s take a look at some of the ways in which microaggressions show up in everyday conversations for people of color:

“Are you the first person in your family to graduate?” “Are you an affirmative action hire?” “Wow, you speak English really well.” “You aren’t like other black people.” “Why do black people give their kids such funny names?” “That’s so ghetto.” “Is that your real hair? Can I touch it?” “Is the baby-daddy in the picture?” “Do your kids all have the same dad?” “You have such a chip on your shoulder.”

For nonwhites, racial microaggressions find a way into every part of every day. They are constant reminders that you don’t belong, that you are less than, that you are not worthy of the same respect that white people are afforded. They keep you off balance, keep you distracted, and keep you defensive.

Microaggressions are a serious problem beyond the emotional and physical effects they have. They have much broader social implications. They normalize racism. They make racist assumptions a part of everyday life. These microaggressions help hold the system of white supremacy together, because if we didn’t have all these little ways to separate and dehumanize people, we’d empathize with them more fully and then we’d have to really care about the system that is crushing them.”
You're trying too hard to come to grips with the irreversible choices you've made in life... You should have listened...

Microagressions are not a serious problem, or a problem at all, being unable to cope, is.

My thoughts?

iu

Yeah right nothing is a problem until whites imagine they are being screwed then the earth must stop spinning until their white asses get their way.

Yeah right nothing is a problem until whites imagine they are being screwed then the earth must stop spinning until their white asses get their way.

You're like what Reagan said of "his liberal friends":

You know so much that just isn't so.

Are you the first person in your family to graduate?”

Why would anyone ask that question? Every race is asked that question.

Microagressions are not a serious problem, or a problem at all, being unable to cope, is.

My thoughts?

iu
The author of the book disagrees with your thoughts - She says further: "Microaggressions aren't always delivered in words. It's the woman who grabs her purse as you walk by. The store clerk following you around. The person speaking loudly and slowly to you because you probably don't understand English. The person locking their car door as you walk past their vehicle. The high-end sales clerk who assumes you didn't come to shop. The fellow customers who assume you are an employee. The people who decide to take the next elevator. The kids whose parents say that they can't come play with your kid.

For nonwhites, racial microaggressions find a way into every part of every day."

I personally fail to see how something that finds a way into every part of every day can be considered not a serious problem.

Here's some "Microaggressions" I surely don't get nervous when older black people are around, it's them young hardheads I worry about. You know why? Because sometimes they're up to no good, that's why.

You're like what Reagan said of "his liberal friends":

You know so much that just isn't so.

I know so much that is so that you don't dare try taking me on.

Here's some "Microaggressions" I surely don't get nervous when older black people are around, it's them young hardheads I worry about. You know why? Because sometimes they're up to no good, that's why.

There are young hardhead whites. Funny how they don't get mentioned just like every other problem whites have.

Forum List

Back