Quitting Smoking

Man, I have tried to quit many many times....I just dont have the will power. I quit drinking 18 years ago and never looked back; wish I could do the same with the smokes, but I am just TOO addicted.

speederdoc said:
I was on the gum for 4 years, now switched to the Commit lozenges. Not much desire to smoke anymore, but I'm hooked on the lozenges...especially when irritated or stressed (at work).

Benefits: you trade nasty smoke-smelling clothes and breath for minty fresh breath. No risk of lung cancer. Unknown risk of mouth/throat cancer, but probably nil or almost certainly less then tobacco. Same with bladder cancer and stomach cancer....unknown but probably zero and (hopefully) less than tobacco. You don't have to "take a break" from what you are doing...just pop one in and keep on keeping on. Still get a bit of oral fixation. Kids aren't corrupted.

Drawbacks: More expensive than smokes. Less fun. Don't really get to take a break from what you are doing. Not QUITE as good of a rush, but close. Not as easy to buy as smokes. Not easy or fun to do when drinking.

Good luck!

Thanks doc.

Day 8 and still going. The patch seems to be doing the job. :)

CSM said:
Man, I have tried to quit many many times....I just dont have the will power. I quit drinking 18 years ago and never looked back; wish I could do the same with the smokes, but I am just TOO addicted.

I guess the more you have tried the better chance of being successful on the next try. No reason to give up... give it another run let's quit together!

no1tovote4 said:
I guess the more you have tried the better chance of being successful on the next try. No reason to give up... give it another run let's quit together!

Today is day 19 for me........ and I really don't have any urges. Yet......

Okay, today is day 20 and all is going good. I made it through my toughest test yet last night..... the wife and I went out for dinner and some drinks and I made it through the bar scene, a bottle of wine, a bottle of champagne and pre/post dinner drinks without breaking down.....

Now, I did take about 4 hits off a blunt in the lounge..... is that smoke'n? lol

Day 11 - Almost broke down over the weekend. I actually took a drag off of a friend's cigarette. It tasted like crap...

no1tovote4 said:
Day 11 - Almost broke down over the weekend. I actually took a drag off of a friend's cigarette. It tasted like crap...
The biggest mistake I made was at week #2, being around others that smoked just didn't work well for me. The smell was awful, but eventually I broke down.

Mr. P said:
The biggest mistake I made was at week #2, being around others that smoked just didn't work well for me. The smell was awful, but eventually I broke down.

Well, I failed miserably in this attempt when I got drunk at about day 15. I was shamed and hoped I could correct and start over, but it didn't pan out. I will begin again soon and will admit my failures and successes openly in this thread.

:smoke:

no1tovote4 said:
Well, I failed miserably in this attempt when I got drunk at about day 15. I was shamed and hoped I could correct and start over, but it didn't pan out. I will begin again soon and will admit my failures and successes openly in this thread.

:smoke:

sorry to hear that no1. I am on day 32 but I have had one cigarette during this time. And mine was during some drink'n but I haven't had any others. I did take a couple of hits off a blunt (cigar and weed mixed) a couple of weekends ago, but that's about it. I am still not having any urges to smoke though which is very nice. I stopped taking the wellbutrin too about a week ago (can't find my bottle since we are moving and I have no idea which box it is in! lol).

try again and try again soon. I find it is better if you try soon after failure. don't give up!

Hello people, you know smoking, is a very big problem in our community wherein all youth enjoy a lot in terms of smoking, in every problem there is a solution right? What I can give an advice to you guys, try our product, NOSMOQ product, I don’t want to force you to buy, my idea is to try our product, coz it is really2x effective, it will solve the problem for those people became an addict of it. You know our product is nicotine free, it’s like a cigarette form, but it can help you to quit. If you have further questions about our product please visit our site:

Thank you and Goodluck!!!

YOUR NOT WELCOME AND GOODBYE!

Learn to read rules!

