Quitting Smoking

Bonnie said:
I had a good friend that smoked 2 packs a day for 17 years and he quit with the patches.......He swears by them. Also chewing gum and candy helps keep the mouth busy and uses nervous energy....Definately a worth while goal, he feels so much better now..

So far so good, and I am using the Patch. It has been 2 days now, starting on the third....

Yesterday was tough, the littlest was crying in the car during a 2 hour road trip in the snow.

:eek2:

no1tovote4 said:
So far so good, and I am using the Patch. It has been 2 days now, starting on the third....

Yesterday was tough, the littlest was crying in the car during a 2 hour road trip in the snow.

:eek2:

For my friend it took about 2 weeks till he felt confident that he could really quit, but patches were the only thing that helped. Keep with it......Ill keep encouraging you!!!

no1tovote4 said:
It is my main reason for quitting. Not for the dying early part, but because I am my Daughter's hero (she's three) and I cannot have her outside pretending to smoke with me. I have got to set some kind of example here. However it is tough.

I started smokiing while in the service and had at it for roughly 20 years...pack a day kinda guy.

My son was born, I looked at him when he was all juicy in the delivery room, and promised him on the spot I would not smoke a cig again. It has been almost 18 months, and I don't miss it at all.

There is no reason why you cannot resolve to do it, and stick to it. The only person to blame for failing to succeed is yourself. If you can't make the promise to yourself, and have the integrity to keep your promise, that is fine, it is the way you chose to be...otherwise, you CAN quit smoking or accomplish anything you want with the willpower and determination (and maybe a little can of motivation from a supportive friend or small child)

I would bet the bank that you can quit anytime you chose to do it, and be faithful to your promise.

Ah, Crap! I failed, I went and bought a pack. I will begin the aggravating process again as soon as I have finished with this pack. I think I stopped with the patch too quickly. Damn.

I feel like this guy.

:crutch:

dilloduck said:
GO DUDE !!! I'm heading that way too---soon !

Thanks dillo, I am sure that if I weren't on the patch I wouldn't have made it this far. So far I have survived my daughter's B-Day party without incident. Let's see how far I can go.

Mr. P said:
Four days! :clap:
Here's an interesting thought to help keep going....You don't smoke now, why would you want to start?

Yeah and it's just too expensive too.

I am going to reward myself by going out to breakfast today. :)

Mr. P said:
Drop the saved money you would spend in a jar for the next vacations' mad money. :)

It has been almost a month for me..... this time! :laugh:

It sure is nice!

This time my doctor prescribed Wellbutrin SR to help. It is actually an anti-depressant, but it has been discovered that it also helps folks stop smoking.

I took one a day for 7 days, and now I take two a day. But you continue to smoke for the first two weeks and then you stop. I followed his directions and I never experienced any of the jitteriness, irritability, etc. that you usually get with stopping. So it has actually been easy. It also made me just start disliking smoking.

It has a good side-effect too (and this one is important when you stop smoking) WEIGHT LOSS!!

freeandfun1 said:
It has been almost a month for me..... this time! :laugh:

It sure is nice!

This time my doctor prescribed Wellbutrin SR to help. It is actually an anti-depressant, but it has been discovered that it also helps folks stop smoking.

I took one a day for 7 days, and now I take two a day. But you continue to smoke for the first two weeks and then you stop. I followed his directions and I never experienced any of the jitteriness, irritability, etc. that you usually get with stopping. So it has actually been easy. It also made me just start disliking smoking.

It has a good side-effect too (and this one is important when you stop smoking) WEIGHT LOSS!!

Cool for you! Anyway I have a problem with taking Anti-Depressants when I am not clinically depressed. It seems that it might cause issues. Have you had any problems with this?

no1tovote4 said:
Cool for you! Anyway I have a problem with taking Anti-Depressants when I am not clinically depressed. It seems that it might cause issues. Have you had any problems with this?

The only problem I have had is I constanty have this funny taste in my mouth and I smell this weird smell. I asked my wife if I stink (lol) and she said no. The doctor said that is another possible, but rare side effect. Frankly, I don't feel any different than before other than I did not get irritable, etc. after stopping this time.

Mr. P said:
My brother tried this approach. He had a major reaction to Wellbutrin..He stopped taking it after about 3 days.

Maybe I'll just stick with the patch, so far it is working...

Mr. P said:
My brother tried this approach. He had a major reaction to Wellbutrin..He stopped taking it after about 3 days.

Was your brother a heavy drinker? I know drinkers have problems. Just curious, what kind of reaction? You're scaring the sh*t outta me! lol :smoke:

Mr. P said:
And the patch is developed for the purpose.

LOL there are many drugs that have been found to do things they were not first intended to do.

I tried the patch, gum, etc. and I started back on all of em. I might start back on this one too, who knows. I figured since it has been proven to work and since now is commonly prescribed to help smokers stop, why not try it? I figure it can't be any worse than dieing from smoking....

freeandfun1 said:
Was your brother a heavy drinker? I know drinkers have problems. Just curious, what kind of reaction? You're scaring the sh*t outta me! lol :smoke:
I'll ask if he was drinking, I don't know...
He had an increase in heart rate...I'll ask
him what else...I think he said something about severe confusion too..

I'll let ya know...shortly...I'll call him.

Forum List

Back