Pope bans homosexuals from ordination as priests

MissileMan said:
That's a good question. Perhaps the kids are just targets of opportunity. Men are men, and denied sex, strange things can happen. Look what's going on in prisons. Maybe it's time for the Church to reconsider allowing priests to marry.

they could just sex up the nun gear...... :alco: ..... :flameth:

MissileMan said:
That's a good question. Perhaps the kids are just targets of opportunity. Men are men, and denied sex, strange things can happen. Look what's going on in prisons. Maybe it's time for the Church to reconsider allowing priests to marry.

Most priests do just fine without sex becasue it is their calling, however it just may be that those who can't have no business being priests in the first place... Besides marriage wouldn't work in the church as it doesn't recognize divorce and this would open a huge can of worms having priests doing other preists anullments. Deacons have much of the same responsibilities as priests and they can and are married so there are options.

It's not a great case to make that pedaphiles wouldn't be that way if they were allowed to marry.

Where was the fact lost that unless somebody acts on their desires/perversions, they are 'not' homosexuals. A homosexual IS as a homosexual DOES

Powerman said:
That was their stance. It may sound silly to you but that's what catholics believed prior to this ruling. No one cared if you were gay as long as you weren't practicing your gayness. Since priests aren't supposed to be sexaully active anyway then what is the difference if they can actually hold up to their end on the chastity thing. And by the way the Catholic church believes it is also a sin to have lustful thoughts about the opposite sex. So if they really wanted to be fair they should just castrate all people that they want to be priests to insure that none of them have impure thoughts. Afterall what do they need reproductive organs for anyway?

well I must say this was original in thought...however I do believe "Free Will" comes into play here! If you took away the temptation what good would "Free Will" be? Geez God may as well make us all angels...and forget about showing us the path and tie us to a line that pulls us to the end destination! :rolleyes:

Bonnie said:
Most priests do just fine without sex becasue it is their calling, however it just may be that those who can't have no business being priests in the first place... Besides marriage wouldn't work in the church as it doesn't recognize divorce and this would open a huge can of worms having priests doing other preists anullments. Deacons have much of the same responsibilities as priests and they can and are married so there are options.

It's not a great case to make that pedaphiles wouldn't be that way if they were allowed to marry.

Marriage of priests worked in the Church prior to about 1000AD. Peter, who was supposedly the first Pope, was married. The Priests in the old testament were married. I don't think allowing the priests to marry would be that big a deal. but then im not catholic and I dont get any say, but there is plenty of precedant for it.

Marriage of priests worked in the Church prior to about 1000AD. Peter, who was supposedly the first Pope, was married. The Priests in the old testament were married. I don't think allowing the priests to marry would be that big a deal. but then im not catholic and I dont get any say, but there is plenty of precedant for it.

I am a Catholic and I think the Church should go back to old times and let Priests marry...maybe then I would go back and practice my faith as they would be making a change for the better!

I don't see it happening for a few reasons, one they are suposed to be married to their church and their parishoners, and in the Catholic church marriage comes first and is a holy sacrement, so a married priest would be a distraction to both his marriage and his church. Just like nuns preists are married to God. In the bible Jesus asked the Disciples in the New Testament to leave their families and wives in orde to devote their lives to spreading the gospel, so this is the model that was and is being used since. Second the church does not recognize divorce only anullment which is a lengthy process that essentially disloves the marriage by concluding the marriage never happened the way it should have in the eyes of God either because one or both parties were insincere in keeping their marriage vows, so to have preists going thru this process would again dilute the church and be a huge distraction from the church itself.
None of us laypeople will ever really know what the very learned holy people in Rome who pour over religious doctrine daily and make desisions very slowly know, and it would be silly for me to second guess that so unless the Pope changes that law I have no problem with things the way they are now and have been for the last 1000 or so years.

