Poll: Percent of Christians drop, those identifying as "none" soars

What I believe is irrelevant. I will concede my personal beliefs are irrational. Will you do the same?
I'm trying hard to see it your way. I guess if you mean "how can I believe all this happened by itself? OK that does blow my mind. But I understand that. It blows everyones mind. Has for thousands of years. So I understand all the motivations people have for believing. So many please dont make me list them. I just thought of 5 tangents I could have gone on.

So you remind me of a lot of my friends who understand all organized religion are poop but you continue to believe in god.

I hate it because it may make you feel better and I would never want to ruin my brother or his kids faith but deep down I think it is a dumb thing to believe and that can't be good for people. It just can't. I could go off on why but I've told you all the reasons before.

I love finding athiests but I dont typically preach to theists on the street. This is my pulpit. Lol

No, that isn't what I mean at all. I don't care what you believe. You are as entitled to your blind guess as anyone else. I'm not questioning it or disputing it. I'm not saying it is wrong nor am I asking you to justify it. You don't have to justify it. I am not interested in an argument between people who have not the foggiest idea of what they are talking about, which is what we would have if you and I argued beliefs.

What I am saying, and all I am saying, is that your position is a belief. No different than any other belief. It is not superior or inferior to any other belief because it is based upon precisely the same information - none at all. You can't have a rational conclusion on the subject because you have no evidence upon which to base such a conclusion. No one can. The only rational conclusion which can be reached with the available information is "we don't know". Any other conclusion, including saying one answer is more likely than another answer, is nothing but belief and therefore irrational.

Mind you, human beings are irrational. There is nothing wrong with being irrational. But at least recognize it for what it is.
Your belief that such entities as Nessie, Invisible Pink Unicorns, Leprechauns, etc., are likely true as not is fine. However, in the rational world, we are able to reach rational conclusions about the "we don't know" mentality. It actually is possible to make rational assessments and to draw rational conclusions about those who suggest a nature gone awry, supernatural phenomenon and absurdities of nature that can't be defended.
>>>>>>>>>>>
The only time my/our alleged irrational beliefs should be called out is if "we" are treating others unfairly. I dont mean watering down or changing scripture like some of you want, Im talking about times when Christians really are being unfair and close minded. Otherwise...I dont see why you would need to convince anyone to come to "your" conclusions.
What you are describing isn't the diversity/equality you ( not you specifically) supposedly stand for.
We think the delusion is bad for society. Holding us back.

And you base that upon what?

Here is a hard fact. There is not and there never has been a single human society which has not had religion as a central aspect to it. Not one in our entire history. In all human societies you will find, without exception, government and religion. Name me one example of a species which developed such a universal behavior where that behavior was destructive to the species.

I'm trying hard to see it your way. I guess if you mean "how can I believe all this happened by itself? OK that does blow my mind. But I understand that. It blows everyones mind. Has for thousands of years. So I understand all the motivations people have for believing. So many please dont make me list them. I just thought of 5 tangents I could have gone on.

So you remind me of a lot of my friends who understand all organized religion are poop but you continue to believe in god.

I hate it because it may make you feel better and I would never want to ruin my brother or his kids faith but deep down I think it is a dumb thing to believe and that can't be good for people. It just can't. I could go off on why but I've told you all the reasons before.

I love finding athiests but I dont typically preach to theists on the street. This is my pulpit. Lol

No, that isn't what I mean at all. I don't care what you believe. You are as entitled to your blind guess as anyone else. I'm not questioning it or disputing it. I'm not saying it is wrong nor am I asking you to justify it. You don't have to justify it. I am not interested in an argument between people who have not the foggiest idea of what they are talking about, which is what we would have if you and I argued beliefs.

What I am saying, and all I am saying, is that your position is a belief. No different than any other belief. It is not superior or inferior to any other belief because it is based upon precisely the same information - none at all. You can't have a rational conclusion on the subject because you have no evidence upon which to base such a conclusion. No one can. The only rational conclusion which can be reached with the available information is "we don't know". Any other conclusion, including saying one answer is more likely than another answer, is nothing but belief and therefore irrational.