I am on day 10 with no slips !!!!!Stopped cold-turkey from 3 packs aday. was in the hospital twice in one month with heart problems, something about the arteries being real slow flowing that feed the heart. only been 10 days and I havent felt this good in many years. of course the heart meds may have a bit to do about that but I have no doubt I will never fire up a cigerette again. stopped the weed about 6 weeks ago too. NOW THAT I MAY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH down the road. good luck to all

jon_forward said:
I am on day 10 with no slips !!!!!Stopped cold-turkey from 3 packs aday. was in the hospital twice in one month with heart problems, something about the arteries being real slow flowing that feed the heart. only been 10 days and I havent felt this good in many years. of course the heart meds may have a bit to do about that but I have no doubt I will never fire up a cigerette again. stopped the weed about 6 weeks ago too. NOW THAT I MAY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH down the road. good luck to all

Very cool. I hope you have victory. I think the visits to the doctor would be good incentive, however the docs keep telling me I am healthy...

I gave up smoking last year.I used the patches as well.Strange side affects with them though.I had weird nightmares whilst using them.One time i was chased by a giant mars bar.I think this is a common problem as a few of my friends have mentioned this to me as well and now the company that make the patches have started doing 16hr patches instead of 24hr.
A helpful line to remember as well is "Never give up giving up".
The goverment over here also puts lots of adverts on the tv to deter people.Some are quite extreme but is getting the message home to people. It shows two scientists holding a smokers artery.Then one of them pinches it between his thumb and index finger and pulls it slowly through his fingers.This squeezes a rediculous amount of fat out of the end of the artery and states that this is a typical smokers artery.Then comes the logo , give up before you clog up completely.

taff said:
I gave up smoking last year.I used the patches as well.Strange side affects with them though.I had weird nightmares whilst using them.One time i was chased by a giant mars bar.I think this is a common problem as a few of my friends have mentioned this to me as well and now the company that make the patches have started doing 16hr patches instead of 24hr.
The goverment over here also puts lots of adverts on the tv to deter people.Some are quite extreme but is getting the message home to people. It shows two scientists holding a smokers artery.Then one of them pinches it between his thumb and index finger and pulls it slowly through his fingers.This squeezes a rediculous amount of fat out of the end of the artery and states that this is a typical smokers artery.Then comes the logo , give up before you clog up completely.

Yeah, intense dreams are one of the side effects. I use the 24 hr patch and remove it before I sleep, putting a new one on in the morning. Works good for me.

taff said:

Indeed, that grossed me out completely.

Then again, would this same demonstration conducted on the average deceased American non-smoker not be as grotesque?

After all, we all accumulate fatty deposits in our arteries over time, and heart disease is still the #1 cause of death in America, regardless of smoking habits.

If I don't use nicotine, am I somehow guaranteed a smaller sample of fatty deposits during my autopsy?

These government sponsored commericials, funded based upon lawsuits against tobacco companies, have shock value, for sure. But what can we actually glean as scientific fact from the one sample here?

Absolutely nothing. Just rampant propaganda.

F.Y.I.: Sure smoking is bad for you, but let's see the artery from the average deceased American at 55? Do you think fatty deposits won't also squirt out in a grotesque fashion?

Comrade said:
Indeed, that grossed me out completely.

Then again, would this same demonstration conducted on the average deceased American non-smoker not be as grotesque?

After all, we all accumulate fatty deposits in our arteries over time, and heart disease is still the #1 cause of death in America, regardless of smoking habits.

If I don't use nicotine, am I somehow guaranteed a smaller sample of fatty deposits during my autopsy?

These government sponsored commericials, funded based upon lawsuits against tobacco companies, have shock value, for sure. But what can we actually glean as scientific fact from the one sample here?

Absolutely nothing. Just rampant propaganda.

F.Y.I.: Sure smoking is bad for you, but let's see the artery from the average deceased American at 55? Do you think fatty deposits won't also squirt out in a grotesque fashion?
Your probably right with the amount of fast food we eat today.However giving up smoking is as we know psychological.The last thing you wanted to do after watching this advert is place a cigarette in your mouth.So you could say job done by the goverment.

I roll my own ciggarettes and I find quitting to be kind of tough especially when I have lots of work to do. Among other things the physical act of rolling is really relaxing and then of course so is smoking. Good luck to all those who are trying to quit. I am about to join a rugby team and I am hoping that being on a team again will help me stop smoking.
Cheers
Huck

I just want my share of the bucks the lawyers got when the "proved" that the tobacco industry manipilated nicotine levels to keep me addicted. Victims don't get compensation for things like this anymore???

Forum List

Back