Public pensions are eating taxpayers alive

Your retirement benefits are part of your total compensation package

Workers spent a career working with an understanding that they would be paid X amount and if they stayed on the job, their retirement would be Y amount

Can't change the rules after the benefit has already been earned

People in Hell want ice water.
When the good of one group threatens the solvency of everyone else, including that group, choices must be made.

They will go running to the constitutional amendments that somehow were passed in some states that make changing pensions something out of the reach of legislators.

I cannot see how this was allowed, oh wait, I do, the unions paid off the politicians.

You know this is a problem when even high profile Democrats are complaining about this, being that they are the reason most of this exists in the first place via public sector vote buying.

Everywhere, the writing is on the wall. In San Jose, reported The Washington Post recently, “the roads are pocked with potholes, the libraries are closed three days a week, and a slew of city recreation centers have been handed over to nonprofit groups.” Taxes have been raised, public services cut, and the number of city employees drastically reduced. Yet annual retirement payouts for public-sector workers continue to climb, thanks to lavish pensions that enrich municipal retirees with as much as 90 percent of their former salaries — and court decisions barring pension benefits for public-sector employees from being rolled back.

The result, in San Jose and across the country, is the “startling injustice” of poor and working-class taxpayers forced to make do with less and less so that the gold-plated pensions of public-sector retirees, which already gobble an outsize share of government budgets, can keep devouring more and more.

Public pensions are eating taxpayers alive - Opinion - The Boston Globe

just void the deals given to them.

Its their fault the republican party crashed the economy twice in one lifetime

You know this is a problem when even high profile Democrats are complaining about this, being that they are the reason most of this exists in the first place via public sector vote buying.

Everywhere, the writing is on the wall. In San Jose, reported The Washington Post recently, “the roads are pocked with potholes, the libraries are closed three days a week, and a slew of city recreation centers have been handed over to nonprofit groups.” Taxes have been raised, public services cut, and the number of city employees drastically reduced. Yet annual retirement payouts for public-sector workers continue to climb, thanks to lavish pensions that enrich municipal retirees with as much as 90 percent of their former salaries — and court decisions barring pension benefits for public-sector employees from being rolled back.

The result, in San Jose and across the country, is the “startling injustice” of poor and working-class taxpayers forced to make do with less and less so that the gold-plated pensions of public-sector retirees, which already gobble an outsize share of government budgets, can keep devouring more and more.

Public pensions are eating taxpayers alive - Opinion - The Boston Globe

just void the deals given to them.

Its their fault the republican party crashed the economy twice in one lifetime

You are really too stupid to realize when you are being stupid, which is all the time.

I'll post the studies later. If you compare compensation for low skilled positions, ie a janitor, the janitor gets paid more in government. But if you look at skilled labor, ie a lawyer, accountant or an IT professional, the private sector pays more.

Government has taken more of a hit than the private sector the last few years. In 2013, government spending declined by 1% while the private sector rose by about 3%. That's total government, not just federal government.

Only 10% of all government workers are federal government workers. The rest are state or local. And something like 40% of those workers are employed in education.
A prosecutor will of course be limited to a set income and a private sector attorney could make much more depending on his gig. Suing Walmart and winning will skew those numbers and isn't exactly the same job. There are many different kinds of attorneys. Government spending declining 1% doesn't mean much since it could be downsizing the work force to downsizing budgets for anything but wages and benefits. Similarly, private increases don't mean it's going into the pockets of employees.

I am not talking about case awards. I'm talking about what a salaried lawyer makes. Same goes with accountants, engineers, etc. I've had direct experience trying to hire people into government. Positions would often stay empty for months, even a few years.

I'll post the studies later. If you compare compensation for low skilled positions, ie a janitor, the janitor gets paid more in government. But if you look at skilled labor, ie a lawyer, accountant or an IT professional, the private sector pays more.
This is spot on.

I'm a software developer and often look at the govt posting for devs, the salary is usually about 1/2 to 2/3 of what you'd expect for same position in private sector.

A prosecutor will of course be limited to a set income
True but Toro's point stands here. A prosecutor is still a trial attorney, and most would command higher compensation in the private sector even if they aren't suing WalMart to win millions.

A prosecutor is still a trial attorney, and most would command higher compensation in the private sector even if they aren't suing WalMart to win millions.
And you considered the benefits, health and retirement? I've seen numerous studies that say the public sector compensation has grown to surpass the private sector. It could be software developers aren't compensated as much for the same reason as attorneys, the potential high return from profits. It would be wrong for the government to charge tax payers for cutting edge Silicon Valley software or prosecutors the amount a high priced defense lawyer can rake in. I believe those are atypical examples and not reflective of the rest of the fields.

Your retirement benefits are part of your total compensation package

Workers spent a career working with an understanding that they would be paid X amount and if they stayed on the job, their retirement would be Y amount

Can't change the rules after the benefit has already been earned

Sure you can. It just takes a few stones to do what's right. It's either going to happen by choice or by force, but either way, it will eventually happen. States and cities just can't print more money.

Most pension plans have been re-written already but you can't raid compensation that has already been established through past work. Politicians of the past were incompetent. Is this news to anyone?

The same thing will happen with retiree health. The private sector is already switching to a cash balance approach as opposed to promising benefits.

Most pension plans have been re-written already but you can't raid compensation that has already been established through past work. Politicians of the past were incompetent. Is this news to anyone?

