President Trumps CPAC speech..... *vid*

It’s sounding like you’re starting to agree with President Trump, Coyote.

Are you good with me loving you more than I already do? :)

I don't think Trump and I agree on how immigration should be changed....just sayin'
That's something we can talk more about when I have more time. :)

Perhaps :lol:
I have a little time now, Coyote.

Should we start with what you disagree with? :)
His view on immigrants as snakes for a start.

It’s sounding like you’re starting to agree with President Trump, Coyote.

Are you good with me loving you more than I already do? :)

I don't think Trump and I agree on how immigration should be changed....just sayin'

The snake story wasn’t about legal immigrants. He was referring to those who are illegally crossing our open borders to bring drugs and crime into our country.

President Trump doesn’t have anything against legal immigration. Like me, he welcomes them with open arms.

:)

The snake story wasn’t about legal immigrants. He was referring to those who are illegally crossing our open borders to bring drugs and crime into our country.

President Trump doesn’t have anything against legal immigration. Like me, he welcomes them with open arms.

No...I don't think he was just talking about illegal immigration. In fact when you read his speech, what he was saying - it's pretty horrifying. NOT, because of what he is claiming is happening, but because he is demonizing, bringing down public hatred and anger on the heads of millions of largely innocent people.

Here is what he said about immigrants: "The Snake": Donald Trump brings back his favorite anti-immigrant fable at CPAC

MS-13 are hiding out in sanctuary cities and they’re coming for you and want to kill you. “These are animals. They cut people. They cut them. They cut them up in little pieces, and they want them to suffer. And we take them into our country.”

MS-13 is not hiding out in sanctuary cities. MS-13 has been in this country since the early 70's - it's a well established gang. In addition - it isn't Mexican, it's El Salvadoran in origin. But Trump is focused on fear mongering - they are coming to kill you!!!!! In HORRIBLE ways!!!!!!

Countries are sending bad people to the US vis the diversity visa lottery and they want to kill you. “We pick out people. Then they turn out to be horrendous. And we don’t understand why. They’re not giving us their best people, folks [...] I don’t want people who drive a car at 100 miles an hour down the West Side Highway, and kill eight innocent victims and destroy the lives of 14 more. ”

This one is even MORE convulated and dangerously wrong. Again - demonizing and fear mongering. When it comes to immigration, countries aren't "sending" us people - people are leaving countries - fleeing for their lives in some cases, looking for economic improvement in others. In this bit - he seems to be talking about legal immigrants or perhaps conflating the two. The diversity visa lottery - whether you like the idea or not - is not the problem he portrays it to be.

How does the Diversity Visa Lottery work? Well...again, Trump seems to lack a clue.
To qualify for the Diversity Visa Lottery Program, you must live in a qualifying country. You must also meet either a training requirement or an education requirement. If you have two years of training or work experience or a high school education you may meet this requirement in most fields of work. The USCIS website has a detailed list of eligibility requirements as well as more details about the program. In fact - of all the thousands who came over in that program, only two seem to have been implicated in a violent crime. So where does his claim stand that the "best folks" aren't coming? It seems to have little basis in reality given that legal immigrants (which is what the Visa Lottery is) - have substantially lower crime rates than native born Americans.

Border Patrol and ICE agents have to be absolutely ruthless because they’re the only line of defense against people who want to kill you. “All they understand is toughness,” Trump said of MS-13, and “we have the toughest guys you’ve ever seen. We got tough. They don’t respect anything else.”
His last line bit here is the worst - implying that all these immigrants are out to kill you. Even if you are talking about illegal immigrants alone - it's false. Most are here to just try to live and make something better for their families. You may agree, disagree, deport but for God's sakes there is no need to demonize them in this way and encourage vigilanteism and violence against them.

Do you think we should be allowing people to illegally cross our border, Coyote?

No, we need to have a working legal immigration system, decent border control and humane treatment of non-criminal illegal immigrants who get caught.

