Poll on women and free speech

I don't think that "inclusion and diversity" and "free speech" are opposing values, so asking which is more "important" to someone is absurd. Promoting inclusion and diversity furthers free speech by opening up more speech forums to more people. It's a good thing to hear from more people.

Even if there were a valid reason for ranking these two concepts, why would the OP only ask women to explain the 61-35 percent split? Why not ask men to explain it, too?

Well, gentlemen?

Inclusion and diversity are just code words for bigotry against white, straight men. So it's no wonder so many men voted in favor of free speech. That small percentage of men who voted for bigotry were probably brown or gay.

Weird! There is absolutely no evidence of bigotry against white, straight men. In our last election in Virginia, I voted for a white, straight man, and apparently so did many of my fellow voters of all backgrounds, considering the results. White, straight men are well supported and play a huge role in public life. Just tune in to the impeachment hearings and count all of the white, presumably mostly straight, men participating.

What you are talking about is identity politics, and this is a whole separate subject.
-------------------------------------------------- nothing wrong with IDENTITY POKLITICS . In fact , smart prople better start voting and working on the use of Identity Polics Lysis .

Identity politics is a separate issue, right or wrong. Impuretrash asserted that there is "bigotry against white, straight men," so I just pointed out to him that voters of both genders, and a wide range of skin colors, ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientations, and religions have supported, and do support white, straight men.

Identity politics is a cop-out. Do you think that I should support sarah huckabee or betsy devoss just because they are white, straight women and so am I, even though they are garbage?

Identity polititics is the only way to go Lysis .
I certainly do not think that it is the way to go, although I would vote for Hillary Clinton again and I could vote for Elizabeth Warren. But I could bridge the gender divide and vote for Biden or Buttigieg, as well. I'm flexible.

Opposition that successfully limits diversity and inclusion, as we have seen in the past, operates to prevent free speech. History is full of small groups of people who pretended to speak for the many, giving assurances that everybody was happy with their lot without asking.

Now that there has been an effort to foster diversity and inclusion, more voices are being heard that have been kept silent in the past. It's wonderful to see that people all over the world and of all backgrounds now have an opportunity to speak their minds and they are taking it.

It's not a question of being denied the microphone. It's simply that everyone gets to speak and then has to yield it to the next person.

yes, because a bunch of loser SJW types yelling at a conservative event is letting "everyone speak"

Opposition that successfully limits diversity and inclusion, as we have seen in the past, operates to prevent free speech. History is full of small groups of people who pretended to speak for the many, giving assurances that everybody was happy with their lot without asking.

Now that there has been an effort to foster diversity and inclusion, more voices are being heard that have been kept silent in the past. It's wonderful to see that people all over the world and of all backgrounds now have an opportunity to speak their minds and they are taking it.

It's not a question of being denied the microphone. It's simply that everyone gets to speak and then has to yield it to the next person.

yes, because a bunch of loser SJW types yelling at a conservative event is letting "everyone speak"

Yeah, and a bunch of loser right-wingers yelling at an open event is letting "everyone speak." If there was an event at which there was time for 20 speakers to take a turn for five minutes, and everyone drew a number out of a bowl, betcha it would be the right-winger who drew number 15 who would bitch and moan that he ought to be allowed to speak first and take more than five minutes. He would throw a completely hissy fit if there were speakers from Planned Parenthood or Black Lives Matter who drew numbers in the one-through-14 range.

BTW: is it possible for right-winger "conservatives" to give a speech that advances their positive ideas for tackling the future, or are they all limited to giving speeches criticizing, and attempting to direct, other groups of people. I'm tired of this "women ought to," "blacks ought to," "gays ought to" crap. Do they have anything positive to offer?

Yeah, and a bunch of loser right-wingers yelling at an open event is letting "everyone speak." If there was an event at which there was time for 20 speakers to take a turn for five minutes, and everyone drew a number out of a bowl, betcha it would be the right-winger who drew number 15 who would bitch and moan that he ought to be allowed to speak first and take more than five minutes. He would throw a completely hissy fit if there were speakers from Planned Parenthood or Black Lives Matter who drew numbers in the one-through-14 range.

BTW: is it possible for right-winger "conservatives" to give a speech that advances their positive ideas for tackling the future, or are they all limited to giving speeches criticizing, and attempting to direct, other groups of people. I'm tired of this "women ought to," "blacks ought to," "gays ought to" crap. Do they have anything positive to offer?

The SJW types can hold their own conferences/forums, why do they feel the need to disrupt someone else's?

Plenty of left wing panels happen and no one tries to stop them from even holding the event. Right leaning speakers go on campus and the lefties have a hissy fit, try to get them cancelled, and disrupt their events when they occur.

And your last paragraph is standard SJW woke drivel.

--------------------------------------------------- don't know either but people with similar interests and concerns oughta organize in my opinion JBowie ,

But organize on what basis?

the USA is not an ethnic nation. We are and always have been a *cvic* nationality, based on language, common law and the Constitution.

I do not see how that intersects with Identity Politics.

An 'American Conservative ethnocentric nationalist' is one huge oxymoron.

