Presidential Rating Criteria Used By Historians. Where do You Put Obama?

WelfareQueen

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2013
Uranus
I have several books that are considered definitive in terms of rating the relative "greatness" of past Presidents. Historians are told to use the following criteria.

1. Leadership Ability.

2. Accomplishments.

3. Crisis Management.

4. Character and Integrity.

5. Political Skill.

6. Appointments.

Okay folks...you have the criteria. So what do you think? Where does Obama rank?

There are two things I rate him down very low on. Obamacare (because we simply cannot afford it and I get ill thinking about a government flunky deciding my health coverage) and race relations. In regards to race relations, I don't blame him for what is going on, but I do think he has damaged race relations. I had hoped his Presidency would improve relations, but I should have known that Washington Republicans would never have allowed that to happen.

For the most part except for those two items, I can't really think of anything that makes me think he was any better or any worse than any other President. They all had their good and their bad. I suppose if it were not for Obamacare, I would rate him kind of high, but I will never get over the Obamacare fiasco, unless I am completely proven wrong, which I do not foresee happening.

Immie

Last edited:
Somewhere in the middle. 50 years from now his presidency will be remembered as pretty vanilla.

Imo Obamacare will define his legacy. It depends on how that turns out.

You could be right, although I think his political appointments will hurt him (Eric Holder anyone?) and the character and integrity issue will hurt him ("I never used a red line." Obama care won't raise the deficit "one thin dime." "You can keep your doctor.") and about a thousand others.

But you're right, if Obamacare is a big success it could go a long way to helping his legacy. Only time will tell.

There are two things I rate him down very low on. Obamacare (because we simply cannot afford it and I get ill thinking about a government flunky deciding my health coverage) and race relations. In regards to race relations, I don't blame him for what is going on, but I do think he has damaged race relations. I had hoped his Presidency would improve relations, but I should have known that Washington Republicans would never have allowed that to happen.

For the most part except for those two items, I can't really think of anything that makes me think he was any better or any worse than other President. They all had their good and their bad. I suppose if it were not for Obamacare, I would rate him kind of high, but I will never get over the Obamacare fiasco, unless I am completely proven wrong, which I do not foresee happening.

Immie

I don't fault him on race relations because, regardless of whoever happened to be the 1st black President, it was going to polarize the radicals; and unfortunately those are the most vocal people on the issue.

As for what I fault him on? Not reaching across the aisle like his platform said he would, and continuing to interfere in the middle east where there are never any winners.

His presidency is in shambles...or it will be after he embarrasses himself on Tuesday by advocating a dangerous adventure which the American people have already rejected...finally done in by the deadly combination of arrogance, incompetency and incurable duplicity.

Kind of sad, actually.

For the most part except for those two items, I can't really think of anything that makes me think he was any better or any worse than other President. They all had their good and their bad. I suppose if it were not for Obamacare, I would rate him kind of high, but I will never get over the Obamacare fiasco, unless I am completely proven wrong, which I do not foresee happening.

Immie

I don't fault him on race relations because, regardless of whoever happened to be the 1st black President, it was going to polarize the radicals; and unfortunately those are the most vocal people on the issue.

As for what I fault him on? Not reaching across the aisle like his platform said he would, and continuing to interfere in the middle east where there are never any winners.
.....................................................................................................

I fault him about race relations. He was uniquely in a position to advance black America and unite them with white America.

He campaigned on "Yes, you can"--an inspirational message. He was the perfect person to give that speech..as the first black President...to give that speech to black majority junior high schools all over the country...and inspire them and give them hope like no other President could have...to remove the scars from past mistreatment. It could have made a real difference.

But, the good from such a message, coming from the first black President... would not have been realized in time for these youths to vote for him...so he played golf instead and fomented racial grievance politics.

Immie

.....................................................................................................

I fault him about race relations. He was uniquely in a position to advance black America and unite them with white America.

He campaigned on "Yes, you can"--an inspirational message. He was the perfect person to give that speech..as the first black President...to give that speech to black majority junior high schools all over the country...and inspire them and give them hope like no other President could have...to remove the scars from past mistreatment. It could have made a real difference.

But, the good from such a message, coming from the first black President... would not have been realized in time for these youths to vote for him...so he played golf instead and fomented racial grievance politics.

He gave them hope by becoming President. What about the first Hispanic President? Will you fault him for not giving a disproportionate amount of attention to Hispanics? I guess his other job's not that important :cool:

And I can think of exactly one instance where he commented on something that might count as "fomenting racial grievance politics." And I don't think it was that big of a deal except for the way that Republicans ran with it.

Last edited:
Obama

1. Leadership Ability.

F

2. Accomplishments.

Downgraded Credit, Turned us toward proven economic failure, killed kids with drones

F

3. Crisis Management.

LOL

F

Seriously?

5. Political Skill.

A+ Then again Dems are a hive minded Collective

6. Appointments.

He's always late for appointments

F

Obama

1. Leadership Ability.

F

2. Accomplishments.

Downgraded Credit, Turned us toward proven economic failure, killed kids with drones

F

3. Crisis Management.

LOL

F

Seriously?

5. Political Skill.

A+ Then again Dems are a hive minded Collective

6. Appointments.

He's always late for appointments

F

Oh you could've done better than that. You need to really delve into your character next time! Really embrace and exclaim that GOP narrative!

I have several books that are considered definitive in terms of rating the relative "greatness" of past Presidents. Historians are told to use the following criteria.

1. Leadership Ability.

2. Accomplishments.

3. Crisis Management.

5. Political Skill.

6. Appointments.

Okay folks...you have the criteria. So what do you think? Where does Obama rank?

Mark Aug. 31, 2013, on your calendar as the day on which Barack Obama passed James Earl Carter in the pantheon of hapless presidents and set out for parts yet unknown.

September was always going to be a bad month for this president, as the run-up to the Oct. 1 date to open exchanges in Obama’s historic and hopeless health care achievement was bound to be full of unpleasant surprises.

But whoever dreamed that his foreign policy, so far as he has one, would implode at just the same time? Clearly, he never meant to do a thing about Syria, but his careless words about red lines came back to bite him, and he had to do something — or did he?

more: It's deja vu le malaise with Obama | WashingtonExaminer.com

Weakest president of the modern era.

Google "weak president" just for fun.

I found the FIRST entry NOT referencing Obama on page five of the results.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wea...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

5 pages of links to the same Assad and Putin quotes.

WeakObama_zps7f1bdde6.png

Last edited:

He gave them hope by becoming President. What about the first Hispanic President? Will you fault him for not giving a disproportionate amount of attention to Hispanics? I guess his other job's not that important :cool:

And I can think of exactly one instance where he commented on something that might count as "fomenting racial grievance politics." And I don't think it was that big of a deal except for the way that Republicans ran with it.

The police acted stupidly.
If I had a son.
My grandmother is a typical white woman.

There are more but which one single instance do you think was the big one?

I didn't want him to spend a disproportionate amount of time.

I wanted to see a post racial America, instead the Obama presidency has made things far worse.

We are more racially divided today than we were pre-2008.

Forum List

Back