Pop or Soda?

• Pop

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Soda

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • I'm gay

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
The best part is that right on the fucking labels of the drink containers, it says "Soda".

Just about on every damn one you'll find.

Is that so... hmmmm... so I'm sitting here looking at my can of Coca Cola, and ya know what, smarty pants? It does NOT say "soda" anywhere on it. Funny huh? I've got some Pepsi too, and ya know what? It doesn't say "soda" anywhere on a Pepsi either. So your claim kinda just got blown out of the water son.

And I can guarantee you that back in the day when we'd put a DIME in the CHEST COOLER for "pop" and slide out the bottle down the rails and use the built in bottle opener to open it, there wasn't anywhere on those bottles that said "soda" either. So you're just kind of found out to be full of sheep dung here pard.
That's because the major national retailers don't NEED to announce on the package what it is, it's universally understood. I imagine they also don't want to have to spend the money on different labels for different regions where people use different words for it, and offend someone possibly and possibly losing a sale.

Go grab a can of your local generic brand 20 cent can of soda, and see what it says.

Let me get you started:

2378084359_74bcbf53b8.jpg

Now here's Wal-Mart's generic soda line:

3612149884_ec4a0356df.jpg

Here's another drink that's becoming quite popular these days...let's see what THEY'RE saying:

jones_soda.jpg

NOW...

I defy you to find me ANY proof with either an image or a link or whatever, to a drink company that puts "pop" on their packaging label.
soda-pop_2076_29862309

Ok, so one obscure company out of the plethora of just about all the OTHER ones that use "soda".

Got any others?

Ok, so one obscure company out of the plethora of just about all the OTHER ones that use "soda".

Got any others?

NOW...

I defy you to find me ANY proof with either an image or a link or whatever, to a drink company that puts "pop" on their packaging label.
You defied us. ANY proof.

You got what you asked for.
Ok, you win then. I set the 'absolute' standard and that was my downfall.

But the overwhelming majority use "soda" or nothing. That SAYS something.

And KWC, notice your pic still says "soda" as well :lol:

And KWC, being obscure was my main reason for saying those particular companies put "soda" on the label. The more nationally recognized you are, the less likely you are to have to label what it is at all. That's why all the big soda companies don't even say "soda" or "pop"

You already know. And they'd have to change labels for different regions to market properly. That's not something I'd want to have to be bothered with if I was Coke, for instance.

It's a regionnal idiosyncracy, not a sexual idiosyncracy. Around here It's always been pop, but in recent years the word coke has become almost a generic for a soft drink.

But Paulie, you seem to assign a lot of gay/not-gay sexual connotation to perfectly innocent terms (not that there's anything wrong with that!). As Freud is reputed to have said: "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." But as you said recently, "You're almost NEVER to take me seriously", and from that I conclude that you are a light hearted soul who is a little overly concerned with the "gayness" of things...hmmmh...

But here's a map that shows the inclination for preferences between the useages of the words 'pop', 'soda', 'coke', or others

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Above post made by a fellow Hoosier, who knows if you want a soda pop, you tell them you want a coke. :cool:
I am in the 80 to 100% range for my region using pop.:lol:

Soda, soda-pop, pop, cola, tonic, soft drink, coke...

Back in the day, drugstores (pharmacies or apothecaries) were small establishments and much as "gas stations" were then on about every corner. Pharmacies more commonly called "drugstores" were similarly located to attract customers needing things other than "drugs". Most drugstores had a "soda fountain" with stool seating along a counter for customers to sit and chat and imbibe a soft drink.

At the soda fountain a person could buy a drink composed of "soda" or carbonated water with syrup added to the soda water giving it a sugary-caramel taste. Coca Cola first offered a popular syrup. Eventually, to make the soda more interesting, other flavors were added, for instance a "cherry" syrup, making a "cherry coke." It would have been commonplace in drugstores to call a fountain drink just a "soda" or a "coke" but not a bottle of pop, or simply "pop."

So what about the etymology of the word "pop" as opposed to the others?
Here's my theory: In our own area of the country, as I mentioned at the start of the age of the automobile, filling or gas stations were ubiquitous. Besides gasoline, like the drugstore, they had other attractions for customers like candy or food sold over the counter or bottles of "pop" of different brands submerged in a cooler of ice. When the cap was removed to open the bottle, there was a small "pop" sound which was only common to carbonated drinks. This name, it seems, would probably have been more common to rural areas where drugstore soda fountains were seen less often.

It's interesting that those early filling stations or gas stations were usually a small square building, one room in size, with a roof that extended out over the front to shelter the single pump so that a car could be gassed up sheltered from the weather. Around here there are some of these ancient artifacts of the age still intact. The huge roofed stations we find on the interstates have returned to the early roofed model, versus the corner station of the last half of the 20th century which were not roofed over, making the circle complete, proving the efficacy of the earliest station's model.

Last edited:
And KWC, being obscure was my main reason for saying those particular companies put "soda" on the label. The more nationally recognized you are, the less likely you are to have to label what it is at all. That's why all the big soda companies don't even say "soda" or "pop"

You already know. And they'd have to change labels for different regions to market properly. That's not something I'd want to have to be bothered with if I was Coke, for instance.

That's because the major labels manufacture what their industry refers to as "soft drinks".

View attachment 8545

Last edited:

That's because the major labels manufacture what their industry refers to as "soft drinks".

And it's almost GUANTANTEED to be because of the reason I gave, too.

It's neutral. It doesn't cost them lost buyers, and it doesn't cost them more in extra label printing.

I have guesses on who the one person is that actually chose "i'm gay" but if anyone wants to divulge that for humor's sake, please do. I don't know how to make these things public.

Forum List

Back