Quiche

So I made the crustless quiche a few weeks ago.
Last night, I made a regular quiche with a crust for my 84 y.o. mom and her 93 y.o. sister to have for breakfast this morning.

I'm kind of pissed because the crust bubbled up even though I did poke it a thousand times with a fork, and I did bake it a little before filling it.

I filled it with:

a layer of shredded cheese, I used some sharp cheddar and a little mozzarella and maybe a few grates of parmesan.
Then a layer of diced, cooked bacon.

6 eggs beat until smooth
add 1 cup of milk only I used half/half
beat that until it's nice and smooth
add salt, pepper, thyme or whatever to taste
Pour it into the pie crust
Bake at 375 for 20 minutes

the middle will be jiggly when you take it out that's okay it will continue cooking, just leave it alone for a few minutes.

I make the crust for the quiche and then lay it out on a cutting board. I use a fork to poke holes in it. Then I flip the crust and poke holes all in it again. That gives more coverage and makes sure the holes completely penetrate the crust.

The parm adds a great flavor, doesn't it? This is a lot like my recipe, I think.

I always blind bake my crust when making quiche or most any baked pie.

OMG! You didn't? Here is your card!!!

iu

;)
Stop that!
I was taught to make custard and quiche because we had cows and chickens and ducks and goats.

I am NOT a democrat and it's libel to say I am!!! I want everybody to know I am not now, nor have I ever been, a democrat.

It's almost as bad as being called a pedophile. Actually, kind of the same thing. I want to poke you in the nose.

No worries..
The Wife and I make Quiche on occasion.
I consider it a scramble baked in a pan. We also make Frittatas.
Turn.in.your.man.card.

Holly shit Man!!!!
I'm not asking you to eat strawberries and cream fer fucks sake!!!
Make a Frittata with Jalapenos,white onions,a light cheddar and some Barbacoa or some Chorizo!
If that aint man enough you can add some Carolina Reaper!

I made a tasty frittata once and laid it over a spead of corned beef hash. Fed the entire family and was excellent. A little goat cheese adds a sharp tang to it too. One of my kids doesn't like hot peppers, so it was mild.

Nice thing about a Frittata,Omelet or a Quiche?
You can make em anyway ya want! The Wife and I build our own,She's partial to spinach I'm all about meat and cheese...and a few veggies.

Last night, I made a regular quiche with a crust for my 84 y.o. mom and her 93 y.o. sister to have for breakfast this morning.

I'm kind of pissed because the crust bubbled up even though I did poke it a thousand times with a fork, and I did bake it a little before filling it.

I filled it with:

a layer of shredded cheese, I used some sharp cheddar and a little mozzarella and maybe a few grates of parmesan.

6 eggs beat until smooth

the middle will be jiggly when you take it out that's okay it will continue cooking, just leave it alone for a few minutes.

Docking the crust is only half the formula when you blind bake. Sounds like you didn't weight the bottom down That is kind of important for something as light as quiche.

I filled it with:

6 eggs beat until smooth

Docking the crust is only half the formula when you blind bake. Sounds like you didn't weight the bottom down That is kind of important for something as light as quiche.

That pretty much goes for anything with a flaky crust.

I filled it with:

6 eggs beat until smooth

Depends a lot on how long you prebake it. I make my crusts from scratch and have had a fair amount of luck avoiding the problem by cutting the bake time before I fill them, but I also tend to make my crusts a little thicker than those pre-made store things. I did a flaky tart a week or so ago that was just about the most perfect crust I have ever made. Added a bunch of lemon zest to it though.

I filled it with:

6 eggs beat until smooth

Depends a lot on how long you prebake it. I make my crusts from scratch and have had a fair amount of luck avoiding the problem by cutting the bake time before I fill them, but I also tend to make my crusts a little thicker than those pre-made store things. I did a flaky tart a week or so ago that was just about the most perfect crust I have ever made. Added a bunch of lemon zest to it though.

The majority of the crusts that I make need to be blind baked mainly because I'm not cooking my filling,it's already cooked.
Make a lot of pot pies using all types of meats and use glass beads for the blind bake.

koshergrl said:
Stop that!
I was taught to make custard and quiche because we had cows and chickens and ducks and goats.

I am NOT a democrat and it's libel to say I am!!! I want everybody to know I am not now, nor have I ever been, a democrat.

It's almost as bad as being called a pedophile. Actually, kind of the same thing. I want to poke you in the nose.
when no one is looking ---
(I Eat Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia)

I filled it with:

6 eggs beat until smooth

Sounds delish KG....you are a great cook! :113:

I would give anything for a slice of crustless quiche, with roasted pumpkin, vegetables and feta cheese right now! a slice of the one you cooked sounds amazing too! I love quiche!