Mind you, human beings are irrational. There is nothing wrong with being irrational. But at least recognize it for what it is.
Your belief that such entities as Nessie, Invisible Pink Unicorns, Leprechauns, etc., are likely true as not is fine. However, in the rational world, we are able to reach rational conclusions about the "we don't know" mentality. It actually is possible to make rational assessments and to draw rational conclusions about those who suggest a nature gone awry, supernatural phenomenon and absurdities of nature that can't be defended.
>>>>>>>>>>>
The only time my/our alleged irrational beliefs should be called out is if "we" are treating others unfairly. I dont mean watering down or changing scripture like some of you want, Im talking about times when Christians really are being unfair and close minded. Otherwise...I dont see why you would need to convince anyone to come to "your" conclusions.
What you are describing isn't the diversity/equality you ( not you specifically) supposedly stand for.

Here is a hard fact. There is not and there never has been a single human society which has not had religion as a central aspect to it. Not one in our entire history. In all human societies you will find, without exception, government and religion. Name me one example of a species which developed such a universal behavior where that behavior was destructive to the species.
We are the only species on this one planet capable of such behavior.

So you dont see anything wrong with Islam or Scientology?

>>>>>>>>>>>

And wasps are the only species to build nests out of chewed up wood pulp, but that doesn't mean it is destructive to their species. My point is that it is a universal behavior and species do not develop universal behaviors if that behavior is not beneficial to the species. Whether you like the behavior or not is irrelevant to the hard facts. I thought we wanted to deal in rational conclusions. This is your opportunity. Give me a rational reason why our species would develop that behavior if it were destructive.

As to Islam and Scientology - no. I see nothing wrong with them.

Stop banning stem cell
nobody is banning stem cells.....we would go extinct if we tried that.....we just stop you from farming unborn children for body parts......that isn't restricted to religious people......anyone who has an iota of moral sense would do the same......

>>>>>>>>>>>

And wasps are the only species to build nests out of chewed up wood pulp, but that doesn't mean it is destructive to their species. My point is that it is a universal behavior and species do not develop universal behaviors if that behavior is not beneficial to the species. Whether you like the behavior or not is irrelevant to the hard facts. I thought we wanted to deal in rational conclusions. This is your opportunity. Give me a rational reason why our species would develop that behavior if it were destructive.

It wasn't destructive to begin with. People mourned their lost loveones and belief in heaven provided them comfort.

Its not destructive as much as its holding us back. The powers that be use it to control us.

It is also unnecessary now. Let's compare us believing to dogs barking. Dogs use to not bark so much. We bred them to bark. It was helpful. Today you get a ticket if your dog barks too much. So while it was beneficial before it is "destructive" now.

How is a believing in ghosts beneficial? How about doing drugs or smoking cigarettes? You dont see any negatives to Islam or Scientology?

or insisting this is a christian nation.
at the moment it really sucks......primarily thanks to folks just like you.....
Why does it suck? The economy is back and we are all free to say anything we want. What's wrong?

If you mean divorce and abortion you have a problem with realize most americans who are divorced got married in christian churches and most aborters believe in god.

>>>>>>>>>>>

We all like to bask in the sun. But not if its causing cancer.

The fact that our god stories are all so different tells me religion is cultural. Zeus, juju, mohammad mormons. And there are a lot of reasons modern humans of all shades believe or should I say want to believe. First of all word travels fast. Who knows who came up with it first. First the sun was god and we prayed every night it would return. Without it we got sleepy and some got dragged away at night by a wooly mammoth. So we prayed for the sun. Later it turned into son, of god.

Lots if benefits or draw to religion. Eternal salvation and forgiveness. And the community of it. I see there are lots of benefits.

Theres a reason its going away. For many of us there is no need and we ain't buying it.

I never understand why athiests or aborters or gays bother you guys. We never kill you for believing in god, for being straight or for not getting abortions.

>>>>>>>>>>>

It wasn't destructive to begin with. People mourned their lost loveones and belief in heaven provided them comfort.

Its not destructive as much as its holding us back. The powers that be use it to control us.

It is also unnecessary now. Let's compare us believing to dogs barking. Dogs use to not bark so much. We bred them to bark. It was helpful. Today you get a ticket if your dog barks too much. So while it was beneficial before it is "destructive" now.

How is a believing in ghosts beneficial? How about doing drugs or smoking cigarettes? You dont see any negatives to Islam or Scientology?

