Proof - Many Scientific Terms Are Widely Misunderstood

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009

1. Proof

By Annalee Newitz

June 23, 2014

Many ideas have left the world of science and made their way into everyday language — and unfortunately, they are almost always used incorrectly. We asked a group of scientists to tell us which scientific terms they believe are the most widely misunderstood. Here are ten of them.

Physicist Sean Carroll says:
I would say that "proof" is the most widely misunderstood concept in all of science. It has a technical definition (a logical demonstration that certain conclusions follow from certain assumptions) that is strongly at odds with how it is used in casual conversation, which is closer to simply "strong evidence for something." There is a mismatch between how scientists talk and what people hear because scientists tend to have the stronger definition in mind. And by that definition, science never proves anything! So when we are asked "What is your proof that we evolved from other species?" or "Can you really prove that climate change is caused by human activity?" we tend to hem and haw rather than simply saying "Of course we can." The fact that science never really proves anything, but simply creates more and more reliable and comprehensive theories of the world that nevertheless are always subject to update and improvement, is one of the key aspects of why science is so successful.

"Global Warming" was often misused by the far left so they had to change it to "Climate Change" and once again the far left destroyed this term, get the far left out of politics and the world will be a much better place.

Two terms that meant natural courses of action for this planet destroyed by the far left and their propaganda.

I would propose "Theory".
Especially when used by the anti-evolution crowd.

When used in non-scientific context, the word “theory” implies that something is unproven or speculative. As used in science, however, a theory is an explanation or model based on observation, experimentation, and reasoning, especially one that has been tested and confirmed as a general principle helping to explain and predict natural phenomena.
What is a Scientific Theory? | Definition of Theory

When used in non-scientific context, the word “theory” implies that something is unproven or speculative. As used in science, however, a theory is an explanation or model based on observation, experimentation, and reasoning, especially one that has been tested and confirmed as a general principle helping to explain and predict natural phenomena.

And yet you just demonstrated that you don't even understand the word...

And yet you just demonstrated that you don't even understand the word...

Please feel free to point out my error.

Evolution cannot actually predict future events, thus it doesn't meet your definition of theory.

Evolution cannot actually predict future events, thus it doesn't meet your definition of theory.

Sure it can.

Sure it can.

No it cannot, all it can predict is that things change, it cannot predict what that change will be. If you want an example of a theory that can predict future events watch your weather report on TV tonight.

Sure it can.

No it cannot, all it can predict is that things change, it cannot predict what that change will be. If you want an example of a theory that can predict future events watch your weather report on TV tonight.

It can predict that change will occur in response to environmental conditions and pressures.
That's the basis of evolution theory.

Sure it can.

It can predict that change will occur in response to environmental conditions and pressures.

That was funny.

If the theory of evolution meets your definition of theory feel free to provide actual examples of it predicting future events. Please note, the future will be different is not a prediction.

Alternatively, you can admit your definition of theory is too restrictive and revise it.

Here is a good one that doesn't leave out the Theory of Evolution.

http://www.livescience.com/21491-what-is-a-scientific-theory-definition-of-theory.html

Last edited:

That was funny.

If the theory of evolution meets your definition of theory feel free to provide actual examples of it predicting future events. Please note, the future will be different is not a prediction.

Alternatively, you can admit your definition of theory is too restrictive and revise it.

Hilarious.
That's the same link as mine!

Some more examples that actually include the Theory of Evoultion.

Scientific theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Face it @ibd, your source was wrong. Stop relying in internet dictionaries to define scientific terms and look to scientists to explain them.

Because of the way Republicans misuse, abuse and twist science, this thread should be in the "Politics" section but-----but back to the subject, Astrophysicist Dave Goldberg has a theory about the word theory:

2. Theory

Members of the general public (along with people with an ideological axe to grind) hear the word "theory" and equate it with "idea" or "supposition." We know better. Scientific theories are entire systems of testable ideas which are potentially refutable either by the evidence at hand or an experiment that somebody could perform. The best theories (in which I include special relativity, quantum mechanics, and evolution) have withstood a hundred years or more of challenges, either from people who want to prove themselves smarter than Einstein, or from people who don't like metaphysical challenges to their world view. Finally, theories are malleable, but not infinitely so. Theories can be found to be incomplete or wrong in some particular detail without the entire edifice being torn down. Evolution has, itself, adapted a lot over the years, but not so much that it wouldn't still be recognize it. The problem with the phrase "just a theory," is that it implies a real scientific theory is a small thing, and it isn't.

That was funny.

Hilarious.

Damn, it is. I guess that makes me as stupid as you in posting links.

Doesn't change the fact that evolution does not predict future events, yet it is still a valid scientific theory, which is why the definition is faulty.

Some more examples that actually include the Theory of Evoultion.

Scientific theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Face it @ibd, your source was wrong. Stop relying in internet dictionaries to define scientific terms and look to scientists to explain them.

Because of the way Republicans misuse, abuse and twist science, this thread should be in the "Politics" section but-----but back to the subject, Astrophysicist Dave Goldberg has a theory about the word theory:

2. Theory

Members of the general public (along with people with an ideological axe to grind) hear the word "theory" and equate it with "idea" or "supposition." We know better. Scientific theories are entire systems of testable ideas which are potentially refutable either by the evidence at hand or an experiment that somebody could perform. The best theories (in which I include special relativity, quantum mechanics, and evolution) have withstood a hundred years or more of challenges, either from people who want to prove themselves smarter than Einstein, or from people who don't like metaphysical challenges to their world view. Finally, theories are malleable, but not infinitely so. Theories can be found to be incomplete or wrong in some particular detail without the entire edifice being torn down. Evolution has, itself, adapted a lot over the years, but not so much that it wouldn't still be recognize it. The problem with the phrase "just a theory," is that it implies a real scientific theory is a small thing, and it isn't.

Would you like a list of Democrats that do the exact same fucking thing as Republicans, or would it boggle your mind to admit that politicians always politicize science? That is their fucking job, so complaining about one side doing it while ignoring the fact that your side does it make you a hack.

That was funny.

Hilarious.

Damn, it is. I guess that makes me as stupid as you in posting links.

Doesn't change the fact that evolution does not predict future events, yet it is still a valid scientific theory, which is why the definition is faulty.

Stupid scientists!

Forum List

Back