Potshots fired at Sen. Clinton

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Analysts say books try to derail possible presidential run
By Beth Fouhy
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
For someone who insists she has no political ambition beyond her re-election campaign this year, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton has certainly attracted the attention of a lot of conservative authors offering new books aiming to slow her path to the White House.
Clinton has been the focus of some 40 tomes already — mostly conservative, with titles like "American Evita" and "The Hillary Trap." And while most of those collected their material from her eight years as first lady, the latest batch is being marketed with an eye to the presidential election in 2008.
Publishers' interest in Clinton is part political, part economic: Several books about the New York Democrat have become best sellers, and her own memoir, "Living History," has sold more than 3 million copies since its release in 2003. However, the assumption that she will run for president has invigorated a market that seems already saturated with Clinton titles.
"There's a market interest in her, and the fact that she's positioning herself to run for the presidency really fuels that," said Eric Jackson, president of conservative World Ahead Publishing Inc.
World Ahead just released a biting collection of Clinton quotes — the authenticity of some vehemently disputed — titled "I've Always Been a Yankees Fan: Hillary Clinton in Her Own Words." The company also is publishing a children's Christmas book showing her as a grinch.
It's too soon to say if any of the new titles will reach beyond the long-established audience of Clinton critics, but analysts say they offer fresh material to conservative media outlets and others eager to derail a potential presidential candidacy. "They may be preaching to the choir, but the choir needs ammunition. And these books are ammo dumps," said Dick Morris, an erstwhile Clinton adviser who has long since turned against the senator and her husband.
Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines declined to comment on any of the new titles, suggesting that interested readers sample the books Clinton has written herself. "For those who are truly interested in reading her own words on many important issues, there are no better books than 'It Takes a Village' and 'Living History,' " Reines said.
For New York Post columnist John Podhoretz, the idea for his book came when he realized that many conservatives just assumed Clinton couldn't win a presidential election.
"The more I thought about it, the crazier it was to presume this famous person with a colossal amount of money on hand, leading every poll, couldn't win," said Podhoretz, whose book, "Can She Be Stopped?" is published by Crown Forum, a conservative imprint of Random House.
Podhoretz lays out a 10-point plan for Republicans to follow if they hope to defeat her. Among his recommendations: Remind voters of her calamitous attempt in 1993 to overhaul the nation's health-care system, and nominate a Republican opponent who's not part of the Washington bubble — preferably former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani.
Podhoretz gets personal at times and tosses in references to Monica Lewinsky. But he insists his opposition to Clinton is political, not personal, and warns conservatives they are "demented" if they believe she can't win.
"She's serious, intelligent, a very good politician, and she's learned a lot in the Senate," Podhoretz said. "She's also one of the 10 or 15 most famous people on the planet, which gives her a transcendent, rock star quality." ;)
To assemble "I've Always Been a Yankees Fan," author Thomas Kuiper spent five years collecting quotes that depict Clinton as dishonest, manipulative and profane.
The title, based on her declaration of baseball team loyalty during her 2000 New York Senate campaign, is paired with a cover photo of Clinton proudly sporting a Chicago Cubs hat. Clinton has long said the Yankees were her favorite American League team, while her hometown Cubs hail from the National League.
The book has been criticized for its use of questionably sourced quotes and inclusion of several that appear in other anti-Clinton books but don't come directly from the senator herself.
http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/printDS/130778
Like, Really my life just wouldn't exist if I knew all this........... Like how could those big bad conservatives write this, like about the Senator Hilly Rodem,Clinton.... it's gotta be like a right wing conspiracy.. Like get real.......:teeth:

Like it's a Saturday night, and like I was bored......:laugh:

Forum List

Back