Poll: Dropping the Rep System: good or bad?

What do you think will be the effect of dropping the Rep system?

• Good riddance -- Rep was used to get nasty under the surface

Votes: 17 20.0%
  • Opportunity lost -- Rep was used to connect with one's adversaries positively

Votes: 29 34.1%
  • Doesn't matter-- Rep was meaningless anyway

Votes: 33 38.8%
  • Never paid attention to it or didn't use it

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
A couple of people have noted they're glad to see Rep gone because it brought nasty negs. I saw it as a positive opportunity to connect with posters who might have had a very different POV and a chance to give them credit for at least a good argument.

What say you?

A couple of people have noted they're glad to see Rep gone because it brought nasty negs. I saw it as a positive opportunity to connect with posters who might have had a very different POV and a chance to give them credit for at least a good argument.

What say you?
I'm gonna' miss Syrenn's thread "Negs to Laugh At!". There was plenty of good material there! ;)

Huh? I just logged on after a couple days....where's my rep!?....:mad:

Actually, I don't care. But yeah, alerts....cool

Rarely negged anyone. Just not my style. Some one had to be really truly outrageous to earn a neg from me. But I enjoyed giving positive rep for excellent or funny posts. Bigger present than a thank you. Does anyone understand the trophy points. What they are or how they work?

What say you?
I'm glad to see it is gone, in reference to the numerical value, only. I will miss the opportunity to connect with posters relative to their comments. It was a nice touch that I missed when I had opted out those almost 8 months. Now, it is gone again. :( It brought people together. This way it appears to have lost that premium touch, as far as I can see, which I am still not seeing the forest for the trees. :eek:

Rarely negged anyone. Just not my style. Some one had to be really truly outrageous to earn a neg from me. But I enjoyed giving positive rep for excellent or funny posts. Bigger present than a thank you. Does anyone understand the trophy points. What they are or how they work?
I didn't initiate negs either. I did return 3 in all this time, though. Woohoo.

It was not accurate in that groups used it to enhance their friends and disparage others collectively...
Good riddance!

I don't know the answer to that one, yet, either. "Trophy".....sounds like a reality show...lol

I didn't respond to the poll because my response to it isn't offered there. I will miss hitting the rep button on posts that I really do want to give the recipient a word of encouragement or sympathy or appreciation or praise or privately laugh with them or whatever and it is an almost effortless way to do that.

But the honest side of me clearly informs me that I can still do that--I'll just have to make that extra bit of effort to open a private conversation box to do it. Will I do it as much? I think I will for those things that are inappropriate on the open board. But without the rep feature I expect to use the open board more for appropriate comments that can be placed there.

It feels to get rep from a friend or especially from a 'stranger' who happened to appreciate one of your posts. It feels good to give rep. But I won't miss the mostly unintended obligatory aspect of it--those who expect to get rep back for rep given.

I will enjoy not trying to remember who I 'owe' rep to and it will be a time saver not having to open a gazillion PMs that are rep notifications with no personal comment or those that just say 'thanks for the rep.' All are appreciated--but can be expressed in different ways.

I have enjoyed being able to give a visible thanks to good posts at another site and it is just as meaningful as rep. Evenmoreso because all can see that the person got it and rightfully so. I hope those who give the 'likes' and 'agrees' here will be made visible here too.

I didn't respond to the poll because my response to it isn't offered there. I will miss hitting the rep button on posts that I really do want to give the recipient a word of encouragement or sympathy or appreciation or praise or privately laugh with them or whatever and it is an almost effortless way to do that.

But the honest side of me clearly informs me that I can still do that--I'll just have to make that extra bit of effort to open a private conversation box to do it. Will I do it as much? I think I will for those things that are inappropriate on the open board. But without the rep feature I expect to use the open board more for appropriate comments that can be placed there.

It feels to get rep from a friend or especially from a 'stranger' who happened to appreciate one of your posts. It feels good to give rep. But I won't miss the mostly unintended obligatory aspect of it--those who expect to get rep back for rep given.

I will enjoy not trying to remember who I 'owe' rep to and it will be a time saver not having to open a gazillion PMs that are rep notifications with no personal comment or those that just say 'thanks for the rep.' All are appreciated--but can be expressed in different ways.

I have enjoyed being able to give a visible thanks to good posts at another site and it is just as meaningful as rep. Evenmoreso because all can see that the person got it and rightfully so. I hope those who give the 'likes' and 'agrees' here will be made visible here too.

Yeah I agree with about 98% of that Mom O'Fox. I'd just add that having the rep system there, while it didn't make possible something we now don't have, it did facilitate handing out praise that has an actual quantity on it, a tangible reward. Yeah we can still do that but now it's an extra voluntary step (and an intangible, unquanifiable reward), and just I think that's going to cut down such praise by quite a lot because it removes the incentive to do so.

I thought it was fun, and it shall be missed...

Even though I never sent anyone negative or positive rep, I liked reading the rep comments that people sent me. I mean... the pos rep comments were nice and sometimes enlightening, but some of the neg rep comments were just hilarious lol. It was like Light Side points and Dark Side points.

The easy way to keep track of our karmic acquisition is now gone :-(

I think the rep concept was a good one, but it was too easy to bastardize into a game that had no meaning at other than who could build it up the fastest by joining with others that have only that intention in mind. It lost all credibility after that. So I say good riddance. It was a joke.

Forum List

Back