Question

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
Im working on a sort of personal project for my own education so I figured I would pose a question to everyone to see everyones responses.

Why do you believe what you believe?

Do you mean: what led us to our beliefs? Or do you mean: why do we hold our beliefs to be true?

Maybe it's close to the same thing...

I was raised as a Catholic, so I always knew about Jesus. Although, my mom suffers plenty of guilt for not raising her children to be "good" Catholics because she questioned many of the teachings of the Catholic church. I left Catholicism, not because I disagreed with some doctrine (although I did), but because I followed God's leading and submitted to my husband. We were called to work & worship with a different group of people.

I believe what is in the Bible, as understood through putting it in context, and especially as understood through seeking revelation from God through prayer. It seems like the most logical, straightforward thing.

mom4 said:
Do you mean: what led us to our beliefs? Or do you mean: why do we hold our beliefs to be true?

Maybe it's close to the same thing...

I was raised as a Catholic, so I always knew about Jesus. Although, my mom suffers plenty of guilt for not raising her children to be "good" Catholics because she questioned many of the teachings of the Catholic church. I left Catholicism, not because I disagreed with some doctrine (although I did), but because I followed God's leading and submitted to my husband. We were called to work & worship with a different group of people.

I believe what is in the Bible, as understood through putting it in context, and especially as understood through seeking revelation from God through prayer. It seems like the most logical, straightforward thing.

Thanks for answering and yes both questions would be relevent as far as im concerned.

Thanks for answering and yes both questions would be relevent as far as im concerned.
Mom4, curious. What of Catholic doctrine did you question/reject?

Im working on a sort of personal project for my own education so I figured I would pose a question to everyone to see everyones responses.

Non believer of any religion. Just looking at things logically is why I have the belief I do...

That's an interesting question. I believe what I believe in part because it was what I was raised with,. It also makes a lot of sense to me, particularly as I've modified what I was originally taught to incorporate various other spiritual beliefs which seem to resonate for me. But I think belief is a constant journey.

Kathianne said:
Mom4, curious. What of Catholic doctrine did you question/reject?
Papal infallibility, prayer to saints, infant baptism, confession to priests, nonliteral interpretation of some scripture. That's all I can think of right now.

Note: Rejecting these doctrines/practices did not cause me to turn from Catholicism. I believe Catholicism is a true Christian religion because it teaches the basics about God and Jesus.

Forum List

Back