Obama math: under new Common Core, 3 x 4 = 11

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

Quick: what’s 3 x 4?

If you said 11 — or, hell, if you said 7, pi, or infinity squared — that’s just fine under the Common Core, the new national curriculum that the Obama administration will impose on American public school students this fall.

In a pretty amazing YouTube video, Amanda August, a curriculum coordinator in a suburb of Chicago called Grayslake, explains that getting the right answer in math just doesn’t matter as long as kids can explain the necessarily faulty reasoning they used to get to that wrong answer.

“Even if they said, ’3 x 4 was 11,’ if they were able to explain their reasoning and explain how they came up with their answer really in, umm, words and oral explanation, and they showed it in the picture but they just got the final number wrong, we’re really more focused on the how,” August says in the video.

When someone in the audience (presumably a parent, but it’s not certain) asks if teachers will be, you know, correcting students who don’t know rudimentary arithmetic instantly, August makes another meandering, longwinded statement.

Obama math: under new Common Core, 3 x 4 = 11 [VIDEO]

How about teaching the subject??? Is that too hard to ask for? Can we please adopt one of the top 5 countries educational systems. Thank you.

Last edited:
That was a very short piece of a much longer presentation, and I believe that it was taken out of context. Having not seen the complete presentation, I cannot be absolutely sure of the context, but I suspect that 3 times 4 is part of a bigger problem such as the area of a rectangle. A student would be able to score points by explaining that the area of the rectangle is length times width. Perhaps the student might lose points by making a computational error such as 3 x 4 = 11.

The context of the OP would have us believe that common core would accept the answer that 3 x 4 = 11 as long as the student could BS a reason why 3 x 4 should equal 11. I don't believe that is what the speaker is trying to say.

If asked how to find the area of a 3 by 4 rectangle, the students says multiply the length by the width. 3 x 4 = 11 square units. The teacher should congratulate the student on the correct method of doing the problem and being able to explain the correct method, while correcting the student on the incorrect computation.

Last edited:
That was a very short piece of a much longer presentation, and I believe that it was taken out of context. Having not seen the complete presentation, I cannot be absolutely sure of the context, but I suspect that 3 times 4 is part of a bigger problem such as the area of a rectangle. A student would be able to score points by explaining that the area of the rectangle is length times width. Perhaps the student might lose points by making a computational error such as 3 x 4 = 11.

The context of the OP would have us believe that common core would accept the answer that 3 x 4 = 11 as long as the student could BS a reason why 3 x 4 should equal 11. I don't believe that is what the speaker is trying to say.

If asked how to find the area of a 3 by 4 rectangle, the students says multiply the length by the width. 3 x 4 = 11 square units. The teacher should congratulate the student on the correct method of doing the problem and being able to explain the correct method, while correcting the student on the incorrect computation.

Perhaps you are looking for a way to justify government standards that make no sense.

Can you tell me of a single time in your life as an adult when getting to the wrong place, even if you read the map, helped? Why should teachers tell students that getting the wrong answer is ever acceptable? I wouldn't treat Forest Gump with that much contempt, and I would bitch slap any teacher who tried to do that with my children.

Perhaps you are looking for a way to justify government standards that make no sense.

Can you tell me of a single time in your life as an adult when getting to the wrong place, even if you read the map, helped? Why should teachers tell students that getting the wrong answer is ever acceptable? I wouldn't treat Forest Gump with that much contempt, and I would bitch slap any teacher who tried to do that with my children.

Yeah, just knowing how to push the right buttons on the calculator is all you need to know.
There can be no point in knowing how a computation - or any other process - is actually carried out.

Perhaps you need to work on your reading comprehension. What is it about "Correcting the student on the incorrect computation" do you not understand?