Women Against Free Speech? | RealClearPolitics

Majorities of students polled said they support both free speech and "inclusion and diversity." When asked which is more important, 53 percent said inclusion and diversity, and only 46 percent said free speech.
What I found most striking -- the numbers that stood out for me -- was the difference between men and women. Among men, 61 percent favored free speech. But only 35 percent of women did so. That's a result I certainly hadn't expected.

So ladies, what gives?

So as man who avoids women.............

Here's my stab at the answer:

Men have no problem insulting each other. You get a group of men together, and they say you stink, your fat, and respond 'thanks man' and smack each other on the back, and pass another beer.

Women, words are super super important, and if you say the wrong thing, or even the right thing out of context, or even just with the wrong inflection in your voice.... get all bent.

30 years later "You remember when you said (x) to me?"
"No dear, I must have forgotten that when I was looking for my self-esteem"

Women are far more affected by the words you say, than men are. (I'm speaking generally. Some men are very sensitive to what you say. I'm like that. And some women you can call them anything, and they just 'meh' and walk away).

So I think that's playing into this poll, where women are more apt to say, yeah freedom of speech but there needs to be limits. Where men are more like, yeah say whatever you want, and we'll just mock you if you say something stupid.

That's my take....

TRUMP is doing fine , he works for me and other Americans like ME while telling you 'euros' to pound sand or to pay up your BILLS Lysis .

Working for Americans like you is not the same as working for all Americans, not even close. In fact, he is working against many Americans. I have no ties to the European continent, moron, except for the fact that it is populated by human beings, of which I am one and is the source of many cultural traditions that I celebrate as part of my heritage.

I suppose this could be just me..... but it seems as though every single post, you are really bitter and angry. Now there are posts were I've been angry, sure... but not every single post.

Is there some reason you are constantly mad?

Identity polititics is the only way to go Lysis .
I certainly do not think that it is the way to go, although I would vote for Hillary Clinton again and I could vote for Elizabeth Warren. But I could bridge the gender divide and vote for Biden or Buttigieg, as well. I'm flexible.

Thanks for making my case that many women simply do no think if reason and logic are included in the definition of thinking.

TRUMP is doing fine , he works for me and other Americans like ME while telling you 'euros' to pound sand or to pay up your BILLS Lysis .

Working for Americans like you is not the same as working for all Americans, not even close. In fact, he is working against many Americans. I have no ties to the European continent, moron, except for the fact that it is populated by human beings, of which I am one and is the source of many cultural traditions that I celebrate as part of my heritage.

So tell us when did your messiah work for all Americans? He just worked for the guys in dresses, women, rich liberals and 20 million rapist killer midget Mexicans.

--------------------------------------------------- don't know either but people with similar interests and concerns oughta organize in my opinion JBowie ,

But organize on what basis?

the USA is not an ethnic nation. We are and always have been a *cvic* nationality, based on language, common law and the Constitution.

I do not see how that intersects with Identity Politics.

An 'American Conservative ethnocentric nationalist' is one huge oxymoron.

You don't have to be "racist" to recognize demographic reality. Since the immigration reform bill of 1968, an unending tsunami of foreigners have flooded the country. Yes, America has always had immigrants but never on this scale. Is it a coincidence that the very fundamentals of American culture has been absolutely turned on its head in that time span?

If you turn enough males primal to attain what you want, you will lose everything. Someone will run perhaps in the near future with all of the answers.

I've said it in different threads and it should be obvious but many women think differently despite facts , proof and truth . I have known that for over 65 years Depotoo .

Actually many women don't think at all if you define thinking as using fact, logic and reason to reach a thoughtful conclusion.

Yeah. Right. Now explain monkeys like trump, pence, jordan, frankie graham, jeffress, mcconnell, and the rest of the brainless dickheads. Hint: they are male, exhibit absolutely no tendency to use "fact, logic and reason," and haven't come up with a "thoughtful conclusion" yet. Moreover, some have admitted that they "think" with their genitals. Do these monkeys even have brains?

Apparently you can get in serious trouble in college if you are overheard making a politically incorrect statement or uttering any one of a dozen forbidden words or voicing an opinion contrary to the established doctrine and yet free speech is unimportant to them. I believe the mindless drones in Orwell's books might have been of the same opinion.

So tell us when did your messiah work for all Americans? He just worked for the guys in dresses, women, rich liberals and 20 million rapist killer midget Mexicans.

What "messiah"? If you mean President Obama, he worked for everybody. He didn't cater to one specific group.

Pismoe referred to "Americans like me"? Who would that consist of in a 325 million population of Americans that includes "guys in dresses, women, and rich liberals" as well as many others? You do know that mentioning women, by itself, refers to over 50% of the U.S. population. Who are the orange whore and the sex-queerdo working for, anyway?

Apparently you can get in serious trouble in college if you are overheard making a politically incorrect statement or uttering any one of a dozen forbidden words or voicing an opinion contrary to the established doctrine and yet free speech is unimportant to them. I believe the mindless drones in Orwell's books might have been of the same opinion.

Did you ever consider that one might just get criticism and push-back from people if one insults them? I don't understand what you mean by "serious trouble." Most schools do have policies that require students to be respectful on campus.

Forum List

Back