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh hmmm ....I want

aN6eecK.jpg

Breakfast Burrito
eggs, diced bacon, pico de gallo, cheddar cheese, fajita seasoning, scramble, wrap in a flour tortilla

I filled it with:

6 eggs beat until smooth

The crust is what makes the quiche good

I filled it with:

6 eggs beat until smooth

The majority of the crusts that I make need to be blind baked mainly because I'm not cooking my filling,it's already cooked.
Make a lot of pot pies using all types of meats and use glass beads for the blind bake.

I sometimes do about half a prebake to keep the bottom crust from becoming too soggy when I am doing something like an apple or peach pie. I am not a crust snob though. Someone else in my else is. I have never made a pot pie. Beef Wellington is about as close I have come to that.

I filled it with:

6 eggs beat until smooth

Well I didn't weight it down when I pre-baked it..and it had the weight of the quiche itself. Obviously that wasn't enough though lol..

I filled it with:

6 eggs beat until smooth

Well I didn't weight it down when I pre-baked it..and it had the weight of the quiche itself. Obviously that wasn't enough though lol..

The egg base in your filling doesn't have the weight to do that. TBH, I really wouldn't care of the crust bubbled up either way. Just if you want to keep it from happening, use pie weights or an improvised alternative like dry beans, etc.

I filled it with:

6 eggs beat until smooth

The egg base in your filling doesn't have the weight to do that. TBH, I really wouldn't care of the crust bubbled up either way. Just if you want to keep it from happening, use pie weights or an improvised alternative like dry beans, etc.
I've used beans before but I don't like bean essence in my pie crust. But I will keep trying.
I don't care if it bubbles up too much, but the crust bowed up in the middle, then receded, and the result was a big divet in the middle of my quiche lol. It was more like a bacon, egg and cheese TART.

Which was fine but I am setting the bar a little higher. It tasted great, I want more volume and a non messed up crust.

My mom and aunties have made many pies, my mother's pie crust is a heavenly thing of beauty...it is bad enough that I used store bought, but then to have it do that, nope I have to do better.

I might have another go at it tonight. I will use a smaller pie plate, more filling, and I will bake the shell more adequately before adding the fillings.

I filled it with:

6 eggs beat until smooth

The crust is what makes the quiche good

I don't know, I'm a fan of crust but I liked my crustless quiche better.

I filled it with:

6 eggs beat until smooth

I've used beans before but I don't like bean essence in my pie crust. But I will keep trying.
I don't care if it bubbles up too much, but the crust bowed up in the middle, then receded, and the result was a big divet in the middle of my quiche lol. It was more like a bacon, egg and cheese TART.

Which was fine but I am setting the bar a little higher. It tasted great, I want more volume and a non messed up crust.

My mom and aunties have made many pies, my mother's pie crust is a heavenly thing of beauty...it is bad enough that I used store bought, but then to have it do that, nope I have to do better.

I might have another go at it tonight. I will use a smaller pie plate, more filling, and I will bake the shell more adequately before adding the fillings.

I like making my own. I mean store bought is cleaner and faster, and doesn't involve flour on the ceiling fan, but not as sporting :dev3:

I filled it with:

6 eggs beat until smooth

I like making my own. I mean store bought is cleaner and faster, and doesn't involve flour on the ceiling fan, but not as sporting :dev3:
I am good at crust but I keep store-bought on hand for convenience. It's better than most ppls homemade. Mine is better though.

This am I did the crustless quiche again. It was perfection... But it was more of a souffle than quiche.

I used three duck eggs and a chicken egg, whipped in a couple of cups of half and half. Salt, pepper, thyme.

Buttered the dish, laid grated cheese ( extra sharp white cheddar and some kind of semi hard italian cheese) and chopped green onions in the bottom.

Poured the egg mixture over it gently. Baked about 20 min at 350 then turned off oven and let it sit in warm until the middle set.

Yeah it was amazing. The cheese rises slowly through the mixture so there are no layers at all.

I am good at crust but I keep store-bought on hand for convenience. It's better than most ppls homemade. Mine is better though.

This am I did the crustless quiche again. It was perfection... But it was more of a souffle than quiche.

I used three duck eggs and a chicken egg, whipped in a couple of cups of half and half. Salt, pepper, thyme.

Buttered the dish, laid grated cheese ( extra sharp white cheddar and some kind of semi hard italian cheese) and chopped green onions in the bottom.

Poured the egg mixture over it gently. Baked about 20 min at 350 then turned off oven and let it sit in warm until the middle set.

Yeah it was amazing. The cheese rises slowly through the mixture so there are no layers at all.

Have never used duck eggs. just not something you can come by in this area.

Forum List

Back