Public Schools Losing Enrollment

Public Schools Losing Enrollment

That explains why the teachers are all in for illegal aliens

They need the warm bodies to keep their job

That's how much you know. There's a blistering teacher shortage right now. We don't need ANYthing to "keep our job". My state just announced student loan forgiveness for teachers in areas of "shortage"--and they are all the areas. All of them.

That's how much you know. There's a blistering teacher shortage right now. We don't need ANYthing to "keep our job". My state just announced student loan forgiveness for teachers in areas of "shortage"--and they are all the areas. All of them.
And flooding the schools with illegals/migrants/asylum seekers makes the teacher shortage even more severe and the money for teachers even better

And flooding the schools with illegals/migrants/asylum seekers makes the teacher shortage even more severe and the money for teachers even better

So you acknowledge that teachers do not "need the warm bodies" to keep our jobs. Right. Thanks

So you acknowledge that teachers do not "need the warm bodies" to keep our jobs. Right. Thanks
I am not disputing your claim of a teacher shortage

Nor do I accept it as fact

But if so it means more money for the teachers

And that means more reason for teachers to support the foreign invasion

That's kind of a gray area in terms of staffing. I work in HR for a school system.

Our (and I assume most school systems work the same way), staffing levels are determine by the number of projected students and the grade/course offerings needed to support the various curriculum requirements.

More students mean more teachers needed, less students mean fewer teachers needed. Now very rarely have we had to let teachers go because of this. Typically positions are added or eliminated based on the above as we plan for the next school year. So what happens is:
  • If position are eliminated then that is absorbed through normal teacher turnover as people retire, get promoted, or move to a different school system. We just don't fill the vacancy for an eliminated position as opposed to actively recruiting to fill vacancies for positions we need to fill.
  • Also we transfer teachers to other teaching positions for which they are qualified, maybe a different curriculum area or move from a school with an excess position (because one was eliminated) to another school where there is a vacancy.
So I agree an individual teacher may not be solely determined by the number of "warm bodies", the number of teaching positions within a district is.

WW

I am not disputing your claim of a teacher shortage

Nor do I accept it as fact

But if so it means more money for the teachers

And that means more reason for teachers to support the foreign invasion

hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha "more money for teachers" hahahahahahahahahahahaha

What?

Also, do you always dismiss facts you don't like as non-facts?

What are you, a liberal?

That's kind of a gray area in terms of staffing. I work in HR for a school system.

Our (and I assume most school systems work the same way), staffing levels are determine by the number of projected students and the grade/course offerings needed to support the various curriculum requirements.

More students mean more teachers needed, less students mean fewer teachers needed. Now very rarely have we had to let teachers go because of this. Typically positions are added or eliminated based on the above as we plan for the next school year. So what happens is:
  • If position are eliminated then that is absorbed through normal teacher turnover as people retire, get promoted, or move to a different school system. We just don't fill the vacancy for an eliminated position as opposed to actively recruiting to fill vacancies for positions we need to fill.
  • Also we transfer teachers to other teaching positions for which they are qualified, maybe a different curriculum area or move from a school with an excess position (because one was eliminated) to another school where there is a vacancy.
So I agree an individual teacher may not be solely determined by the number of "warm bodies", the number of teaching positions within a district is.

WW

I would guess the number of teachers leaving and worse yet, the huge drought in anyone going into it, is far surpassing declining enrollment at this point.

I do not know what HR depts are going to do about this. Ours just sent out a friendly reminder that if we call in sick the Friday before MLK day, and do not have a dr note, we are docked pay.

It's fun when you, say, have the puking flu to sit in a dr office for a note. Which happened to a friend of mine a few years ago before Winter Break.

Honestly, it's this kind of thing that younger teachers are refusing to tolerate. I don't know if they're wrong. The idea is: in teaching, you give much and are rewarded very little in terms of pay, etc. The reward used to be the satisfaction of teaching. But no one values that anymore, from students to admin to parents and all around. So really, what's the draw for my profession?

hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha "more money for teachers" hahahahahahahahahahahaha

What?

Also, do you always dismiss facts you don't like as non-facts?