I realize it's a very different mindset than other Christian faiths, which is why probably so many out there think "what's the big deal already just let em marry, and let women be preists" etc

Bonnie said:
I don't see it happening for a few reasons, one they are suposed to be married to their church and their parishoners, and in the Catholic church marriage comes first and is a holy sacrement, so a married priest would be a distraction to both his marriage and his church. Just like nuns preists are married to God. In the bible Jesus asked the Disciples in the New Testament to leave their families and wives in orde to devote their lives to spreading the gospel, so this is the model that was and is being used since. Second the church does not recognize divorce only anullment which is a lengthy process that essentially disloves the marriage by concluding the marriage never happened the way it should have in the eyes of God either because one or both parties were insincere in keeping their marriage vows, so to have preists going thru this process would again dilute the church and be a huge distraction from the church itself.
None of us laypeople will ever really know what the very learned holy people in Rome who pour over religious doctrine daily and make desisions very slowly know, and it would be silly for me to second guess that so unless the Pope changes that law I have no problem with things the way they are now and have been for the last 1000 or so years.

I realize it's a very different mindset than other Christian faiths, which is why probably so many out there think "what's the big deal already just let em marry, and let women be preists" etc

The Catholic Church accepts married priests. They have extended an invitation to any Anglican or Episcopal priest who would like to rejoin the mother church. And they can bring their wives and kids with them.

I wonder why that's OK but just being a married Catholic priest is not. Anyone know?

Nuc said:
The Catholic Church accepts married priests. They have extended an invitation to any Anglican or Episcopal priest who would like to rejoin the mother church. And they can bring their wives and kids with them.

I wonder why that's OK but just being a married Catholic priest is not. Anyone know?

was this posted on the Vatican site...not being a smartass....just curious! ;)

archangel said:
was this posted on the Vatican site...not being a smartass....just curious! ;)

Looks like it's the American Catholic church that's allowing it:

http://www.sspx.ca/Angelus/1980_September/Search_of_Tradition.htm

As this issue of THE ANGELUS goes to press, Archbishop John Quinn, President of the National Council of Catholic Bishops, has just announced that several Episcopalian ministers seeking to convert to Catholicism will be allowed to do so and remain in their married state. This unprecedented change in Roman Church tradition came as a shock to Catholics and Episcopalians, alike!

Prompted by the fact that the U.S. Episcopal Church now ordains women priests, at least 65 ministers have sought to become Roman Catholic priests. Of these 65, many are married and according to Archbishop Quinn can remain so. Although not very clearly detailed as yet, the ministers will come into the Church on a case-by-case basis with the final approval resting with the Vatican.

Nuc said:

That was a very recent decision. Deacons can be married and in my church we have three Deacons that are married and essentially do almost everything a preist does except hear confession, and bless the host.

Nuc said:

As this issue of THE ANGELUS goes to press, Archbishop John Quinn, President of the National Council of Catholic Bishops, has just announced that several Episcopalian ministers seeking to convert to Catholicism will be allowed to do so and remain in their married state. This unprecedented change in Roman Church tradition came as a shock to Catholics and Episcopalians, alike!

Prompted by the fact that the U.S. Episcopal Church now ordains women priests, at least 65 ministers have sought to become Roman Catholic priests. Of these 65, many are married and according to Archbishop Quinn can remain so. Although not very clearly detailed as yet, the ministers will come into the Church on a case-by-case basis with the final approval resting with the Vatican.

makes sense then...if a Archbishop approved it it must have been approved by the Vatican...they take their orders directly from Rome!

Nuc said:

Mainly because they are already married and the church would never tell them to divorce. But if the Pope okays this then it's good enough for me. The church needs more good priests and this would be a great way to have that happen.

Bonnie said:
Mainly because they are already married and the church would never tell them to divorce. But if the Pope okays this then it's good enough for me. The church needs more good priests and this would be a great way to have that happen.

But the question remains why are these priests acceptable, but not life long Catholics?

What's to stop a Catholic from converting to Episcopal long enough to be ordained, get married, and then revert to Catholicism? If they went through this process apparently they would be accepted, but not if they remained Catholic. I know this is convoluted but.........
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Nuc said:
But the question remains why are these priests acceptable, but not life long Catholics?

What's to stop a Catholic from converting to Episcopal long enough to be ordained, get married, and then revert to Catholicism? If they went through this process apparently they would be accepted, but not if they remained Catholic. I know this is convoluted but.........
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

I suspect that cases in which that did happen might be grounds for non acceptance.. According to the article you posted they mentioned each case would be looked at and approved by the archdiocese.

Forum List

Back