Police State: Police Officer Slays Marine Sergeant In School Parking Lot...

Nah, we don't have a Police problem in this country. No way.

A veteran Orange County sheriff’s deputy feared for the safety of two young girls sitting in a parked car when he shot and killed a Marine sergeant in a dark parking lot near San Clemente High School, authorities said Friday.

Sgt. Manuel Loggins Jr. was shot early Tuesday as he started to get into the SUV where his two daughters -- 9 and 14 -- were sitting, authorities said. Jim Amormino, a spokesman for the department, said the deputy was fearful that Loggins -- who he said appeared to be acting irrationally -- was about to drive off with the girls.

"The real threat that was perceived was the safety of the children," Amormino said.

"The deputy formed an opinion that he had a deep concern for the children, that he would not allow Mr. Loggins to drive away with the kids," Amormino said.

A former commanding officer said Loggins routinely went to the school with his daughters during the early-morning hours to walk the track and read the Bible.

Amormino said Loggins was not armed and that it doesn’t appear the incident was alcohol- or drug-related.

The shooting is being investigated by the Orange County district attorney's office. The deputy, a 15-year veteran, is on paid leave, which is routine in officer-involved shootings.

Police officer slays Marine sergeant in school parking lot | The Daily Caller

That police officer should got to jail for murder...too bad he won't.

All this is completely logical if the facts have been accurately presented in the various news reports.

They seem to be trying out different sets of 'facts' as the story progresses...

People often make conflicting statements in highly charged events. That's why it is best to wait before addressing them publicly.

There are two children whose stories have not yet been heard. Then we will see how everyone's versions match up.

We used to have what we called a "48 hour rule" for things like this on another forum. No judgements for at least two days. :)

And as Annie said, this may be a tragic case of PTSD.

If folks are just going to keep going for the old reports, some will just keep repeating the newer reports. Get it?

I think this is very sad, something was up with the Marine. Pretty much seems like 'suicide by police,' which is horrible for the police and his daughters.

New Details Released in Marine's Death | NBC San Diego

His daughters, ages 9 and 14, could be heard screaming in the SUV, and when approached by sheriff's personnel reported their father had been acting oddly, the statement said.

Does that change your mind at all, paulitician?

that would require actual thought on his part.

REading the two articles sounds to me like the police officer is changing his story. Either the guy was in the car, or he was walking away from it, can't have it both ways.

As for "high speed" anybody remember the Rodney King trial. Those cops claimed to have been chasing that car at speeds over 100 miles an hour. It had 4 men in it, all weighing over 200 pounds and it was a Hyundai.

from a link on the OP linked page, to a related piece...

Union blames Marine killed by deputy for fatal shooting - latimes.com

The union said Loggins could be heard uttering "irrational statements" after he crashed through a gate in his GMC Yukon about 4:30 a.m. that morning and left his two daughters, 14 and 9, in the SUV as he walked to the athletic field. Friends have said he frequented the track to walk with his children and read the Bible.

The union said the deputy is a 15-year veteran of the department and a decorated former Marine himself. He radioed dispatch to report a "child endangerment situation," the union said.

Other sheriff's personnel arrived and comforted the children, who said their father "had been acting oddly," the statement said. When Loggins abruptly returned to his SUV, he ignored orders not to start the car and instead put it in gear, preparing to drive "and further endanger the children."

The union said the deputy, positioned by the driver's window, fatally shot Loggins as he began to pull the vehicle forward.

two sides to every story. The truth is usually in between someplace.

And the police officers union is on the police officers side regardless of his guilt.

What a terrible thing to have happen.

But leave it to Libo_Pauli to never let a tragedy go to un-sensationalized.

The man was unarmed. Shooting him dead was not necessary. It's very sad.

If he is acting erratically, and failing to comply with orders the police can use force. He should have tazed him before anything else though, but if time was imminent he did what he had to do to save the girls. Do I agree with it? Nope, but I wasn't there so I cannot judge the officer, I did not see what he seen.

Having read the different articles, it appears the officer is changing his story to make himself look innocent. There's a lie there somewhere and in my mind, that makes him guilty as hell.

That said, there are a number of ways the officer could have handled the situation. It's pretty clear he chose the wrong one.

REading the two articles sounds to me like the police officer is changing his story. Either the guy was in the car, or he was walking away from it, can't have it both ways.

As for "high speed" anybody remember the Rodney King trial. Those cops claimed to have been chasing that car at speeds over 100 miles an hour. It had 4 men in it, all weighing over 200 pounds and it was a Hyundai.

What was the outcome of the cops trial?

Yeah, according the first article, he was walking away from the car when the officer yelled at him and when he turned around, the officer felt threatened so he shot him.

According to the second article, he was about to drive away, so the officer shot him.

Either way, it pretty much puts the officer in the wrong.

Forum List

Back