Ok. You didn't actually say it so before we move on, are you conceding religion has been a benefit to society? Otherwise, I'm still waiting for that rational reason.

>>>>>>>>>>>

We all like to bask in the sun. But not if its causing cancer.

The fact that our god stories are all so different tells me religion is cultural. Zeus, juju, mohammad mormons. And there are a lot of reasons modern humans of all shades believe or should I say want to believe. First of all word travels fast. Who knows who came up with it first. First the sun was god and we prayed every night it would return. Without it we got sleepy and some got dragged away at night by a wooly mammoth. So we prayed for the sun. Later it turned into son, of god.

Lots if benefits or draw to religion. Eternal salvation and forgiveness. And the community of it. I see there are lots of benefits.

Theres a reason its going away. For many of us there is no need and we ain't buying it.

I never understand why athiests or aborters or gays bother you guys. We never kill you for believing in god, for being straight or for not getting abortions.

The trappings of religion is cultural, but religion itself is not. No matter what the culture, what the point in history, where a society might be - religion is always present. No exceptions. That is hard fact, not opinion.

And I told you before, if you want to have a discussion with me then have it with me. Don't pretend I said things I never said. If you want to make up my side of the discussion you don't need me.

Why does it suck? The economy is back and we are all free to say anything we want. What's wrong?

If you mean divorce and abortion you have a problem with realize most americans who are divorced got married in christian churches and most aborters believe in god.
on the other hand the national debt is double what it was seven years ago, we kill a million unborn children a year and the guy you wanted as president has managed to turn the middle east from a two nation war into a seven nation war........as I said, thanks to folks like you.......

Ok. You didn't actually say it so before we move on, are you conceding religion has been a benefit to society? Otherwise, I'm still waiting for that rational reason.
Yes there are benefits. Makes you feel good. So do drugs.

on the other hand the national debt is double what it was seven years ago, we kill a million unborn children a year and the guy you wanted as president has managed to turn the middle east from a two nation war into a seven nation war........as I said, thanks to folks like you.......

The debt doubles on every president.

Maybe if bush didn't let all those corporations go overseas. No, he helped by giving them tax breaks. Imagine if all those companies were still in america. And imagine if we had all the tax break money we've given the rich and corporations. Maybe we could start paying down the debt.

I dont talk politics with people who believe things with no proof. This is why religion is bad. It keeps people stupid.

Feel good is about the individual. I am talking about the society. Whether you or I feel good makes no difference at all. Has religion been a benefit to society or has it not?

Feel good is about the individual. I am talking about the society. Whether you or I feel good makes no difference at all. Has religion been a benefit to society or has it not?
There are pros and con's.

You know what? You guys ask why we care? Now I'm starting to see what Neil degrass Tyson meant when he said he's too busy to care or even think about the silly notion of god. So many other better things to think about and discover. So I'm beginning to feel the same way. I dont care enough to even try to explain it to you if you dont get it by now. What's your point? I think we both get the benefits and motivations behind belief. Ignorant bliss.

And I found when I was a militant liberal my friends all argued with me. Now I say nothing and they now seem to be arguing my points.

Do you feel like the longer you argue with me the more progress you are making? You can keep making whatever point you are making it still doesnt prove a god exists

Do you feel like the longer you argue with me the more progress you are making? You can keep making whatever point you are making it still doesnt prove a god exists

No. I don't feel I made any progress at all because you can't seem to drop your fixation and actually pay attention to what I am saying. IOW, I can't get past your beliefs. I have never made even the slightest attempt at proving a god exists. I don't care if a god exists. There is nothing more irrelevant than whether or not a god exists. You are talking about gods and I am talking about beliefs.

No. I don't feel I made any progress at all because you can't seem to drop your fixation and actually pay attention to what I am saying. IOW, I can't get past your beliefs. I have never made even the slightest attempt at proving a god exists. I don't care if a god exists. There is nothing more irrelevant than whether or not a god exists. You are talking about gods and I am talking about beliefs.
OK then we agree. I dont know so my conclusion is just a Spock like rational conclusion.

OK then we agree. I dont know so my conclusion is just a Spock like rational conclusion.

Ok. If believing that makes you happy, who am I to burst your bubble.

Forum List

Back