PsychoMalarkey

think what you want, but in 50 years at the longest by age 4 or 5 a kids future choices, life styles, etc will be completely determined automatically by software and some mouse clicks. all that will be needed is normal monitoring by parents, day care, school, etc to put in the variables per kid

obviously if the kid goes heavy on drugs or if they have some overly traumatic experience the initial information will be wrong, but all that will have to be done is to change the variables to fit the traumatic experience

I think you have a dearth of knowledge about the whimsy of life. Whimsy, the curves life throws and the many, varied, and unpredictable reactions to those curve balls would crash your computer. If not, we should all take the nearest and highest bridge, because life just got too predictable to fully LIVE. I would rather die than live in such a world, or rather rage against such a machine until it was forced to terminate my "program."

You're program might work as a computer model, but practically applied, it simply sucks.

this makes a great hallmark card, but it simply isn't true. the only people with "free will" are those who are psychotic and since society can't deal with such variety it locks those people away.

the closest sane thing you get to free will is people who just say fuck it and go live out in the woods and/or explore the world living off the land. I am sure you know how most people on Earth deal with such people.....

No, some of them get to be exceptional, scholars, outsiders, and the thinkers that pave a better way. We don't all have to conform, and those who refuse to sometimes end up at the top, rather than the bottom.

It is curious in a country that idolizes capital and "rugged individuality" that those very traits are marginalized.
Protectionism? Much?

if all of a parent or both parents time is consumed by working to pay bills then maybe the people should have waited before having kids. maybe they should have gone back to school to get a better education in order to have a higher paying job. they also could have lived frugally for a few years and saved for when the kid did come. if they come home exhausted after working 15 hours across three jobs then they probably aren't giving the kids the attention they deserve either.

they should take some personal responsibility and if they loved their kids they wouldn't put them through that shit

Sweetheart, how old are you? Life does NOT conduct itself according to a planned out script. Life simply happens, and people adapt. Some adapt better than others, it is true, but it really is all done on the fly.

23, and life does not "simply happen", particularly childbirth with the exception of rape. if people want to fool around with sex and aren't able to support a child if/when that does happen then they should be held fully responsible for their choice and society should not have to burden their irresponsibility whether its through welfare programs or another fucked up kid running around.

if people were more responsible and planned their futures out better we wouldn't have deal with all the people that suck at adapting

My daughter is 22. She's annoyingly sure of a number of issues she's never faced as well. She's adaptive though, and changes her perceptions as the situation and observation warrants.

My best advice? Computer models, clinical trials, scholarly research and perceptions are valuable, but real life requires trial and error. Don't be afraid of the error, as iit teaches you more than established knowledge ever will. Keep established knowledge in mind though, as it may save you from some of the trials. Not all, though, and that's a good thing. Some of our trials become cherished memories. Its better not to skip those. You'll have to trust me on that.

think what you want, but in 50 years at the longest by age 4 or 5 a kids future choices, life styles, etc will be completely determined automatically by software and some mouse clicks. all that will be needed is normal monitoring by parents, day care, school, etc to put in the variables per kid

obviously if the kid goes heavy on drugs or if they have some overly traumatic experience the initial information will be wrong, but all that will have to be done is to change the variables to fit the traumatic experience

I think that is utter rubbish and I built my first computer in 1978.

The trouble is too many people may believe that nonsense and then try to cram kids into the programmed box.

Most of the DUMB computer science people can't explain how a von Neumann machine works. Then we need psychologists to design the programs. My college psych book said, "intelligence is what intelligence tests measure."

Talk about Garbage In Garbage Out. :eek:

psik

I believe much of the '70's was a FEMINIST rejection of Antagon's Theory that "our greatness comes from our ability to adapt as individuals to a society which in turn adapts to our circumstances." This is an entirely MASCULINE POV. In fact, if we logically follow it to its extreme, we would end up in ancient Sparta, where individuals deemed never able to "adapt as individuals" were left to die at birth.

to the contrary, i contend that a nurture-based society is one which promotes the idea of struggling to get in where you fit in no matter your natural circumstances at birth - adaptation. the spartan conclusion which you have come up with mimics the nazi characterization which i criticized in that same piece.

masculine, feminine and all-caps aside... i think that my generation has the shittiest idea of how to raise kids on account of the mentalities and agencies arising from the civil rights era and the 70s. i dont propose that race, sex, age and disability should return as grounds for prejudice - your taken to the extreme. but i think we pursue these (of which disability is the most pliable) as replacements for the proceeds of discipline and a social standards which we were raised with.