What are you, a liberal?
Unlike teachers who think they know everything I said that I dont know if the teacher shortage is real or not

Too bad you cant explain away the fact that the foreign invasion puts money in teachers pockets

Unlike teachers who think they know everything I said that I dont if the teacher shortage is real or not

Too bad you cant explain away the fact that the foreign invasion puts money in teachers pockets

NOTHING puts 'money in our pocket' except the negotiated contract. Do you think we are paid by the kid or something? That's first.

Second, what kind of idiocy is it to talk to a 30 yr veteran teacher, who has taught in 2 states, 3 districts and dozens of schools, that "I know everything" about education? I do not know EVERYTHING but I sure know more than people who read a few articles, get their hackles up and spout off on message boards. It's my PROFESSION. Hello?

NOTHING puts 'money in our pocket' except the negotiated contract. Do you think we are paid by the kid or something? That's first.

Second, what kind of idiocy is it to talk to a 30 yr veteran teacher, who has taught in 2 states, 3 districts and dozens of schools, that "I know everything" about education? I do not know EVERYTHING but I sure know more than people who read a few articles, get their hackles up and spout off on message boards. It's my PROFESSION. Hello?
I hope your garbled thought process does not extend to the classroom

But considering the poor results from our education system I think there is a connection

I hope your garbled thought process does not extend to the classroom

But considering the poor results from our education system I think there is a connection

No, what you MEANT to say is that in the Before Times, more kids could have equaled better JOB SECURITY. Because more kids NEVER equal more money for us. But you wouldn't know that, because you just don't know. But everyone thinks they know what it's like to be a teacher bc everyone sat at a desk.

I would guess the number of teachers leaving and worse yet, the huge drought in anyone going into it, is far surpassing declining enrollment at this point.

I do not know what HR depts are going to do about this. Ours just sent out a friendly reminder that if we call in sick the Friday before MLK day, and do not have a dr note, we are docked pay.

It's fun when you, say, have the puking flu to sit in a dr office for a note. Which happened to a friend of mine a few years ago before Winter Break.

Honestly, it's this kind of thing that younger teachers are refusing to tolerate. I don't know if they're wrong. The idea is: in teaching, you give much and are rewarded very little in terms of pay, etc. The reward used to be the satisfaction of teaching. But no one values that anymore, from students to admin to parents and all around. So really, what's the draw for my profession?

It's been a rough couple of years in the staffing realm and it doesn't look like it's going to get much better in the next few years.

WW

It's been a rough couple of years in the staffing realm and it doesn't look like it's going to get much better in the next few years.

WW

My aunt is a PhD in teacher ed. I spent a day with her about 15 years ago or so, and she told me then, public schools are over. I was flabbergasted and frankly didn't believe her. But sadly, I do now. We don't have the people to keep this ship afloat, nor are they coming.

Sadly, our society has wrought this and probably deserves it, to be honest.

My aunt is a PhD in teacher ed. I spent a day with her about 15 years ago or so, and she told me then, public schools are over. I was flabbergasted and frankly didn't believe her. But sadly, I do now. We don't have the people to keep this ship afloat, nor are they coming.

Sadly, our society has wrought this and probably deserves it, to be honest.

One of my personal feelings on the decline of teaching, not the whole package but one factor, is what I call the “3-year” wonder.

When I look at a resume and see a new teacher fresh out of school with a masters with a content endorsement and an additional endorsement for “administration and supervision” that is a red flag.

The person isn’t really interested in teaching, they view it as a ticket bunch fior an administrator job.

JMHO of course.

WW

One of my personal feelings on the decline of teaching, not the whole package but one factor, is what I call the “3-year” wonder.

When I look at a resume and see a new teacher fresh out of school with a masters with a content endorsement and an additional endorsement for “administration and supervision” that is a red flag.

The person isn’t really interested in teaching, they view it as a ticket bunch fior an administrator job.

JMHO of course.

WW

So true. We were advised not even to get our Master's until we had a few years of teaching under our belt, as districts don't love to hire teachers with no experience and higher degrees.

I'm a 30 yr veteran and you would have to pay me a LOT--I mean a LOT--of $$ to be an admin. I'm talking like a pro athlete salary lol. Not only because the job is hard but because I just love teaching (despite what one poster here says).

Partly, I will retire in a couple years because of social pressure, which is sad. I'm still a good teacher, and getting better still. But in my profession, I am very very old in my mid-50s, and I'm tired of facing the truth of that all the time. It's kinda sad, but there it is. (Of course, in politics I'm not old for another 30 years...if then)

Forum List

Back