The same thing will happen with retiree health. The private sector is already switching to a cash balance approach as opposed to promising benefits.

If I understand you we are in agreement I will attempt to add.
No one should pay for someone else's retirement, plain and simple it is just an expensive form of welfare.
All public pensions that have been promised have to stay in affect. But any new hires will not get a pension--if deemed fair higher compensation in the form of a wage increase might be an option. Like if your government wage is lets say $30.00 per Hr. than eliminate the pension benefit and add maybe $5 to 10 dollars per hour to there wage. And this way the public is not tied into a unjust pension for government employees . This should never have been as there is a government pension for all called Social Security and one is enough.

If I understand you we are in agreement I will attempt to add.
No one should pay for someone else's retirement, plain and simple it is just an expensive form of welfare.
All public pensions that have been promised have to stay in affect. But any new hires will not get a pension--if deemed fair higher compensation in the form of a wage increase might be an option. Like if your government wage is lets say $30.00 per Hr. than eliminate the pension benefit and add maybe $5 to 10 dollars per hour to there wage. And this way the public is not tied into a unjust pension for government employees . This should never have been as there is a government pension for all called Social Security and one is enough.

I cannot agree that public pensions are somehow sacrosanct and must be honored no matter what. Many pension plans in the private sector are drastically reduced should the company go bankrupt, as has happened in many industries including the airline industry. Plus many private employers discontinued or limited pension plans affecting current employees.

Why should the tax payers be saddled with these ridiculous government pensions, when many of them do not have a pension or have had theirs drastically cut?

A prosecutor is still a trial attorney, and most would command higher compensation in the private sector even if they aren't suing WalMart to win millions.
And you considered the benefits, health and retirement? I've seen numerous studies that say the public sector compensation has grown to surpass the private sector. It could be software developers aren't compensated as much for the same reason as attorneys, the potential high return from profits. It would be wrong for the government to charge tax payers for cutting edge Silicon Valley software or prosecutors the amount a high priced defense lawyer can rake in. I believe those are atypical examples and not reflective of the rest of the fields.

Link to these "numerous studies" you've seen?

Why don't you go look for it yourself? Because when he produces the links, and they're out there, your response will be
-The source is biased
-The source is wrong
-Your sources are better.

You're so predictable.

Absolutely. There are quite a few of them.

Adjusted for education, government workers are generally not paid better than in the private sector. That is absolutely true in the professions. I've worked for government, and we would have a very hard time attracting talent because the private sector paid way more. It's generally true, however, that unskilled labor gets paid better in government.
When was that? If you are talking about the last four years I don't believe you. The private sector has taking a beating while the public sector has increased pay and bennies. I don't know what you mean by adjusted for education, I wa scomparing job to job. Does it require more education for the public sector employee to do the same job?

Government has taken more of a hit than the private sector the last few years. In 2013, government spending declined by 1% while the private sector rose by about 3%. That's total government, not just federal government.

Only 10% of all government workers are federal government workers. The rest are state or local. And something like 40% of those workers are employed in education.

Here is the thread I started on government workers' pay.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/142250-government-workers-not-overpaid.html

Absolutely. There are quite a few of them.

You said that already.

He was asking for links.
You can't read either. I said I have seen numerous studies saying public sector employees have gained and have surpassed their counterparts in the private sector in compensation. I can't go back in time and document the ones I saw and didn't "say that already". Try to understand word meanings instead of trying to distort them to fit an agenda. Since you are too lazy to do any research of your own:

Total Compensation: U.S. Government Employees vs the Private Sector - Political Calculations - Townhall Finance Conservative Columnists and Financial Commentary - Page full

average-total-compensation-us-federal-government-employees-private-sector-individuals-2011.png

On average for workers at all education levels, benefits for federal employees cost about $20 per hour worked, whereas benefits for private-sector employees cost $14, CBO estimates. Thus, benefits for federal workers cost 48 percent more per hour worked, on average, than benefits for private sector workers with similar attributes. Benefits also constituted a larger share of compensation for federal workers, accounting for 39 percent of the cost of total compensation, compared with 30 percent in the private sector.

We find that while the average U.S. federal government employee makes $14,632 more in direct cash income than their private sector counterpart, at $74,436 versus $59,804, the extremely generous benefits with which they are also compensated boosts their real income margin by $26,632 over the average private sector income earner, putting their total compensation at $114,436 versus $87,804.

Keeping in mind that the average income of Americans in the private sector is considerably elevated by some very highly paid individuals such as CEOs, very specialized medical professionals, sports stars and entertainment moguls, the total compensation of U.S. federal government employees puts them all in a league of their own. And that's not even including their extreme job security.

My wife works for the city and can retire with a full pension and healthcare at 80 points (age+service) so that would be 52 years old. Why should taxpayers pay for someone to just stop working 15 years earlier than everyone else, when she will likely be entering her best years as a productive employee?

It is fucking nuts, hell we can personally reap the benefits of it and I still think it is fucking nuts.

They've made a few reforms lately like 85 points and (I think) a minimum age of 55 but most are grandfathered in and even the reforms are still so stupidly out of wack with reality.

My old man worked for Uncle. Paid 52K into his retirement and over the past 23 years of retirement, he has drawn over 1 million dollars. That's hard to beat.

-Geaux

Forum List

Back