Put a fork in him....

Peggy Noonan says the accusations against Cain are a problem.

there was a moment in the debate that suggests something bad. Too many people in that audience were fully locked into Republo-world, a nice place but one that exists apart from the reality-based community. ...

Herman Cain has guts. This is stipulated. He's a black man of his generation who yet holds and defends conservative views. On the economic crisis, he thought big: Don't tinker with the system, tear it down—replace the tax structure with something coherent, reliable. He forced the other contenders to think big.

His views on foreign policy are not views but declarations of disinterest. He doesn't know China is a nuclear power, he'll let the generals tell him what to do about Afghanistan. All the world's Ubeki-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan. This is funny until it's not. At any rate, Mr. Cain has been leading in the polls.

Over the past two weeks he has been accused of sexual misconduct by, at this point, four separate women. Two have come forward. In two cases there were financial settlements. They may all come forward together. The story is likely not going to go away. It is serious. The women may be telling the truth.

Mr. Cain followed the original accusations with a nervous shifting of stories—suddenly remembering details, not recalling others, contradicting himself, blame shifting—it's the Democratic machine, it's the Perry campaign, it's race, the woman is unstable.

At the debates, when he was questioned on this—as he should have been—the Republican audience booed the question and the questioner. Mr. Cain surfed on crowd response. These are "unfounded accusations," it is "character assassination." This brought cheers.

Maybe he's telling the truth. Maybe he's not. But again, this isn't a small thing. What the Republicans in the audience were seeing was a sympathetic guy struggling with grave charges that may or may not be true. (Though yes, in any audience there would be some who react, inside and down deep, as if they run Penn State: Why let a few allegations get in the way of the fun?)

But what everyone else is seeing—what those who do not live in Republo-world are seeing—is a guy who, faced with the charges, nervously dodged, deflected and denied. What they are seeing is four women, not one or two. What they are seeing is something that may amount to a pattern.

What the charges deserve is consideration, attention, deep reporting. What they don't merit is raucous boos, and an insular spirit of "You're either with us or against us."

And here is the part that speaks of Republo-world. It's very easy when you really want something to happen to see signs all around you that it is going to happen. It's tempting, when you're surrounded by like-minded people, to cheer your guys no matter what.

But this is a time to be sober. The voting begins in 7½ weeks. We're picking a president now, right now, every day as we make our decisions.

Did you see the Ohio numbers from Quinnipiac this week? Mr. Obama beating all comers. In an initiative, voters rebuked his health-care reform, but Gov. John Kasich's effort to gain some control over unions and public-sector spending was roundly defeated in a referendum. In Ohio, that bellwether state. This thing isn't over.

Republicans should sober up. They should be thinking not about what the Republican at the local GOP meeting is thinking, but what the independent across the street is thinking. He's catching the Cain story on TV and thinking: "This guy may have a problem. I want more evidence, but if it's true, then man, we don't need to go there again."

That independent is a pretty important guy. The GOP better start doing a better job of considering how he sees things. He doesn't live in Republo-world, but he's right across the street, and he votes. He's going to pick the next president.

The Republican Unreality Show - WSJ.com

Every religion seen from the outside is beyond freaky. There seems to be a disposition from even the wisest to believe in the not so. Even such apostles for rationality as Arthur Conan Doyle went off the deep end about the dumbest strangest stupidest stuff.

You have to evaluate them on the totality of their belief. As far as Romney, the biggest deal of his religion seems to be large contributions to charity.

I am far more worried about folks who are doctrinare and refuse to listen than folks who believe in something silly but are otherwise normal.

Every religion seen from the outside is beyond freaky. There seems to be a disposition from even the wisest to believe in the not so. Even such apostles for rationality as Arthur Conan Doyle went off the deep end about the dumbest strangest stupidest stuff.

You have to evaluate them on the totality of their belief. As far as Romney, the biggest deal of his religion seems to be large contributions to charity.

I am far more worried about folks who are doctrinare and refuse to listen than folks who believe in something silly but are otherwise normal.

Conan Doyle lost his son and then his mind.

My problem with Mormonism isn't it's beliefs, it's the outright fraud involved in the excercise. And then the lengths the adherents go to not admit they'd been snookered, 150 years after they shot the con artist.

Peggy Noonan says the accusations against Cain are a problem.

Peggy is a paid Romney shill... Put a red dress and some fishnet stockings on her, it would be more honest.

Plus, she's a RINO ...

Actually, she makes the same lame argument that Romney supporters always make. Conservatives should throw their values out the window, because independents will only vote for a squishy, Establishment middle of the road, don't stand for anything kind of guy unless you've checked it with a focus group candidate.

Which is, of course Bullshit.

Here's a hint. We've heard this song before. It was 2008. Don't vote for Mike Huckabee. He's to radical. He believes in that Jesus stuff. Worse, he actually believes that the central message of Christianity is not "Tax cuts for Rich people". Bettter vote for John McCain, he'll attract independents.

Except, they never showed. John McCain got 4 million less votes than George W. Bush got.

As I pointed out earlier. There are almost no Romney threads on this board. People don't care enough about him. They are not passionate about him. So how do you expect to get independents, whoever they are, excited about the guy if you aren't excited about him?

