What was a reason to pay Judas?

ESay

Gold Member
Mar 14, 2015
I know that Jesus was met by a big crowd when he was entering Jerusalem. Furthermore, the crowd was greeting him as a king. Considering that, it is impossible to believe that the authorities were unaware of Jesus coming and didn’t send their agents to observe the event. But despite that, they needed someone in the inner circle of Christ to show them who was Jesus. What for? They didn’t have even a single agent to spy on Christ beforehand?

The reason that Judas was paid 30 pieces of silver is because that was the going rate for people wanted by the Roman state. They didn't have police officers like we do now, and so if there was someone that was wanted (like what Jesus was), the standard procedure was to pay anyone that brought in a fugitive.

I know that Jesus was met by a big crowd when he was entering Jerusalem. Furthermore, the crowd was greeting him as a king. Considering that, it is impossible to believe that the authorities were unaware of Jesus coming and didn’t send their agents to observe the event. But despite that, they needed someone in the inner circle of Christ to show them who was Jesus. What for? They didn’t have even a single agent to spy on Christ beforehand?

The Romans were not NSA-merica and Judaea is not Germany. I guess the Germans today would give you Jesus for 3 silverlings and a golden tooth.

He entered Jerusalem wearing those glasses with the fake nose and mustache. :thup:

So, Jesus was a wanted fugitive of the Romans...What did the Romans want him for?

He was not a fugitive. The Romans arrested him because of demagoguery, a symbol for political independence. He was the "kingdependent" - ah sorry: "King of the Jews".

Last edited:
He entered Jerusalem wearing those glasses with the fake nose and mustache. :thup:

I guess it makes no sense to ask you why you say so. You will not know why, isn't it? But if you look for a good mustard for your mustache try "Weißwürst mit Händelmeiersenf" and some pieces of good bread or good pretzels. Hunger is a main reason for senseless agressions.

300x300_original-muenchener-weisswurst-von-schnegge-21.jpg

Last edited:
The reason that Judas was paid 30 pieces of silver is because that was the going rate for people wanted by the Roman state. They didn't have police officers like we do now, and so if there was someone that was wanted (like what Jesus was), the standard procedure was to pay anyone that brought in a fugitive.

I would have to agree with you if Judas had simply showed the place where Jesus was; but Judas had to kiss him in order to show who among them was Jesus. It would make sense if Jesus came to the city incognito, not attracting enormous attention; if he was keeping a low profile while he was there. But he was seen by thousands of people; he led an active life there. And considering this, it is quite dubious that the authorities needed someone who was familiar with him. Of course, there were neither police in contemporary sense of the word nor contemporary means of surveillance at that time. But it is awkward, that thousands of people knew who was Jesus, but no single person who has the power or who collaborate with them knew that, isn’t it?

I would have to agree with you if Judas had simply showed the place where Jesus was; but Judas had to kiss him in order to show who among them was Jesus. It would make sense if Jesus came to the city incognito, not attracting enormous attention; if he was keeping a low profile while he was there. But he was seen by thousands of people; he led an active life there. And considering this, it is quite dubious that the authorities needed someone who was familiar with him. Of course, there were neither police in contemporary sense of the word nor contemporary means of surveillance at that time. But it is awkward, that thousands of people knew who was Jesus, but no single person who has the power or who collaborate with them knew that, isn’t it?

The depiction of Jesus entering Jerusalem to massive crowds riding an ass (or a colt, or an ass and a colt [depending on which gospel you read]) was probably highly exaggerated. This specific entrance was a declaration of kingship according to Zechariah 9:9. Had Jesus really done it that way and gathered the crowds the gospels suggest he wouldn't have survived the day. The depiction is much more likely to be a convention used by the author(s) to make a theological point instead of a point of history.

You will also notice that as time passes the crowd gets much bigger. In Mark it just says "Many people..." (Mark 11:8). In Luke and Matthew (written about 15 years later) it becomes a "...whole crowd..." (Luke 19:37), and "...a very large crowd...." (Matt. 21:8). Ten years later, when John was written, it became the "...great crowd that had come for the festival..." (John 12:12) so the description of the crowd is getting bigger and bigger as time goes on, probably to increase the importance and visual element of the story as a literary device and not historical fact

Last edited:
The depiction of Jesus entering Jerusalem to massive crowds riding an ass (or a colt, or an ass and a colt [depending on which gospel you read]) was probably highly exaggerated. This specific entrance was a declaration of kingship according to Zechariah 9:9. Had Jesus really done it that way and gathered the crowds the gospels suggest he wouldn't have survived the day. The depiction is much more likely to be a convention used by the author(s) to make a theological point instead of a point of history.

