Quitting Smoking

no1tovote4

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2004
Colorado
Has anybody recently quit smoking? If so, what worked?

I have just begun my most recent attempt to quit and need to have some ideas as obviously what I have been doing isn't working. Hence the need to quit again!

:smoke:

no1tovote4 said:

I have just begun my most recent attempt to quit and need to have some ideas as obviously what I have been doing isn't working. Hence the need to quit again!

Sorry, never tried. My stress level indicators are also telling me it won't happen any time soon either. :D

Suuuure. I told myself I'd quit when I bought my house and my car..

The only thing that changed is now I don't smoke IN the house or IN the car. :( But I'm smoking FAR less than before.. Baby steps?

Shattered said:
Suuuure. I told myself I'd quit when I bought my house and my car..

The only thing that changed is now I don't smoke IN the house or IN the car. :( But I'm smoking FAR less than before.. Baby steps?

I've been doing that for about four years now. I haven't had a cigarette under a roof in a long time.

I once was successful quitting using the patch. I quit for 6 months, then my Father died. I was cleaning up his apartment when I found 2 cartons of cigarettes in the freezer. It didn't take long to start up again after that!

Men tend to associate emotions with cigarettes more than women. I had all the indicators, Stress, Depression, Anger. I had no chance with free cigarettes and a lighter.

It has been many years since that time, it is now time to try again...

Wish me luck.

Much, much, MUCH luck. If you get it figured out, let ME know...

I've tried a few times to quit...with no success. I was in the emergency room about a year and a half ago with really bad chest pains...thought I was having a heart attack (at 30 yrs. old)
Turned out just to be an allergic reaction to medication I was on.
Doctor said it should be a warning for me to quit smoking, because all the tests they ran show I am a "perfect" candidate for blood clots.

Anyway it was scary as hell, but STILL not enough to make me quit. No will-power I guess. But the time has come to finally kick the habit, soon.

Well, come to think of it, I did quit very easy once. It was the day before my InVitro. I knew I'd be getting pregnant the next day and put them down with no problem. I ended up smoking again when the babies were about 3 months. Bad! Bad! Bad!! But Lord knows I was stressed, LOL!!

UsaPride said:
Well, come to think of it, I did quit very easy once. It was the day before my InVitro. I knew I'd be getting pregnant the next day and put them down with no problem. I ended up smoking again when the babies were about 3 months. Bad! Bad! Bad!! But Lord knows I was stressed, LOL!!

Don't I know it! Being a new Parent is an extreme example of a stressfest, and everything seems to slow to a crawl at the same time. Then the lack of sleep! :coffee3:

no1tovote4 said:

I actually quit for a month using the patch. I went the cheap route and bought the Walmart brand for MUCH cheaper and it worked awesome. I never even craved a cigarette, even when I drank beer.

I started back up due to some significant stress at that time for me but I'll be starting the quitting process in early December again.

I'll be using the patch... it seemed to work great for me. (I smoke a little less than a pack a day for about 15 years now, so I'm a pretty big addict).

Good luck and lemme know how it goes!

lilcountriegal said:
I actually quit for a month using the patch. I went the cheap route and bought the Walmart brand for MUCH cheaper and it worked awesome. I never even craved a cigarette, even when I drank beer.

I started back up due to some significant stress at that time for me but I'll be starting the quitting process in early December again.

I'll be using the patch... it seemed to work great for me. (I smoke a little less than a pack a day for about 15 years now, so I'm a pretty big addict).

Good luck and lemme know how it goes!

As Little Ceaser would say, "Thank you, Thank you!"

I quit, cold turkey, for 4 months but started back up again when my wife took ill. I need to try again to stop....... but like dem4bush, I might just quit quitting.

smoked for 20 years .....got really sick....quit on the spot....often think about starting again....then i just look at my 6 year old son i think what it would be like for him if i died....the urge to smoke goes away....

so either get really sick or find someone that would miss you and quit for them

manu1959 said:
smoked for 20 years .....got really sick....quit on the spot....often think about starting again....then i just look at my 6 year old son i think what it would be like for him if i died....the urge to smoke goes away....

so either get really sick or find someone that would miss you and quit for them

It is my main reason for quitting. Not for the dying early part, but because I am my Daughter's hero (she's three) and I cannot have her outside pretending to smoke with me. I have got to set some kind of example here. However it is tough.

no1tovote4 said:

This is probably not an option for you, but when I quit smoking cigarettes I just started smoking weed more often. Not necessarily more, just more often. Worked out quite well.

I didn't hurt that I lived in a dorm room with a chain smoker. Nothing will make you quit faster than that. I frequently give him credit for getting me to stop smoking because he was smoking enough for both of us.

Zhukov said:
This is probably not an option for you, but when I quit smoking cigarettes I just started smoking weed more often. Not necessarily more, just more often. Worked out quite well.

I didn't hurt that I lived in a dorm room with a chain smoker. Nothing will make you quit faster than that. I frequently give him credit for getting me to stop smoking because he was smoking enough for both of us.

hee hee..... that is what I did when I stopped for 4 mos, so I guess in a way, I really didn't stop! lol

Smoking a couple times a day thru water has to be better than smoking a pack of cigraettes a day, I don't care what they say about carcinogens.

Besides one of the best medicines for combating cancer is a positive mental attitude. Weed's the prescription for that.

Zhukov said:
Smoking a couple times a day thru water has to be better than smoking a pack of cigraettes a day, I don't care what they say about carcinogens.

Besides one of the best medicines for combating cancer is a positive mental attitude. Weed's the prescription for that.

no disagreement here!

Zhukov said:

It's also got to be better for the level of stress you may have. I haven't smoked through water for a long time. Since I joined the Navy. When I got out I just never bothered finding any contacts, now I wouldn't even know where to get it. :(

Forum List

Back