"lower the bar or prescribe a quick-fix for my wild-child kid and his half-ass parents who reared him." is what it looks like to me.

Pardon me for trying to decipher whatever the hell you attempt to communicate. As I've said before, a writing course wouldn't kill you.

"mentalities and agencies arising from the civil rights era and the 70s"

Let's see if we can fix your attempt at English: "The agencies arising from mentalities that emphasize individual rights during the '70's." The individual rights or "civil rights" included women's rights. For the playing field to be level for women, the bar needed to be lowered.

Once the bar was lowered for women, they set about lowering it for the weak, the "half-assed," and anyone else with whom they could sympathise, but mostly, themselves.

They found themselves unexpectedly raising "wild-child" kids as well as working. Could they accept blame?

Of course not.
:eusa_hand: complete your comprehension course before attempting to paraphrase anything i've written, or feeling in place to criticize my messageboard composition. how many times have you been published, samson? (hint: not your post count)

doping kids and inventing disabilities aren't necessary consequences of professional women. wtf are you talking about? i think half-assed parenting can be distinguished from good parenting which still takes place among all demographics and within generation x.

i'm not sure i don't or didn't have any of these deals. i'm pretty sure it was not severe, if that was the case. do you have any insight into what has caused the insurgence of these 'disorders' and can we be certain it isn't just zealous diagnosis?
No idea. I'm sure lazy parenting has contributed somewhat to incorrect diagnoses, but I know from my own experiences that at least some are legitimate.

one thing is certain, that if you were born in the 60s your life would have involved adapting to society without any prescribed drugs.
I'm sure. Older relatives of mine do have the same sort of problem, however, and have probably suffered by not having access to the same sort of treatment that I benefited from as a child.

...maybe non-prescription. :eusa_think:
I'm on several of those, too. I'm sure they don't help. :lol:

i just warn of a risk of people intercepting our inherent ability to adapt on our own. i also believe that there are roles for different types personalities in our world. could we be dousing the potential of our athletes and entrepreneurs, among many examples of individuals who don't fit a centrally determined 'norm'?

i could be altogether wrong. what is the net gain or loss of this treatment in our society? i guess we still put out athletes and entrepreneurs. :doubt:

doping kids and inventing disabilities aren't necessary consequences of professional women. wtf are you talking about? i think half-assed parenting can be distinguished from good parenting which still takes place among all demographics and within generation x.

It doesn't take a genius to know there's a wide range of parenting quality among humans.

When you begin a thread with the premise of "PsychoMalarkey," and then make even your vaugest reference to "70's mindset," it is not a huge logical leap to connect the Women's Movement and Motherhood to increases in behaviour disorders among their children.

It is not my fault if you haven't the capacity to connect dots.

I think you have a dearth of knowledge about the whimsy of life. Whimsy, the curves life throws and the many, varied, and unpredictable reactions to those curve balls would crash your computer. If not, we should all take the nearest and highest bridge, because life just got too predictable to fully LIVE. I would rather die than live in such a world, or rather rage against such a machine until it was forced to terminate my "program."

You're program might work as a computer model, but practically applied, it simply sucks.

this makes a great hallmark card, but it simply isn't true. the only people with "free will" are those who are psychotic and since society can't deal with such variety it locks those people away.

the closest sane thing you get to free will is people who just say fuck it and go live out in the woods and/or explore the world living off the land. I am sure you know how most people on Earth deal with such people.....

No, some of them get to be exceptional, scholars, outsiders, and the thinkers that pave a better way. We don't all have to conform, and those who refuse to sometimes end up at the top, rather than the bottom.

It is curious in a country that idolizes capital and "rugged individuality" that those very traits are marginalized.
Protectionism? Much?

Not only that but I do believe all of us are born with inate abilities, gifts, brilliance that differs from person to person and some of the way we process and use information is pretty well hard wired. I don't buy the theory that our personalities are fixed by age four or five because I've watched too many people change for the better when they decided they didn't like the way they were. I've done it myself. And it does require some trial and error.

I think drugging people can short circuit and possibly even destroy some of of that.

We once knew how to deal with the 'difficult' child and channel his/her 'differences' into something constructive. Now it seems that too often the schools etc. just want the kids drugged into conformity so that they will be more manageable.