You will also notice that as time passes the crowd gets much bigger. In Mark it just says "Many people..." (Mark 11:8). In Luke and Matthew (written about 15 years later) it becomes a "...whole crowd..." (Luke 19:37), and "...a very large crowd...." (Matt. 21:8). Ten years later, when John was written, it became the "...great crowd that had come for the festival..." (John 12:12) so the description of the crowd is getting bigger and bigger as time goes on, probably to increase the importance and visual element of the story as a literary device and not historical fact

Some corrections to my previous post - But it is awkward, that thousands of people knew who was Jesus, but no single person who had the power or who collaborated with them didn’t know that, isn’t it?

I agree with you. I also think that the crowd greeting Jesus is only an invention of his followers.

Unfortunately, I don’t know the Bible properly. I read only the Gospels and it was several years ago. My knowledge of them is vague. But I remember that there are a couple of passages I can’t explain according to my logic. The Judas’ kiss is one of them. It is interesting for me how Christians explain these contradictions or they simply don’t consider them as contradictions?

ABikeSailor gave his answer. I don’t know whether he is a Christian or not, though. And you agreed with him. But whether it explains the Judas’ kiss? There was no one among the crowd greeting Jesus or no one else saw Jesus when he was in Jerusalem who could point Jesus out without Judas? (Let’s remember the so-called cleansing of the Temple; it occurred after Jesus came to Jerusalem, didn’t it?)

Last edited:
Some corrections to my previous post - But it is awkward, that thousands of people knew who was Jesus, but no single person who had the power or who collaborated with them didn’t know that, isn’t it?

Well it depends on which gospel you read. In Mark, for example, no one really knows who Jesus is except the demons and those who have been healed by Him. Even the disciples, who in that gospel are depicted as being incredibly stupid, don't know who He is until the very end. In John, He is universally recognized as God in the flesh. So it depends on what you are reading.

Unfortunately, I don’t know the Bible properly. I read only the Gospels and it was several years ago. My knowledge of them is vague. But I remember that there are a couple of passages I can’t explain according to my logic. The Judas’ kiss is one of them. It is interesting for me how Christians explain these contradictions or they simply don’t consider them as contradictions?

There are lots of contradictions in the Bible. We could spend years exploring them all and, of course, some people have. The main problem with them is that many Christians see the Bible as the inerrant word of God and so there can be no contradictions or the Bible loses that inerrant quality. It is very threatening to these believers to consider such a thing, and some even think it is evil to even entertain the idea. Thus, they try to explain them away by forcing different accounts together or creating fabulous and meticulous scenarios where the contradictions work out. They are essentially writing their own account, of course, but that's just what they do. The nativity scene that we see at Christmas, for example, is the birth accounts of both Luke and Matthew crammed together. Neither of those gospels describe that exact scene.

ABikeSailor gave his answer. I don’t know whether he is a Christian or not, though. And you agreed with him. But whether it explains the Judas’ kiss? There was no one among the crowd greeting Jesus or no one else saw Jesus when he was in Jerusalem who could point Jesus out without Judas? (Let’s remember the so-called cleansing of the Temple; it occurred after Jesus came to Jerusalem, didn’t in?)

To my knowledge there isn't a real symbolic reason for the kiss. There may be one, but I am unaware of it. But also remember that the kiss was depicted differently across the gospels. Matthew and Mark describe the kiss, Luke refers to it but it doesn't actually say it happened, and John says nothing about it at all.

So let's take it a bit more closely. Traditionally, Judas comes to Jesus and kisses Him. Jesus says "Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?" and then Jesus is arrested. Well actually, Judas only kisses Jesus in Matthew and Mark and Jesus says nothing to Judas about it in those accounts. It's only in Matthew where Jesus says "Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?", and in that gospel, Judas didn't actually kiss Him. He just approached Him as if he was going to do so. So the scene, as it is traditionally depicted, is actually an amalgam of three different gospels and John is completely ignored.

So, Jesus was a wanted fugitive of the Romans...What did the Romans want him for?