Only 6% of scientists identify as "Republicans" the rest are from the "I feel that 3*4=11" school of science and education, then you wonder why our infrastructure is crumbling

Only 6% of scientists identify as "Republicans" the rest are from the "I feel that 3*4=11" school of science and education, then you wonder why our infrastructure is crumbling

You see no value in understanding process rather than simply rote learning of facts?

You see no value in understanding process rather than simply rote learning of facts?

I see great value in understanding the process, there's far too little of it. However, given the current degraded state of American education, I see a real potential for abuse.

I see great value in understanding the process, there's far too little of it. However, given the current degraded state of American education, I see a real potential for abuse.
Abuse of what?
The understanding of what you're learning?
How so?

Abuse of what?
The understanding of what you're learning?
How so?

Our young people can't name three founding fathers if you spot them Adams and Jefferson. They can't name the current VP. They think the free marketplace is evil.

Yeah that kind of abuse

Perhaps you need to work on your reading comprehension. What is it about "Correcting the student on the incorrect computation" do you not understand?

What is it you think I missed? If the question is what is 3*4 and I answer 11, and then tell you that if you take 4 pies and cut them into 3 pieces each you get 11 pieces it might prove I understand the rudimentary process behind multiplication, but it does not mean a teacher should be telling me I get credit for the wrong answer.

Which might explain why, despite your obfuscation, the person in the video was so firm about telling the listeners that they should correct the student. It is good to understand the process, butit is better to be able to use the process correctly.

Last edited:

I see no value in using the process to get the answer wrong because doing so demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the process.

I dare you to argue with me on that.

If you said 11 — or, hell, if you said 7, pi, or infinity squared — that’s just fine under the Common Core, the new national curriculum that the Obama administration will impose on American public school students this fall.

In a pretty amazing YouTube video, Amanda August, a curriculum coordinator in a suburb of Chicago called Grayslake, explains that getting the right answer in math just doesn’t matter as long as kids can explain the necessarily faulty reasoning they used to get to that wrong answer.

“Even if they said, ’3 x 4 was 11,’ if they were able to explain their reasoning and explain how they came up with their answer really in, umm, words and oral explanation, and they showed it in the picture but they just got the final number wrong, we’re really more focused on the how,” August says in the video.

When someone in the audience (presumably a parent, but it’s not certain) asks if teachers will be, you know, correcting students who don’t know rudimentary arithmetic instantly, August makes another meandering, longwinded statement.

How about teaching the subject??? Is that too hard to ask for? Can we please adopt one of the top 5 countries educational systems. Thank you.

Common Core Math.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

A parent's worst nightmare.

We went to the Go which is Common Core math 2 years ago to get it in there for full Core this year.

Here's how it went.

The teachers skipped half the chapters because they couldn't figure out how to teach it because.......

They teach them adding/subtracting doubles and triples on a hundreds chart, well that pissed me off - they going to carry around a 100's chart for their whole life? In the same amount of time you can teach them a hundreds chart you can teach them to carry/borrow, so the parent phone lights up we teach them how to carry and borrow.

We all get notes to come in so we can learn how to show them the "right" way counting up and down on a freaking 100's chart.

Divide. You have to multiply to divide now, you don't divide anymore. Well that's stupid. Taught them to divide the regular way.

We all got notes to come in and learn the "right" way, must multiply not divide! But it's a division problem -?

Fractions. They have to draw pictures to compare, well they can't draw 2/16's and get every one equal. So the stupid answer is wrong every time. We teach them common denominators.

We're all back at school to learn how to draw and try to teach them how to draw exact-LY no common denominators allowed.

Here's another thing they do. Word problems, word problems word problems. Not your regular word problems. There are 5-7 problems in one problem all of a different skill, so if they miss a key word and multiply instead of divide or whatever else is in the twister, the whole thing is wrong.

I could go on forever with examples of Common Core Fucking Math.

For two years the phone between all the parents of all the grades lights up in the afternoon "what the fuck is this now??"

And school just started back up.

Joy to the Common Core Math.

bullshit

Forum List

Back