I need help with a Phrase, I think it may be Latin

1_Old_Man

Jan 26, 2012
I am looking for a phrase, I believe it may be latin. I know the meaning I'm looking for but not the words that convey it. Any help you might be able to give will be appreciated.

The definition of the phrase is something on the order of 'it looks too good not to be true' meaning that the proposition put forth, though not supported by evidence, seems so reasonable that no further thought goes into it, even though the proposition might be false, hinting that common wisdom is no wisdom at all.

Anyone know?

I think the phrase you're looking for is

Argumentum ad nauseam

An incorrect assumption that something is true because it is often asserted to be true. Is that right?

Did I win? Huh? Did I?

See, this is why I don't bother trying to be helpful, you give someone an answer and they don't even bother to reply.

I am looking for a phrase, I believe it may be latin. I know the meaning I'm looking for but not the words that convey it. Any help you might be able to give will be appreciated.

The definition of the phrase is something on the order of 'it looks too good not to be true' meaning that the proposition put forth, though not supported by evidence, seems so reasonable that no further thought goes into it, even though the proposition might be false, hinting that common wisdom is no wisdom at all.

Anyone know?

Do you have any idea how many Latin phrases could enforce your memory??

A lot...

I wanted to be a criminal law attorney when I was younger until I realize Latin was the language of barbarians and mental midgets...

Linguistics is a lot more fun...

English is 10x harder to learn than 95% of the known languages - yet our courts speak basically a Klingon language...

Makes perfect fucking sense to me...

Anyone know?

Prima facie.

Modus Ponens or Modus Tollens
argumentum ad ignorantiam, argumentum ex silentio

Thank you. The regression argument (MP) seems to come the closest.

As for the other, the one I didn't thank and was rebuked for. Well, I thank you now for your attempt to answer, but I should tell you that the reason I didn't respond to your post was because it was clearly not the right answer, in fact it it was clear on its face that what you responded with was exactly the opposite of what I had asked; it was as if you hadn't actually read the question and just wanted to make your name known. You see, you gave an answer that refers to an argument that goes on hopelessly until it make a person sick. What I asked for was an argument that never even gets started in the first place. Why would I thank you for giving me an obviously wrong answer?

Modus Ponens or Modus Tollens
argumentum ad ignorantiam, argumentum ex silentio

Thank you. The regression argument (MP) seems to come the closest.

As for the other, the one I didn't thank and was rebuked for. Well, I thank you now for your attempt to answer, but I should tell you that the reason I didn't respond to your post was because it was clearly not the right answer, in fact it it was clear on its face that what you responded with was exactly the opposite of what I had asked; it was as if you hadn't actually read the question and just wanted to make your name known. You see, you gave an answer that refers to an argument that goes on hopelessly until it make a person sick. What I asked for was an argument that never even gets started in the first place. Why would I thank you for giving me an obviously wrong answer?

A rational being would thank someone for making an effort on the behalf of the lazy ass old twit who seems incapable of doing things for themselves. Explains why you are a liberal and I am a conservative. You expect others to do your work for you, I not only do my own... I make an effort to assist others.

Assclown.

Anyone know?

Some people might call that "Biggus Dickus"............ :eusa_whistle:

Anyone know?

It is not caveat emptor is it? That is a rather common phrase used in America.

Anyone know?

It is not caveat emptor is it? That is a rather common phrase used in America.

No, this is always used in reruns of Life Of Brian........ :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back