The Galilean christ (Yehuda) of the Herod & Lysanias era was a tax revolter leader,
so Rome would have been after him for his tax revolt. Yehuda the Galilean often was confused with Yehuda the Galionite who was a thief and murderer who ransacked the temple (hence the tables overturning story).
This is probably where the confused Jesus & Jesus Barabbas story comes from.
If such an event took place which I don't believe it did (for reasons I've discussed before), then it's possible somone turned in the wrong Yehuda, something the gnostic texts elude to occuring.
If we are discussing the Ad era christ by the Jordan named Theudas then Rome had a different reason going after him, still probably a revolt, but not a tax one. All Theudas' apostles became martyrs for his cause leading us to believe they were revolting against Rome.

There are lots of contradictions in the Bible. We could spend years exploring them all and, of course, some people have. The main problem with them is that many Christians see the Bible as the inerrant word of God and so there can be no contradictions or the Bible loses that inerrant quality. It is very threatening to these believers to consider such a thing, and some even think it is evil to even entertain the idea. Thus, they try to explain them away by forcing different accounts together or creating fabulous and meticulous scenarios where the contradictions work out. They are essentially writing their own account, of course, but that's just what they do. The nativity scene that we see at Christmas, for example, is the birth accounts of both Luke and Matthew crammed together. Neither of those gospels describe that exact scene.

It is a great pity. I think that a true religion must be clear and understandable. If it demands that its followers fulfil blindly some rites and turn a blind eye to oddities, then there is nothing good one may expect from such a religion. And past centuries have proved it overwhelmingly.

Thanks for your answers. Actually, I read all the four Gospels, but several years have passed since then. It seems I should read them again to engage in a discussion about them.

It is a great pity. I think that a true religion must be clear and understandable. If it demands that its followers fulfil blindly some rites and turn a blind eye to oddities, then there is nothing good one may expect from such a religion. And past centuries have proved it overwhelmingly.

Thanks for your answers. Actually, I read all the four Gospels, but several years have passed since then. It seems I should read them again to engage in a discussion about them.

There is nothing good for the spirit that comes from blind obedience. Unfortunately, Christianity became an institution (even arguably a corporation) with great power and great power corrupts those who hold it. I always found it ironic that, according to Paul, Jesus was sacrificed so we no longer had to go through the Temple to get to God and instead we could go to God directly. Thus, organized churches were no longer necessary. So what did Paul do? Created a bunch of churches. Where did Christianity go? Straight to a powerful central church. I get the feeling Jesus probably looks down, shrugs His shoulders, and says "well, I tried".

There is nothing good for the spirit that comes from blind obedience. Unfortunately, Christianity became an institution (even arguably a corporation) with great power and great power corrupts those who hold it. I always found it ironic that, according to Paul, Jesus was sacrificed so we no longer had to go through the Temple to get to God and instead we could go to God directly. Thus, organized churches were no longer necessary. So what did Paul do? Created a bunch of churches. Where did Christianity go? Straight to a powerful central church. I get the feeling Jesus probably looks down, shrugs His shoulders, and says "well, I tried".

Well, every religion serves as a tool for receiving power and money. I wouldn’t say that Christianity is worse than the other organised religions. Every religion has significant flaw – people engaging in it.

I noticed you had written the word “His” by using a capital letter. Are you a Christian? (Of course, you needn’t answer if you consider the question too personal).

The Galilean christ (Yehuda) of the Herod & Lysanias era was a tax revolter leader,
so Rome would have been after him for his tax revolt.

Yet the Christ of the Bible explicitly tells his followers to pay their taxes. If the biblical figure is a conflation of the two Christs, it would be interesting to have watched how the writers dealt with that particular issue.

Well, every religion serves as a tool for receiving power and money. I wouldn’t say that Christianity is worse than the other organised religions. Every religion has significant flaw – people engaging in it.

I noticed you had written the word “His” by using a capital letter. Are you a Christian? (Of course, you needn’t answer if you consider the question too personal).

That's a much more complicated answer than I could give here. I generally identify as one because it is easier than having to explain the intricacies of my beliefs to every person I meet or talk to. They are closely aligned with Christianity but I have some exceptions that, according to the precise definition of what a Christian is, would disqualify me as a Christian. But it's pretty close. Basically, it's Christianity with some Taoism, theoretical physics, and a touch of Hindu tossed in for good measure. :lol:

That's a much more complicated answer than I could give here. I generally identify as one because it is easier than having to explain the intricacies of my beliefs to every person I meet or talk to. They are closely aligned with Christianity but I have some exceptions that, according to the precise definition of what a Christian is, would disqualify me as a Christian. But it's pretty close. Basically, it's Christianity with some Taoism, theoretical physics, and a touch of Hindu tossed in for good measure. :lol:

And what are these exceptions? Who was Christ according to your opinion?

Forum List

Back