Puerto Ricans in Philly telling others on the island 'Don't come here

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
An activist who has been helping Puerto Ricans get back on their feet following Hurricane Maria had a message Wednesday for islanders considering Philadelphia: Don’t come here.

“There’s no long-term solution from the government,” Charito Morales, a nurse and advocate, said at a morning news conference outside of the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Philadelphia office.

“We want the city to tell the truth,” she said. “They don’t have services. Stop coming to Philadelphia or Pennsylvania. They don’t have resources. They don’t have a place for you to live. Stay home, ask people to help you on the island.”

Morales’ frustration stems from the experience of hundreds of families who came to Philadelphia looking for jobs and housing after losing nearly everything in September’s Category 5 hurricane. Some got FEMA assistance for temporary housing, but many others have complained about not being able to get any aid from the local, state or federal governments. The lack of available public and subsidized housing has forced some evacuees into relatives’ basements and cramped apartments. The homeless shelters are operating at capacity most days.

On Friday, FEMA will stop paying to house some of the evacuee families at hotels. FEMA spokesman Daniel Llargues couldn’t say how many of the 116 families currently in Pennsylvania hotels will be allowed to remain after Friday’s cuts. But even they won’t get much more help: FEMA plans to end the hotel subsidies nationwide by May 14.
Puerto Ricans in Philly telling others on the island 'Don't come here'

Outside of FEMA, I'm not sure where everyone thinks resources exist. They don't exist for anyone.

Did you hear the entire island lost power again today and will be out for about 24 hours?
More may decide to come here soon.

An activist who has been helping Puerto Ricans get back on their feet following Hurricane Maria had a message Wednesday for islanders considering Philadelphia: Don’t come here.

“There’s no long-term solution from the government,” Charito Morales, a nurse and advocate, said at a morning news conference outside of the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Philadelphia office.

“We want the city to tell the truth,” she said. “They don’t have services. Stop coming to Philadelphia or Pennsylvania. They don’t have resources. They don’t have a place for you to live. Stay home, ask people to help you on the island.”

Morales’ frustration stems from the experience of hundreds of families who came to Philadelphia looking for jobs and housing after losing nearly everything in September’s Category 5 hurricane. Some got FEMA assistance for temporary housing, but many others have complained about not being able to get any aid from the local, state or federal governments. The lack of available public and subsidized housing has forced some evacuees into relatives’ basements and cramped apartments. The homeless shelters are operating at capacity most days.

On Friday, FEMA will stop paying to house some of the evacuee families at hotels. FEMA spokesman Daniel Llargues couldn’t say how many of the 116 families currently in Pennsylvania hotels will be allowed to remain after Friday’s cuts. But even they won’t get much more help: FEMA plans to end the hotel subsidies nationwide by May 14.
Puerto Ricans in Philly telling others on the island 'Don't come here'

Outside of FEMA, I'm not sure where everyone thinks resources exist. They don't exist for anyone.
Infrastructure is important; why can we afford any common offense or general warfare?

Excavator. Don't know what he hit but for the grid to be down must be a major feeder............

When high power goes......it can cause major damage up and downstream...........at substations and power generation stations. Simply turning off high power under load will cause a major explosion...........I've seen the aftermath of those kind of mistakes......

Just speculating...........but would think a sub took major damage and that can't be repaired quickly......

That’s why I wonder about the 24 hr claim. I heard last week they had also had some partial outages. Never heard if those came back online yet or not. Many places there have got to be a living hell. But I also hear others are in good recovery mode.
Excavator. Don't know what he hit but for the grid to be down must be a major feeder............

When high power goes......it can cause major damage up and downstream...........at substations and power generation stations. Simply turning off high power under load will cause a major explosion...........I've seen the aftermath of those kind of mistakes......

Just speculating...........but would think a sub took major damage and that can't be repaired quickly......

Forum List

Back