At the same time I think we are feeding kids too much crap, they are getting far too little exercise and free play, and TV, computers, video games etc. are consuming much of their creative mental processing. We should start rethinking how much we program kids anymore instead of encouraging individuality.

Just my two cents worth.

We once knew how to deal with the 'difficult' child and channel his/her 'differences' into something constructive. Just my two cents worth.

We did?

When? How?

Well, I haven't done a lot of teaching and don't have a teaching certificate, but I have subbed some back when you didn't have to have to be certified to do that. It never occurred to me to drug a kid, though there were some I would have liked to put in a straight jacket or something. So I can going by the educators in my family and experience working with kids and their observations and opinions about that.

On a particular project, I was once in a chat room with a dozen or so 13-ish year old boys. And when one of the kids mentioned that it was almost time for his ritalin and how much he hated taking it, the others started piping up. Almost every one of those kids was on some kind of behavior modification drug. And none of them knew each other in real life. I just think there is something wrong with that picture.

We once knew how to deal with the 'difficult' child and channel his/her 'differences' into something constructive. Just my two cents worth.

We did?

When? How?

And when one of the kids mentioned that it was almost time for his ritalin and how much he hated taking it, the others started piping up. Almost every one of those kids was on some kind of behavior modification drug. And none of them knew each other in real life. I just think there is something wrong with that picture.

Did any of them mention having hated being vaccinated for smallpox, causing you to think there was "something wrong with the picture?"

We did?

When? How?

And when one of the kids mentioned that it was almost time for his ritalin and how much he hated taking it, the others started piping up. Almost every one of those kids was on some kind of behavior modification drug. And none of them knew each other in real life. I just think there is something wrong with that picture.

Did any of them mention having hated being vaccinated for smallpox, causing you to think there was "something wrong with the picture?"

Not the same thing, Samson.

But you do seem to have a strong opinion about this. Why do you support behaviorial modification drugs for kids?

I went to a Catholic school ( yes, it was in the stone age), believe me when the nun walked in the room with her ruler in her hand and usually smacked the loudest talker, nobody in the room had a attention deficit. The real cure for most of this bullshit is to give the disciplinary authority back to the classroom teacher where it belongs. No, I don't mean physical violence , I mean control. You can't teach in the midst of chaos. Pappadave. P.S. Of course, my parents wouldn't sue. Whenever I was dumb enough to tell my parents that the nun whacked me I usually got another whack from them for acting up in school.

I never liked Catholic school, even though I never attended, My cousins did. They got in trouble in class (or the hallway!) for talking to each OTHER. My aunt, the sweetest woman in the world (and the provider of peanut butter and fluff, something my mother wouldn't hear of) had nothing wrong to say about the Catholic church, or nuns, doling out corporal punishment to her child. I told her that when I grew up, there would be hell to pay for such shit where mine were concerned, and that I couldn't understand such a good mommy would let someone else decide to put their hands on HER kids.

My family was crazier than shit house rats in some regards, but that kind of stuff was decided IN house, not by some random "authority."

That trust in the church, that abdication of parental authority is what allowed the abuse of children to go on for so long. Kids aren't going to tell you SQUAT if they figure they're going to get a second beating for it. They need to know their parents have their back when push comes to shove. And yes, even if they're wrong, they need to know that their mom and dad will help them set things right. That doesn't mean supporting bad behavior, but it does mean not allowing someone to abuse them because of their weak position.

very good post

:clap2::clap2:

But you do seem to have a strong opinion about this. Why do you support behaviorial modification drugs for kids?

Well, it IS the same thing, unless you'd like to 'splain why it isn't.

One thing I do agree with blu about is how individuals with behaviour disorders were treated in the past: Very Badly. This is why I was interested in your remark:

We once knew how to deal with the 'difficult' child and channel his/her 'differences' into something constructive.

But you never responded to my questions: How did we "know deal with the 'difficult' child?"

In reality, we didn't. Furthermore, they were certainly only very rarely (if at all) "channeled into something constructive."

So, to answer your question, I don't see the difference between modern pharmacology being the solution to epidemics of small pox, polio, tuberculosis, or behaviour disorders.

Well, it IS the same thing, unless you'd like to 'splain why it isn't.

One thing I do agree with blu about is how individuals with behaviour disorders were treated in the past: Very Badly. This is why I was interested in your remark:

We once knew how to deal with the 'difficult' child and channel his/her 'differences' into something constructive.

