Poll: Dropping the Rep System: good or bad?

What do you think will be the effect of dropping the Rep system?

• Good riddance -- Rep was used to get nasty under the surface

Votes: 17 20.0%
  • Opportunity lost -- Rep was used to connect with one's adversaries positively

Votes: 29 34.1%
  • Doesn't matter-- Rep was meaningless anyway

Votes: 33 38.8%
  • Never paid attention to it or didn't use it

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters
One of the things I liked about the rep system. You had to EARN that shinny red star. Having one gave me a heads up in what to expect if they actually made a post worthy of responding to as the follow up was certainly going to be garbage.
What shiny red star? Are you referring to the splats? I don't remember ever seeing a shiny red star.

What shiny red star? Are you referring to the splats? I don't remember ever seeing a shiny red star.
Splat, star same thing :D
this
url

this
url

I had to click to another page to see that but it's a red star.
Don't think I've ever seen that before either. Wasn't even sure what you were saying in that post. Did you mean the red dot that came with a neg?

I had to click to another page to see that but it's a red star.
Don't think I've ever seen that before either. Wasn't even sure what you were saying in that post. Did you mean the red dot that came with a neg?
No. No one recognizes it!

It was located on the right side of the screen under your total rep when you became such a troll that you had a high overall negative rep.

Edit: ya, the image does not work because I don't think it is an image but rather a HTML coded image. That would not be handled by the board.

this
url

Did you get a Splat? I saw that some members were copying the Username with Splats and putting them on their siggies as a means to demean the member. I didn't think that was cool.

Did you get a Splat? I saw that some members were copying the Username with Splats and putting them on their siggies as a means to demean the member. I didn't think that was cool.
No. Getting a splat means you had to really be a hard troll. Do you think I am trollish?

Back when it took two years to get to 100, it was interesting...after that, I didn't care. I'm not going to miss it.

All dropping rep has done is to create a new rewards system. It's not going to somehow transform the board into a wellspring of genteel discussion.

Just sayin'.

You don't get anything from a reward system either. But the rep was being abused.

The rep system didn't work all too well, though people can usually figure out what people they like or dislike on their own anyway.

It was funny at times to be called names, and negged for silly reasons, and it was satisfying sometimes to neg or thumbs up others just to see how they react.

Was tempted to try and get more negs, but the times when I would go out of my way to piss someone off I find too nationalistic or ideologically driven are rare these days.

Since the rep thing is gone though, it might mean moderators have to be more vigilant about the really bad eggs as the rep thing once in a while did act as a community watch of sorts.

Enjoyed the opportunity to give positives, but negs always seemed to me to be the 'I wanna hurt their feelings' button. If you don't like a post, write why and discuss it. But having a button to push just seemed lazy and juvenille.

A couple of people have noted they're glad to see Rep gone because it brought nasty negs. I saw it as a positive opportunity to connect with posters who might have had a very different POV and a chance to give them credit for at least a good argument.

What say you?

Spoonman indicated, and I agree 100% with his opinion, that the rep system functioned as a ventile for people to let off some steam. He also indicated, as you did, that it helped people to get to know each other better, a point that I also agree with. It remains to be seen if the content here will become rougher and less friendly without rep, or not.

I came from a site that had no rep and when I first got here in late November, 2013, I found the rep thing to be totally strange. But with time, I learned to see it's value.

I personally think that @cereal_killer should reinstate rep. Whether he were to zero out all rep and have everyone start from scratch is irrelevant. The system itself was indeed helpful.

But whether or not he does that, I will keep on posting the things I like to post. :D

Won't miss it a whit. It was obviously gamed by groups of people. All you needed to see that was a handful of the users w/ high ratings and it became clear that it wasn't merit-based.

I also miss being able to send a message along with the rep. I mean, wasn't that the whole point of the rep system ... to let someone know what you thought of their post? Sure, you can still send them a message separately but no one is going to do that. And yeah you can do that in public in the thread but that's not what the threads are for. If they attached the ability to comment when 'liking' or 'agreeing' with a post that'd be great.

Since I chose to use my rep for good instead of to 'blow off steam', it was never a means to vent by me. I can vent verbally quite efficiently without having to physically hurt somebody. My dilemma with rep was whether I would return it to people whose hobby here seemed to be acquiring rep and who I knew expected me to return the favor when the repped me--or to use my daily allotment of rep to reward a really well thought out or expressed post, as rep was intended even with the newbies or the less well endowed (with rep) members who deserved recognition. Now I can 'like' as many good posts as I wish and don't have to worry about rep etiquette. I'm enjoying that a lot.

A couple of people have noted they're glad to see Rep gone because it brought nasty negs. I saw it as a positive opportunity to connect with posters who might have had a very different POV and a chance to give them credit for at least a good argument.

What say you?
If reps are no good...why not get rid of all the trappings of a prom competition ...we know a moron when we see one and our responses make our judgement clear. No need for trophies.

Glad it's gone. As I've said in other threads, one can still recreate the positive experience of a rep point by simply sending a private message to the person or praising them publicly in the thread itself. This way, however, nobody can privately send nasty messages to people. Now they'll either have to grow up or let everybody see how they really act.
Well actually they can still send nasty messages to people via PM (or in the new vernacular 'conversation'.) But they'll have to consciously make the effort to do that instead of the easier means of a neg rep and nasty one-liner.

Forum List

Back