I keep asking you guys that, you never give me an answer.... why is that?

Peggy is a paid Romney shill... Put a red dress and some fishnet stockings on her, it would be more honest.

Plus, she's a RINO ...

Actually, she makes the same lame argument that Romney supporters always make. Conservatives should throw their values out the window, because independents will only vote for a squishy, Establishment middle of the road, don't stand for anything kind of guy unless you've checked it with a focus group candidate.

Which is, of course Bullshit.

Here's a hint. We've heard this song before. It was 2008. Don't vote for Mike Huckabee. He's to radical. He believes in that Jesus stuff. Worse, he actually believes that the central message of Christianity is not "Tax cuts for Rich people". Bettter vote for John McCain, he'll attract independents.

Except, they never showed. John McCain got 4 million less votes than George W. Bush got.

As I pointed out earlier. There are almost no Romney threads on this board. People don't care enough about him. They are not passionate about him. So how do you expect to get independents, whoever they are, excited about the guy if you aren't excited about him?

I keep asking you guys that, you never give me an answer.... why is that?

Because independents don't get excited. That's why they're independents. The people who get excited are partisans.

Now you're being disingenuous.

Of course, they get excited.

Ever heard of "Reagan Democrats"? They weren't republicans, but they really like what Reagan had to say.

But even Republicans can't get excited about Romney.

And when you aren't excited, you don't knock on doors or giving Granny a lift to the polling place.

Obama's people are going to be excited.

Now you're being disingenuous.

Of course, they get excited.

Ever heard of "Reagan Democrats"? They weren't republicans, but they really like what Reagan had to say.

But even Republicans can't get excited about Romney.

And when you aren't excited, you don't knock on doors or giving Granny a lift to the polling place.

Obama's people are going to be excited.

Be serious. (Unless you define "excited" as sitting on the couch with a beer, channel surfing.) Reagan Democrats didn't get excited about Reagan. They voted for him.

But let's pretend you're correct. I know how Republicans like to deify Reagan. So name any other candidate in the general election in the last 50 years that "excited" independents.

I know you hate Mormons, but I can pretty much guarantee the independents aren't going to get excited by the barely-articulate Rick Perry.

Be serious. (Unless you define "excited" as sitting on the couch with a beer, channel surfing.) Reagan Democrats didn't get excited about Reagan. They voted for him.

But let's pretend you're correct. I know how Republicans like to deify Reagan. So name any other candidate in the general election in the last 50 years that "excited" independents.

I know you hate Mormons, but I can pretty much guarantee the independents aren't going to get excited by the barely-articulate Rick Perry.

People liked to say Reagan was stupid, too.

And I was around for 1980. Yes, Democrats, people I knew all my life growing up in Chicago, got excited about Reagan. To the point where the Machine Precinct captains stopped trying to get us to pull down our Reagan signs on the Southwest side.

The realized Carter was toast, but their goal was to get Richie Daley elected as State's attorney so he could challenge Jane Byrne in 1983, so they let it slide.

Since we are going to go there about "excited", let's talk about another one. Richard Nixon in 1972. What everyone forgets is that he got 58% of the vote and won 49 states against George McGovern. (Everyone likes to forget that because of Watergate.)

I'll go one more. Obama himself. Let's give the Devil his due. He got fully 11 million more votes than John Kerry had gotten four years before. Even if you assume that the 4 million less votes that McCain* got compared to Dubya, he still managed to get a new 7 million people to show up.

(*- I bring up McCain because that was the last time we were dumb enough to listen to the "Let's give up on real conservative principles and nominate someone more moderate" mantra. Except we lost votes, we didn't gain them.)

You win by standing for principles, by offering sharp contrasts to the other guy. You don't win by focus grouping your way to the blandest flavor of Vanilla.

of course, if you nominate a Mormon, it's more like "Tutti-Fruity".

Last edited:

People liked to say Reagan was stupid, too.

And I was around for 1980. Yes, Democrats, people I knew all my life growing up in Chicago, got excited about Reagan. To the point where the Machine Precinct captains stopped trying to get us to pull down our Reagan signs on the Southwest side.

The realized Carter was toast, but their goal was to get Richie Daley elected as State's attorney so he could challenge Jane Byrne in 1983, so they let it slide.

Reagan was The Great Communicator. Perry is anything but. Dumb and inarticulate won't take you far.

Get it through your thick skulls already! It doesn't matter if Cain is guilty of sexual harassment and/or assault. He's guilty of demonstrating poor judgment and being a fucking moron. Whatever teenie tiny chance he may have had has completely evaporated. So why not pick another loser to fall in love with before you finally settle for Mitt. Jesus Ass grabbing Christ!

mob style hit piece from a leftnut media source has a hard on for cain and then 5 bimbo & liars appear on the scene

you lap dogs need to buy a bib from the drool fest

And you need to pick someone else to back because Cain is done. Well done.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

How do you beat obama? with a cain

Cain is finished with female centrists and independents as their numbers of approval fall.

Perry simply can't articulate well enough to convince non-Texans that he can be a viable candidate.

We are down to, as I said earlier, Romney and Gingrich.

Forum List

Back