No...I don't think he was just talking about illegal immigration. In fact when you read his speech, what he was saying - it's pretty horrifying. NOT, because of what he is claiming is happening, but because he is demonizing, bringing down public hatred and anger on the heads of millions of largely innocent people.

Here is what he said about immigrants: "The Snake": Donald Trump brings back his favorite anti-immigrant fable at CPAC

MS-13 are hiding out in sanctuary cities and they’re coming for you and want to kill you. “These are animals. They cut people. They cut them. They cut them up in little pieces, and they want them to suffer. And we take them into our country.”

MS-13 is not hiding out in sanctuary cities. MS-13 has been in this country since the early 70's - it's a well established gang. In addition - it isn't Mexican, it's El Salvadoran in origin. But Trump is focused on fear mongering - they are coming to kill you!!!!! In HORRIBLE ways!!!!!!

Countries are sending bad people to the US vis the diversity visa lottery and they want to kill you. “We pick out people. Then they turn out to be horrendous. And we don’t understand why. They’re not giving us their best people, folks [...] I don’t want people who drive a car at 100 miles an hour down the West Side Highway, and kill eight innocent victims and destroy the lives of 14 more. ”

This one is even MORE convulated and dangerously wrong. Again - demonizing and fear mongering. When it comes to immigration, countries aren't "sending" us people - people are leaving countries - fleeing for their lives in some cases, looking for economic improvement in others. In this bit - he seems to be talking about legal immigrants or perhaps conflating the two. The diversity visa lottery - whether you like the idea or not - is not the problem he portrays it to be.

How does the Diversity Visa Lottery work? Well...again, Trump seems to lack a clue.
To qualify for the Diversity Visa Lottery Program, you must live in a qualifying country. You must also meet either a training requirement or an education requirement. If you have two years of training or work experience or a high school education you may meet this requirement in most fields of work. The USCIS website has a detailed list of eligibility requirements as well as more details about the program. In fact - of all the thousands who came over in that program, only two seem to have been implicated in a violent crime. So where does his claim stand that the "best folks" aren't coming? It seems to have little basis in reality given that legal immigrants (which is what the Visa Lottery is) - have substantially lower crime rates than native born Americans.

Border Patrol and ICE agents have to be absolutely ruthless because they’re the only line of defense against people who want to kill you. “All they understand is toughness,” Trump said of MS-13, and “we have the toughest guys you’ve ever seen. We got tough. They don’t respect anything else.”
His last line bit here is the worst - implying that all these immigrants are out to kill you. Even if you are talking about illegal immigrants alone - it's false. Most are here to just try to live and make something better for their families. You may agree, disagree, deport but for God's sakes there is no need to demonize them in this way and encourage vigilanteism and violence against them.
How can you not demonize those who have illegally crossed our borders and committed atrocities that have crushed many families?

Again; there is a huge difference between being here legally and illegally.

You seem to be supporting both, Coyote.
Are you sure that’s a stance you wanna take?

How can you not demonize those who have illegally crossed our borders and committed atrocities that have crushed many families?

Because what they did has little to do with whether they are here legally or illegally. Illegal immigrants aren't uniquely violent, murderious or anything else. Why do you need to demonize them all for the acts of a few? Deal with the criminals in accordance with our laws - but don't claim they are all out there trying to kill Americans. That's false.

No, I don't support illegal immigration - but I also don't take an extreme position against it - I'm not going to demonize and ENCOURAGE violence against a bunch of largely innocent people who's main crime is entering the country illegally.

I support a comprehensive bipartisan immigration reform and without it there is no lasting solution to the illegal immigration problem- I support good modern border security (not a wall). I think illegals convicted of violent crimes should be rapidly adjudicated and deported. I do not support punishing children for what their parents did so I very much support DACA. I also think there needs to be a humanitarian component in the deportation process so as not to tear families apart if they haven't committed other crimes.

about

Because what they did has little to do with whether they are here legally or illegally. Illegal immigrants aren't uniquely violent, murderious or anything else. Why do you need to demonize them all for the acts of a few? Deal with the criminals in accordance with our laws - but don't claim they are all out there trying to kill Americans. That's false.

