Project will study best ways to capture atmospheric CO2, rebuild fragile peat islands

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
Project will study best ways to capture atmospheric CO2, rebuild fragile peat islands

Imagine a new kind of farming in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta - "carbon-capture" farming, which traps atmospheric carbon dioxide and rebuilds lost soils.

The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), the California Department of Water Resources (DWR) and the University of California, Davis plan to make it happen.

DWR has awarded USGS and UC Davis a three-year, $12.3 million research grant to take the concept of carbon-capture farming to full-scale in a scientifically and environmentally sound way.

Long-standing farming practices in the Delta expose fragile peat soils to wind, rain and cultivation, emit carbon dioxide (CO2) and cause land subsidence. To capture or contain the carbon, farmers would "grow" wetlands. In doing so, they would begin to rebuild the Delta's unique peat soils, take CO2 out of the atmosphere, ease pressure on the Delta's aging levees and infuse the region with new economic potential.

Carbon-capture farming works as CO2 is taken out of the air by plants such as tules and cattails. As the plants die and decompose, they create new peat soil, building the land surface over time.

Another way to fight CO2 Build up?? :clap2:

Source
USGS Release: "Carbon farm" project will study ways to capture atmospheric CO2 (7/23/2008 12:55:00 PM)

Some how I messed up the title of this thread, Sorry. Wont let me edit it. If a mod can edit the title, just make it the same as the first bold line in the quote. That would be a better title than the crazy BS I put in there.

I have no idea where that title came from, Random copy and paste I guess.

Last edited:
The silence is deafening!!

More good news. I'm watching Discover Channel. Tis is off memory. 3ts a commercial and I'm no scientist, but here goes. The nutrient rich water in the ocean that would grow plancton is 1000 feet down. So they built these huge pumps that bring this water to the surfice. The plancton captures co2. Enough to wipe out all the polution we let off.

Science is amazing. Lets see if it does anything negative to the environment. So far it sounds good. 60 miles off hawaii.

i'll post more if I hear some more interesting facts. show is called Discovery Project Earth.

We'll figure this problem out.

More good news. I'm watching Discover Channel. Tis is off memory. 3ts a commercial and I'm no scientist, but here goes. The nutrient rich water in the ocean that would grow plancton is 1000 feet down. So they built these huge pumps that bring this water to the surfice. The plancton captures co2. Enough to wipe out all the polution we let off.

Science is amazing. Lets see if it does anything negative to the environment. So far it sounds good. 60 miles off hawaii.

i'll post more if I hear some more interesting facts. show is called Discovery Project Earth.

We'll figure this problem out.

I hope you are right, but I think it is too late. I think we are screwed.

I hope you are right, but I think it is too late. I think we are screwed.

The show is over. This is new stuff. Not actually happening yet, but looks promising. But, no telling what side affects to mother nature. Could bring up toxins not good for us or wildlife. could cause chain reaction, etc. I think we can capture and recycle carbon polution this way. capture chinas, indias, europes. they'll all pay, except china. they'll just steal it.

Forum List

Back