Primary causes for mass shootings?

Primary causes for mass shootings? Choose three

• Contrary/unhealthy thought, such as men are women, fat is beautiful, inciting racism, etc.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • The assault on traditional values, U.S. history and God

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Multi-culturism

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Over-population

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Virtual world (internet, texting), losing touch & respect, social decline, 2 much info., propaganda

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Guns & the NRA

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Lack of responsibility, and the inability and desire to solve basic problems, pampered public

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Hollywood sucks and same with mainstream music.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Selfishness

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
Lots of causes .

I don’t understand why Cons just pretend you can’t do anything about it.

They only do this with guns . Nothing else . No con ever says “illegals will find a way in. Why bother trying to stop them.”

You aren't trying to do anything about it. You're trying to make of worse by disarming good guys.

If you cared about doing something you wouldn't be trying to infringe on the rights of others. You'd be trying to address e actual problem "why are teens trying to kill their classmates"?

Lots of causes .

They only do this with guns . Nothing else .
Kinda hard to do a mass shooting without a gun.

But its not hard to do mass killings. We've seen them with knives, cars, planes etc.

The problem isn't the weapon they chose. The problem is they are spiritually dead inside.

And many lack fathers in their home

Lots of causes .

But its not hard to do mass killings. We've seen them with knives, cars, planes etc.

The problem isn't the weapon they chose. The problem is they are spiritually dead inside.

And many lack fathers in their home
I completely agree with your last point.
But thread is entitled mass shootings.

Lots of causes .

Such an animal as a propane tank. If a person has the desire, they could cause far more damage without a gun. Much cheaper than an AR15 too. Guns are just hip and in accord with the media, TV and video games.

Can't say I like where this country is, and where it's headed. No doubt many of you feel the same. So what do we do about it? A return to respect and dignity would be an outstanding start.

Last edited:
I added "other" - social alienation, and attention - if you're a mass shooter (or for that matter a jihadist since the psychology is similar) - you get your 15 minutes of fame splashing all across the country. A loser becomes a "winner" in his distorted mind. He's finally someone.

I agree......considering what this kid had been thru that would have contributed to those thoughts/mind frame. He had been an attention seeker all of his life, and nobody took the time

There are other parts to th problem.

One is the gun culture. Specifically OUR gun culture. It is a culture that glorifies a man with a gun and glorifies guns. Guns aren’t just a tool like other countries. They are a symbol. And nothing in my mind makes that more evident then pictures of pimply faced adolescent males carrying their assault rifles into a store. Not because we live in a country that NEEDS to do that. But it makes them feel big. I admire the man who talks down and and disarms a shooter as much as the man who shoots him. They are both stopping him.

The second part of the culture problem is most of our kids do not grow up with guns. With strict training, responsibility, safety measures and simply appropriate use. I have no issue with gun use and ethics being taught in our schools along with drivers ed as an option. I have no problem with target shooting and plinking. Kids don’t need an AK for that.

Lastly, in a culture that glorifies guns and seems to conflate law and order with vigilanteism we don’t need certain armaments in the hands of civilians. We don’t need assault rifles, bump stocks, high capacity magazines, and armor piercing ammo.

We have 330 million people in this country.

Only any given day there are at least a million who are certifiable batshit crazy.

Crazy people do crazy things.

Too bad the Democrats voted down the Grassley Cruz bill that would have strengthened the reporting of the mentally ill into the NICS data system. That may have prevented several of these shootings like the one in Texas.

Also, too bad the government doesn't follow up on reported cases of potential threats. We saw that in Parkland and several other places, didn't we?

Last edited:

Only any given day there are at least a million who are certifiable batshit crazy.

Too bad the Democrats voted down the Grassley Cruz bill that would have strengthened the reporting of the mentally ill into the NICS data system. That may have prevented several of these shootings like the one in Texas.

Also, too bad the government doesn't follow up on reported cases of potential threats. We saw that in Parkland and several other places, didn't we?
Didn't Teump overturn Obama era regulations on liliting acess to weapons for mentally compromised people?

Didn't Teump overturn Obama era regulations on liliting acess to weapons for mentally compromised people?

You mean where that asshole Obama wanted to take firearms away from disabled veterans and social security recipients because he could?

You mean where that asshole Obama wanted to take firearms away from disabled veterans and social security recipients because he could?
Nope that wasnt what it was.

humans have been killing/hating/raping/robbing/etc since they became human [ and before?? ]
--and always will
over 85% of murders are committed by males!! this is a huge clue as to why!

--they kill for $$$/jealousy/''fun'' -yes for the thrill of it [ and not just serial killers/hate/greed/power/sex/etc etc etc

..many serial killers had genius IQs!!! very high IQs!!
These Terrifying Murderers Used Their Genius-Level IQs To Kill People
Killing Just For the Thrill of It All
Life in prison for 'thrill kill' teen - CNN

mass killers have different motives/targets
McVeigh was pissed at the government--not so much a ''psycho' as Cruz appears to be
Cruz pissed at his schoolmates
Charles Whitman and the Vegas shooter didn't seem to have a specific group targeted--

This is the best answer. Ppl, and especially but not only, men have killed each other throughout history. It's as simple as that. That's why gun control is so important. More important than focusing on mental health, even.

