Proton Pump Inhibitors

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
I don't practice primary care, but over the years, I have had several patients whose primary care providers put them on proton pump inhibitors for their acid reflux. About 2 years ago, I was put on one as well. Believing I no longer needed it, and getting ready for retirement and wanting to have a smaller copay, I asked my doctor to put me on something cheaper. For 2 weeks, I have had severe withdrawal from the ppi. I have never experienced nausea like I have over the last coupld of weeks, and my body would not do me the favor of letting me hurl. The nausea was the rebound acid syndrome, which I would never have though could be so severe. I managed to get through by sipping a little sodium bicarb and water, but in the process taking in sodium which I really don't need. It did help, though, and today is the first day for 2 weeks without the nausea.

Something else you migt want to know about PPIs: They can cause a false positive test for cannabis. The test can be shown to be a false positive through a very expensive confirmatory test.

Forum List

Back