Public money for education is good investment

The Great Depression lasted for a decade or more. With some deeper analysis, it can be said that the Depression did not end until 1947, which is nearly two decades.

Even in a stacked two party majority electoral system, I don't see how you'll be able to keep Republicans out of the White House for that long. Maybe if you repealed the Twenty-Second Amendment. I dunno.

It's impossible to have a depression during a world war. The players make a fortune off of it.

This is why the Great Depression really didn't end until 1947. All the war did was mask the effects of the Depression. Resources were allocated from production to destruction, war financing was possible through the looser monetary policy and all of the unemployed were drafted.

As soon as the war ended, so the all of that 'growth.' The economy slipped back into recession.

Quite to the contrary.

The Post War Economy: 1945-1960

It's impossible to have a depression during a world war. The players make a fortune off of it.

This is why the Great Depression really didn't end until 1947. All the war did was mask the effects of the Depression. Resources were allocated from production to destruction, war financing was possible through the looser monetary policy and all of the unemployed were drafted.

As soon as the war ended, so the all of that 'growth.' The economy slipped back into recession.

Quite to the contrary.

GDP's Peak to Trough was -12.7% as soon as the war ended. I don't know what you call that, if not a recession.

And sure, the economy did manage to rebound as the economy converted to a wartime economy to a production based economy.

Quite to the contrary.

GDP's Peak to Trough was -12.7% as soon as the war ended. I don't know what you call that, if not a recession.

And sure, the economy did manage to rebound as the economy converted to a wartime economy to a production based economy.

Eisenhower caused a recession when he became president. Republicans love recessions.

Eisenhower caused a recession when he became president. Republicans love recessions.

Eisenhower actually was the only President to achieve sustainable economic growth which was truly genuine. It wasn't the result of an economic boom or bubble. Recessions are a natural part of the business cycle. Economies grow, they contract. It happens. It's not like there is a red button in the White House which says 'Recession' on it.

Eisenhower actually was the only President to achieve sustainable economic growth which was truly genuine. It wasn't the result of an economic boom or bubble. Recessions are a natural part of the business cycle. Economies grow, they contract. It happens. It's not like there is a red button in the White House which says 'Recession' on it.

There is one but for Republican presidents only.:lol:

IF we could reform the system to demand BETTER educational standards. I'd agree with the OP.... ;)

The fact that the bad teachers can remain and drag our system down just makes me sick.
I agree. It's the root of the problem. Too many laws protecting the incompetent teachers is the problem.

It's interesting to look at a list of countries ranked by educational outcome, i.e. test scores.

The last time I looked, all 10 of the Top 10 used a public school system. Finland ranked #1.

I suspect the problem with US education is not that it is a public system, and possibly not even that it is under-funded, but that it is so politicised.

My take on it - let teachers run the schools without political interference. Pay teachers well.

It works here.

Also, ALL teachers in Finland have a Masters Degree.

Our education system is not underfunded it is too top heavy with administrators who do not teach.

Coincidentally, I just returned from a trip to Denmark, Russia, Germany, and Sweden. Education was discussed extensively. They are proud and happy with their government (taxpayer) funded educations systems, and they should be.

The U.S. higher education system is fucked up, but we don't have the courage to face the reasons, or accept the solutions.

The European educational systems that we admire have characteristics that we Americans would never tolerate; mainly, they are COMPETITIVE and SELECTIVE. Yes, you get a free university education, but you only get into the university if you are in the top 10-15 percent of your class, as measured by comprehensive, quantitive testing.

In this country, if we implemented such a system, minorities would essentially be SHUT OUT, and 2/3 of our universities would have to close their doors.

Would you accept those two prices for a top-notch educational system? Would you have been able to get in a university on that basis? Didn't think so.

Our universities are a magnet for students from around the world because, basically, if you have enough money you can BUY YOUR WAY IN, and the curricula are infinitely flexible. At the top levels (for the best students), our universities are equal to the best in the world, but most of our university students are marginal, unmotivated, and mainly there to avoid the responsibilities of adulthood.

So if you would be willing to accept a "higher education" system that only accomodates the top ten percent of our student population, and has only a very few "minorities" then by all means, let's do it.

And by the way, there are no college sports in these European countries. When they go to the university their focus in on getting an education. What a concept!

In all honesty, more than half of the people in our university classrooms have no business being there. If they lived in Germany they would be in a trade school or working some government job, but they would certainly not be enrolled in a university.

Is this what we want?

If Our Beloved President really wanted to do something creative and beneficial for our higher education system, he would sponsor a COMPREHENSIVE, COMPETITIVE, SCHOLARSHIP program, funded by the Federal government, whereby the TOP 10% of American high school students have their Bachelor's Degrees fully paid for by the government. Regardless of income, ethnicity, location, or age.

But no cheating, no bullshit, no affirmative action, or "diversity" goals. It would be strictly on merit.

WHAT A FUCKING MOTIVATOR THAT WOULD BE!

And federal money going into education would REALLY be doing some good, rather than providing loans and grants for marginal students to get degrees in Ethnic Studies.

Coincidentally, I just returned from a trip to Denmark, Russia, Germany, and Sweden. Education was discussed extensively. They are proud and happy with their government (taxpayer) funded educations systems, and they should be.

The U.S. higher education system is fucked up, but we don't have the courage to face the reasons, or accept the solutions.

The European educational systems that we admire have characteristics that we Americans would never tolerate; mainly, they are COMPETITIVE and SELECTIVE. Yes, you get a free university education, but you only get into the university if you are in the top 10-15 percent of your class, as measured by comprehensive, quantitive testing.

In this country, if we implemented such a system, minorities would essentially be SHUT OUT, and 2/3 of our universities would have to close their doors.

Would you accept those two prices for a top-notch educational system? Would you have been able to get in a university on that basis? Didn't think so.

Our universities are a magnet for students from around the world because, basically, if you have enough money you can BUY YOUR WAY IN, and the curricula are infinitely flexible. At the top levels (for the best students), our universities are equal to the best in the world, but most of our university students are marginal, unmotivated, and mainly there to avoid the responsibilities of adulthood.

So if you would be willing to accept a "higher education" system that only accomodates the top ten percent of our student population, and has only a very few "minorities" then by all means, let's do it.

And by the way, there are no college sports in these European countries. When they go to the university their focus in on getting an education. What a concept!

In all honesty, more than half of the people in our university classrooms have no business being there. If they lived in Germany they would be in a trade school or working some government job, but they would certainly not be enrolled in a university.

Is this what we want?
Yes.

sorry for going on about this.

And the federal scholarship program eligibility would be determined exclusively by comprehensive tests, administered by ETS. Grades don't mean shit. Recommendations from teachers don't mean shit.

Test results. Period.

sorry for going on about this.

And the federal scholarship program eligibility would be determined exclusively by comprehensive tests, administered by ETS. Grades don't mean shit. Recommendations from teachers don't mean shit.

Test results. Period.
Another yes.

Forum List

Back