Pride and Predjudice

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
We both had not seen it before, it isn't a bad movie, but not even close to a great movie.
It has it's moments, but for the most part it draaaags on and on. In the first 10 minutes you know what is going to happen, which is exactly what does happen. The guy gets the girl... but not after 1:30 of droning on about it first.
All in all, don't really get how this has the ratings it does.

We both had not seen it before, it isn't a bad movie, but not even close to a great movie.
It has it's moments, but for the most part it draaaags on and on. In the first 10 minutes you know what is going to happen, which is exactly what does happen. The guy gets the girl... but not after 1:30 of droning on about it first.

no no no no no WHAT? My eyes, my eyes!! What have I read lol

Are you talking about the Kiera Knightley movie? That's the BEST one. A classic. My favorite movie, also my favorite novel.

no no no no no WHAT? My eyes, my eyes!! What have I read lol

Are you talking about the Kiera Knightley movie? That's the BEST one. A classic. My favorite movie, also my favorite novel.
Yes that one.
I don't really get Kiera Knightly either. She has pretty eyes, but not much else. Pretty sure a wealthy aristocrat would not glance twice at her. Particularly in that time period. He would have probably had her flogged for her "insolence".
But I will admit, I am a man after all, and this is very much a chick flick. I didn't know that going into it.
Step 1 - guy meets irreverent girl.
Step 2 - They pretend to hate each other, but secretly love each other.
Step 3 - They can't stay away from each other although all they do is insult the other and storm off mad.
Step 4 - 10 minutes before the film ends... wait... they gaze into each others eyes and can't resist their deep passion and love.
Step 5 - Credits.

Yes that one.
I don't really get Kiera Knightly either. She has pretty eyes, but not much else. Pretty sure a wealthy aristocrat would not glance twice at her. Particularly in that time period. He would have probably had her flogged for her "insolence".
But I will admit, I am a man after all, and this is very much a chick flick. I didn't know that going into it.
Step 1 - guy meets irreverent girl.
Step 2 - They pretend to hate each other, but secretly love each other.
Step 3 - They can't stay away from each other although all they do is insult the other and storm off mad.
Step 4 - 10 minutes before the film ends... wait... they gaze into each others eyes and can't resist their deep passion and love.
Step 5 - Credits.

Well, I can see that. It's one of those stories that I think you have to know going in, first, and better yet if you've read Austen. I admit that I tried to read P&P at 16, and it took me about 3 tries to get into it. But after that, I have read it half a dozen times at least.

She wrote that novel at a time when 1. Women weren't authors and 2. Romance books were hardly a 'thing'. But it's beyond a romance book--Austen is a wise woman with a great satirical eye. Lots of social commentary in all the goings-on, that maybe a 21st century viewer wouldn't pick up on, especially in movie form. You might even say in part, Austen laid the groundwork for the women's rights movement that happened in England and elsewhere a few decades later.

Well, I can see that. It's one of those stories that I think you have to know going in, first, and better yet if you've read Austen. I admit that I tried to read P&P at 16, and it took me about 3 tries to get into it. But after that, I have read it half a dozen times at least.

She wrote that novel at a time when 1. Women weren't authors and 2. Romance books were hardly a 'thing'. But it's beyond a romance book--Austen is a wise woman with a great satirical eye. Lots of social commentary in all the goings-on, that maybe a 21st century viewer wouldn't pick up on, especially in movie form. You might even say in part, Austen laid the groundwork for the women's rights movement that happened in England and elsewhere a few decades later.
Ahh... I get that, I wasn't aware that the novel was written in 1813.
Looked to me like yet another Cinderella remake of the 10,000 Cinderella remakes out there.
It is a Cinderella story, but written from a woman's perspective.
Buut... I am still a dude, and just can't get into that, now, tired and very repeated plot theme.

Ahh... I get that, I wasn't aware that the novel was written in 1813.
Looked to me like yet another Cinderella remake of the 10,000 Cinderella remakes out there.
It is a Cinderella story, but written from a woman's perspective.
Buut... I am still a dude, and just can't get into that, now, tired and very repeated plot theme.

To be fair, my husband HATES that movie with all the passion of a thousand suns. Ha! When I put it on, he will put his chin up and say 'Lady wife, I'm going to remove myself to hence take out the trash' and all this other business.

Yeah, mostly chick flick.

In all fairness, this is a story better read than watched. It does not translate well to the screen.

Which movie version?

I have a copy of the novel that was printed the year I was born.

Oh hell yeah... the last true first edition in great condition sold for about $90,000 in Britain.
I have first editions of other books, but have not looked at what they are worth.

In addition to the ones I have, I also had a mint condition of the first edition of Death of a Salesman, but my mother sold it for a quarter when she was pissed at me. :lol:

I have first editions of other books, but have not looked at what they are worth.

In addition to the ones I have, I also had a first edition of Death of a Salesman, but my mother sold it for a quarter when she was pissed at me. :lol:
Similar thing happened to me.
When I was younger I had a 1st edition of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It was called "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" then. I knew it would be worth money one day so kept it put away.
It would be worth between $4000 - $6000 today.
My 1st wife gave it to Salvation Army... didn't find out till months later and it was gone.
I was more than a little pissed.
My brothers and I had several boxes of old $.05 and $.10 comic books. My parents basement flooded and they were all ruined. Auuugh!!

Similar thing happened to me.
When I was younger I had a 1st edition of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It was called "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" then. I knew it would be worth money one day so kept it put away.
It would be worth between $4000 - $6000 today.
My 1st wife gave it to Salvation Army... didn't find out till months later and it was gone.
I was more than a little pissed.
My brothers and I had several boxes of old $.05 and $.10 comic books. My parents basement flooded and they were all ruined. Auuugh!!
One of the first editions I have is the first issue of the Archie comic. I got it for a dime at a yard sale. I didn't realize its value until months later.

It's amazing what treasures you can find at an estate sale, too. The offspring have no idea what the old geezer had in his possession and just look at all as trash.

I keep dreaming and hoping I will come across a Curta calculator.

Forum List

Back