But you never responded to my questions: How did we "know deal with the 'difficult' child?"

In reality, we didn't. Furthermore, they were certainly only very rarely (if at all) "channeled into something constructive."

So, to answer your question, I don't see the difference between modern pharmacology being the solution to epidemics of small pox, polio, tuberculosis, or behaviour disorders.

Well as I said, I'm pretty sure I would have been diagnosed as an ADD child, and I know my teachers got frustrated with me. But they and I managed to get me through school in pretty good shape. Ditto for Mr. Foxfyre. I am pretty sure our two kids would have been diagnosed as ADD kids as I would get their report cards with mostly or all A's, but terrible marks in what they then called 'deportment', 'ability to concentrate and focus' etc. etc. etc. But they managed to find ways to hold their interest and get them through school. One of those kids is now a professional mechanical engineer, the other a PhD sociologist. No drugs were involved.

My granddaughter, however, was finally put on Ritalin. Did it help her? I don't know. it did make her easier to be around sometimes.

So again, not being a professional teacher, I don't know for sure how it is done. I just know that my friends and family who are professional teachers manage when they have to.

And those who are professional teachers or who have more experience with it may have some very good arguments to persuade me that it is necessary. I just wonder how we managed to have good schools and good kids and high graduation rates before this stuff was invented.

I just wonder how we managed to have good schools and good kids and high graduation rates before this stuff was invented.

Oh, that's easy to answer.

We simply removed the worst problems from the school, and didn't worry about expulsion rates.

They were sent home, eventually institutionalised or sent to war, or given a can of pencils to sell on a street corner, or sent to work on a farm. Most became alcoholics, and died in a ditch.

Ahhhhhh,,,yes......the good ol' days!!

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: blu
I just wonder how we managed to have good schools and good kids and high graduation rates before this stuff was invented.

We simply removed the worst problems from the school, and didn't worry about expulsion rates.

They were sent home, eventually institutionalised or sent to war, or given a can of pencils to sell on a street corner, or sent to work on a farm. Most became alcoholics, and died in a ditch.

No, I don't think so. Very very few expulsions happened when i went to school, and very very few when our kids were in school. Almost all of us "ADD" kids survived it quite nicely, graduated, and went on to live normal lives.

Anyhow, if a kid can't make it in school, how in the world would they be able to handle military discipline?

But do you have particular experience to support giving the kids behavior modification drugs? Again I am open to be persuaded by people who know their stuff.

No, I don't think so. Very very few expulsions happened when i went to school, and very very few when our kids were in school. Almost all of us "ADD" kids survived it quite nicely, graduated, and went on to live normal lives.

Anyhow, if a kid can't make it in school, how in the world would they be able to handle military discipline?

But do you have particular experience to support giving the kids behavior modification drugs? Again I am open to be persuaded by people who know their stuff.

I'm certain we don't remember the expulsions: Normally the kids simply didn't return after the summer, and we concluded they must have moved away or whatnot. Kids aren't known for their in-depth perceptive powers and synthesis cognitive skills.

The military used to be a place where, if you had a behaviour disorder, you'd simply be thrown in a hole for six weeks, then be given duty clearing a minefield. Today, they simply discharge you.

I have a wealth of experience dealing with behaviour modification, using every technique you can imagine. There is no magic bullet, however, perscritive medication given by a psychiatrist (schools, teachers, etc cannot perscribe these) is ONE possible, and often very effective method. This is particularly useful in modern housholds where both parents are employed full time, and an exausting, time consuming regiem of behaviour modification is not possible.

It doesn't take a genius to know there's a wide range of parenting quality among humans.

When you begin a thread with the premise of "PsychoMalarkey," and then make even your vaugest reference to "70's mindset," it is not a huge logical leap to connect the Women's Movement and Motherhood to increases in behaviour disorders among their children.

It is not my fault if you haven't the capacity to connect dots.

this could be true, buddy. i tried to be specific by pointing to the 'i was born this way' mentality, and being certain to distance my criticism of the civil rights era and the 70s from a criticism of the core values of the time.

i remind that you are the only one to connect the dots as you have. i suppose that i put my capacity for connecting the dots on the butcher block by presuming the roots of the trend in question are derivatives of this era in the first place, but even your logical hop concurs.

the telling contrast is your recognition of 'behaviour disorders' and mine of ol' fashioned misbehavior.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back