No, I don't support illegal immigration - but I also don't take an extreme position against it - I'm not going to demonize and ENCOURAGE violence against a bunch of largely innocent people who's main crime is entering the country illegally.

I support a comprehensive bipartisan immigration reform and without it there is no lasting solution to the illegal immigration problem- I support good modern border security (not a wall). I think illegals convicted of violent crimes should be rapidly adjudicated and deported. I do not support punishing children for what their parents did so I very much support DACA. I also think there needs to be a humanitarian component in the deportation process so as not to tear families apart if they haven't committed other crimes.
I can respect you for being a nice person. I'm often told I'm a nice person for doing the many things I do for others.

That said; I have my limits. I stopped thinking about open borders being a kind gesture after learning about the problems it was creating. Learning about the murders, drugs. kidnappings, human trafficking, etc..... was enough for me.

I'm now only good with people coming here legally.

How are you able to ignore those problems, Coyote?

Last edited:

I can respect you for being a nice person. I'm often told I'm a nice person for doing the many things I do for others.

That said; I have my limits. I stopped thinking open borders was a kind gesture after learning about the problems it was creating. Learning about the murders, drugs. kidnappings, human trafficking, etc..... was enough for me.

See, I don't view it in the extremes that you do: either open borders or walls and gun towers. There is a lot of room in the middle for a sane policy.

I also don't view illegal immigration as our nation's top problem - in a long list of things, it doesn't rate that high on my list of concerns though I would like to see serious immigration reform rather than bandaid solutions.

Murders, drugs, kidnappings, and human trafficking - that is all part of border security which I support. We have a lot of modern high tech means of securing the border - we should invest in it, and invest in well trained manpower.

A comprehensive immigration reform is the only real solution. You provide legal work permits to those who simply want to come over to work, not become citizens and for whom there are jobs (example agricutlural workers). That is the bulk of those trying to come over illegally. That also gives us some control over who is here and whether there is a criminal connection. Then you could focus your resources better on the serious problems as you mentioned.

That said; I have my limits. I stopped thinking open borders was a kind gesture after learning about the problems it was creating. Learning about the murders, drugs. kidnappings, human trafficking, etc..... was enough for me.

See, I don't view it in the extremes that you do: either open borders or walls and gun towers. There is a lot of room in the middle for a sane policy.

I also don't view illegal immigration as our nation's top problem - in a long list of things, it doesn't rate that high on my list of concerns though I would like to see serious immigration reform rather than bandaid solutions.

Murders, drugs, kidnappings, and human trafficking - that is all part of border security which I support. We have a lot of modern high tech means of securing the border - we should invest in it, and invest in well trained manpower.

A comprehensive immigration reform is the only real solution. You provide legal work permits to those who simply want to come over to work, not become citizens and for whom there are jobs (example agricutlural workers). That is the bulk of those trying to come over illegally. That also gives us some control over who is here and whether there is a criminal connection. Then you could focus your resources better on the serious problems as you mentioned.
Sooo....you're good with securing our borders? :)

Sooo....you're good with securing our borders?

Sure, just not a wall.

Sure, just not a wall.
:laugh:

Why shouldn't we take an approach that's been proven to be effective?

Sure, just not a wall.

Why shouldn't take an approach that's been proven to be effective?

Because walls come with their own sets of problems. They prevent the natural migrations of a lot of wildlife for example, they split border towns and communities and inhibit local trade.

There was a celebration when the Berlin wall went down...I don't think there was one when it went up ;)

Sure, just not a wall.

Why shouldn't take an approach that's been proven to be effective?

Because walls come with their own sets of problems. They prevent the natural migrations of a lot of wildlife for example, they split border towns and communities and inhibit local trade.

There was a celebration when the Berlin wall went down...I don't think there was one when it went up ;)
How can you compare the Berlin wall to the one needed to protect American lives? :)

Forum List

Back