One is the gun culture. Specifically OUR gun culture. It is a culture that glorifies a man with a gun and glorifies guns. Guns aren’t just a tool like other countries. They are a symbol. And nothing in my mind makes that more evident then pictures of pimply faced adolescent males carrying their assault rifles into a store. Not because we live in a country that NEEDS to do that. But it makes them feel big. I admire the man who talks down and and disarms a shooter as much as the man who shoots him. They are both stopping him.

The second part of the culture problem is most of our kids do not grow up with guns. With strict training, responsibility, safety measures and simply appropriate use. I have no issue with gun use and ethics being taught in our schools along with drivers ed as an option. I have no problem with target shooting and plinking. Kids don’t need an AK for that.

Lastly, in a culture that glorifies guns and seems to conflate law and order with vigilanteism we don’t need certain armaments in the hands of civilians. We don’t need assault rifles, bump stocks, high capacity magazines, and armor piercing ammo.
Wrong.
We grew up watching movies and TV with guns galore (the Rifleman shot an average of seven dudes per episode) and we played with cap guns and secret agent guns, etc., and we never, EVER even considered using a real gun on anyone.

Wrong.
We grew up watching movies and TV with guns galore (the Rifleman shot an average of seven dudes per episode) and we played with cap guns and secret agent guns, etc., and we never, EVER even considered using a real gun on anyone.

That's because we had strong values. We've regressed and by a large margin. Those who deny that are dumb, ignorant or lying.

You forgot one which is why I also picked "other".

Both sides have been using increasingly divisive language, and a lot of those on the fringes have worked very hard to dehumanize the other side.

That is one of the reasons for mass shootings. If you don't think of someone as "human" or think of them as a "demon" or "threat to this country", then it becomes easier to kill them because they no longer matter to that person.

You can see examples of this on a daily basis here at USMB. I've seen people calling for the killing of liberals, communists, immigrants, etc. etc., and what's worse, they think that by killing all those groups, it will make the country a better place.

If we want things to get better, those at the top need to stop the divisive rhetoric and actually start working together, or at the very least, try to see things from the other sides point of view, even if you don't agree with it, at least try to understand why they think that way.

But sadly..................the politicians used up all the bad things to call each other and had to ramp it up to scary. The people of this country who listen to those politicians have let that behavior seep into their own lives, and now, it's not a question of how can we solve things, it's more of "I'm right, you're wrong, and you should leave the country if you're not with me".

But, sadly, I don't see any of that stopping anytime soon, but I do think that unless something is done quickly, there are going to be more kids killed in school.

And putting armed teachers in school is a bad idea as well. Why? Because there may be some suicidal kids out there who will want to see if they can attack a school with armed teachers and see if they can still be successful. And the scary thing? They will be coming at it from the standpoint that the teachers are armed and will more than likely resort to wearing body armor.

Why are you so delusional?

Where are kids going to get body armor?

The AR-15 and handguns serve other purposes, but if you see a kid buying body armor, wouldn't that be just a little over the top?

The first kid who tried to attack a school and gets ventilated before he gets through the door will not instill a lot of confidence in anyone.

Cruz had pictures of himself online wearing body armor in the form of a vest.

And...................it's really not that hard to get a vest or other bullet proof clothing.

Google it sometime.

You forgot one which is why I also picked "other".

Both sides have been using increasingly divisive language, and a lot of those on the fringes have worked very hard to dehumanize the other side.

That is one of the reasons for mass shootings. If you don't think of someone as "human" or think of them as a "demon" or "threat to this country", then it becomes easier to kill them because they no longer matter to that person.

You can see examples of this on a daily basis here at USMB. I've seen people calling for the killing of liberals, communists, immigrants, etc. etc., and what's worse, they think that by killing all those groups, it will make the country a better place.

If we want things to get better, those at the top need to stop the divisive rhetoric and actually start working together, or at the very least, try to see things from the other sides point of view, even if you don't agree with it, at least try to understand why they think that way.

But sadly..................the politicians used up all the bad things to call each other and had to ramp it up to scary. The people of this country who listen to those politicians have let that behavior seep into their own lives, and now, it's not a question of how can we solve things, it's more of "I'm right, you're wrong, and you should leave the country if you're not with me".

But, sadly, I don't see any of that stopping anytime soon, but I do think that unless something is done quickly, there are going to be more kids killed in school.

And putting armed teachers in school is a bad idea as well. Why? Because there may be some suicidal kids out there who will want to see if they can attack a school with armed teachers and see if they can still be successful. And the scary thing? They will be coming at it from the standpoint that the teachers are armed and will more than likely resort to wearing body armor.

Why are you so delusional?

Where are kids going to get body armor?

The AR-15 and handguns serve other purposes, but if you see a kid buying body armor, wouldn't that be just a little over the top?

The first kid who tried to attack a school and gets ventilated before he gets through the door will not instill a lot of confidence in anyone.

Cruz had pictures of himself online wearing body armor in the form of a vest.

And...................it's really not that hard to get a vest or other bullet proof clothing.

Google it sometime.

Catch a clue. That shit you order on-line is about as bulletproof as as your Mom's 18-Hour bra!

Besides, the worst thing about vests is that a shot to the face defeats the purpose.

Last edited:
That's because we had strong values. We've regressed and by a large margin. Those who deny that are dumb, ignorant or lying.
It’s because we had dads.

Not all dads are good. My biological father as well as the stepfathers that I had were less than honorable men.

So joining the Navy came naturally? You had plenty of useless role models.:D

Just kidding! You turned out OK apparently, even for a PN.

Forum List

Back