Pulling the Plug of Valedictorian's 'God' Speech

I saw a report about this on Scarborough Country tonight. I have no problem with what the school did. She was told not to read certain portions of her speech that mentioned and promoted specific religious beliefs. She did so anyway and consequently they cut her mic, which she was told would happen if she read the parts of her speech that were deemed inappropriate.

I've asked this question before: Why is it that so many Christians feel the need to turn any public event into a chance to deliver a sermon? This was a graduation speech at a public school, this was not this girl's church.

acludem

acludem said:
I saw a report about this on Scarborough Country tonight. I have no problem with what the school did. She was told not to read certain portions of her speech that mentioned and promoted specific religious beliefs. She did so anyway and consequently they cut her mic, which she was told would happen if she read the parts of her speech that were deemed inappropriate.

I've asked this question before: Why is it that so many Christians feel the need to turn any public event into a chance to deliver a sermon? This was a graduation speech at a public school, this was not this girl's church.

acludem

what ever happened to free speech?

It's funny...the only time Conservatives are interested in Free Speech is when a Christian is told not prostylize on government owned property. Other than that, they're all for free speech. What if this girl had made a speech trashing Christianity? What if she had said "God doesn't exist and Christians are full of crap," Would you be supporting her "Free Speech" rights? Of course you wouldn't. This is a solemn school event, some decorum is called for, and this girl didn't have any. She chose to turn a graduation speech at a public school into a Christian sermon. The school, having editorial authority over student speeches, asked her to remove passages of her speech that promoted specific religious beliefs, she agreed and then chose to read the speech anyway. I believe that's called lying or in biblical terms "bearing false witness". She assured the school she would abide by their rules and then didn't. Her mic was justifiably cut.

acludem

acludem said:
It's funny...the only time Conservatives are interested in Free Speech is when a Christian is told not prostylize on government owned property. Other than that, they're all for free speech. What if this girl had made a speech trashing Christianity? What if she had said "God doesn't exist and Christians are full of crap," Would you be supporting her "Free Speech" rights? Of course you wouldn't. This is a solemn school event, some decorum is called for, and this girl didn't have any. She chose to turn a graduation speech at a public school into a Christian sermon. The school, having editorial authority over student speeches, asked her to remove passages of her speech that promoted specific religious beliefs, she agreed and then chose to read the speech anyway. I believe that's called lying or in biblical terms "bearing false witness". She assured the school she would abide by their rules and then didn't. Her mic was justifiably cut.

acludem

:bsflag:

i sat through a gay speech and a hate america speech when i graduated

you all condone that but not something you all claim does not exist...weak

acludem said:

acludem

Way to stand up for civil liberties... :rolleyes: I haven't ever seen in the Constitution where all speech was protected, except for acknowledging God's providence in one's life.

Forum List

Back