Prepping

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
The first Ebola case in the USA at the beginning of what is likely the final Shemitah* for the USA had me, and probably others, thinking about preparing for a time when the conveniences of modern life all vanished: electricity, food, drinking water, etc.

For the past year now I've had a recurring dream where I'm in the local supermarket and suddenly a panicked throng of people invade the supermarket and wipe the shelves clean. It's not to difficult to imagine that Patient Zero landing in Dallas was perhaps one final warning to me to be prepared.

I started stockpiling some goods for the past year and went into overdrive this weekend and will continue to do so for the next several weeks. Then this morning I realized, I'm probably doing it wrong. The reality is I will not likely survive whatever calamity awaits us. Best bet is to be practical, for sure, but spend my timing making peace with myself and my maker.

I had a wonderful idea for a science fiction novel called "Venus in the Balance" it cracks me up and I keep adding to the outline. maybe I'm supposed to finish that in the next few months? Or maybe I should continue painting. I've gotten to the point where I'm comfortable and not embarrassed to be in front of a canvas. Or maybe I'm supposed to continue to poke fun at the Intellectual flyweights who call themselves "Progressives. Or maybe all of the above.

I keep asking God if I'm doing the right thing and I think I hear him chuckling in response.

* Shemitah. "As soon as the Jews settled in the Holy Land,1 they began to count and observe seven-year cycles. Every cycle would culminate in a Sabbatical year,2 known as Shemittah,3 literally: “to release.”

The year following the destruction of the second Holy Temple was the first year of a seven-year Sabbatical cycle. In the Jewish calendar, counting from Creation, this was the year 3829, 68–69 CE on the secular calendar. By counting sevens from then, we see that the next Shemittah year will be the year 5775 after Creation, which runs from Sept. 25, 2014, through Sept. 13, 2015."

What Is Shemittah - The Sabbatical Year basics absolution of loans desisting from all field work and the spiritual objective of all the above. - Shemittah

2000-2001 Stock market crash, then 9/11

2007-2008 worst recession since the FDR Depression

2014 opened with the first ever case of a Level IV Slate Cleaning pathogen in a major US Metropolis

"I had a wonderful idea for a science fiction novel called "Venus in the Balance" it cracks me up and I keep adding to the outline."

Do it!!

http://www.wilshirebc.org/give/online-contributions/

Ebola Patient’s Girlfriend Overwhelmed by Quarantine
By Harry R. Weber Oct 5, 2014 12:56 PM ET

Photographer: Joe Raedle/Getty Images
A hazmat team member arrives to clean a unit at the Ivy Apartments, where the confirmed... Read More

Louise Troh has suffered loss before, leaving her Liberian homeland for the U.S. a decade ago, and then losing a child during childbirth, her pastor said."

Prayers for Duncan, Troh, their family and friends

CrusaderFrank - You better buy some more guns. :rolleyes-41:

Seriously, I'm all in favor of "being prepared" and I am but you RWs are running around screeching that the sky is falling.

Do yourself a favor and turn off Rush and fox.

People should keep extra essentials on hand and rotate their stock. It makes sense just for things like having a shortage of cash, a storm/blizzard, etc. I stock up on some things when they are on sale, and if I haven't used them up in 6-8 months, I will donate them to a food pantry if it is not something I expect to use within the next 6 months. For instance--soup. I will stock up going into fall, but if I haven't used it by Spring, I will donate it..

Forum List

Back