Police Officer's Response After Pulling Over Young Black Man

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
See This Officer's Powerful Response After Pulling Over 'Terrified' Young Black Man

A Georgia police officer is going viral for his Facebook post after he pulled over an African-American man for texting while driving.

Garden City Police Department Lt. Tim McMillan wrote that when he pulled the vehicle over, he saw that the young black man was absolutely terrified, asking, "What do you want me to do, officer?"

"I just looked at him for a moment, because what I was seeing made me sad. I said, 'I just don't want you to get hurt.'" McMillan wrote.

The man asked if McMillan wanted him to exit the vehicle, and McMillan told him no and that he simply wanted him not to text and drive or get in a wreck.

"'I want your mom to always have her baby boy. I want you to grow up and be somebody. I don't even want to write you a ticket. Just please pay attention, and put the phone down. I just don't want you to get hurt,'" McMillan wrote.

He added that he doesn't care who's fault it is that a young black man was so scared to be pulled over by a police officer - whether it's the media, bad cops, protesters or Colin Kaepernick - he just wants someone to "fix it."

McMillan's post has been liked and shared hundreds of times.

FoxInsider….

It's a shame there has to be such fear. Where did it originate? Think about the answer before you write. It didn't start with a white officer shooting a black man. It started before that. It started when Michael Brown robbed the convenience store. Then he was seen walking in the middle of the road (with the cigars) and he was recognized by an alert police officer. Then Brown was told to stop. An altercation ensued and Michael assaulted the police officer and started to grab for his gun. That's when the police officer fought back, Brown was shot.

Because of this and other stops the perp did not follow directions and a shooting followed. Then there were some bad stops and shootings by police officers. Certainly not a number that would warrant blacks calling for the assassination of police officers.

Students are told the police and fire responders are their friends in need at an early age. We need blacks and police officers both to honor that early recognition later in life. We need this young black man who was terrified to understand that police at large are there to help, not to hurt any innocent young man.

We need to come together blacks and police officers so we can keep all communities safe, not just white ones.

Parents should take note. Teach your children how to behave if stopped by a police officer. Not just black, but everyone. Police have a dangerous job, don't make it harder than what it already is.

Right now, some police do not want to go into black communities due to the danger. And because of that, people are not getting the help they need in a short time span. We have to work together to stop this. Any ideas how communities can come together with their Police Departments?

See This Officer's Powerful Response After Pulling Over 'Terrified' Young Black Man

A Georgia police officer is going viral for his Facebook post after he pulled over an African-American man for texting while driving.

Garden City Police Department Lt. Tim McMillan wrote that when he pulled the vehicle over, he saw that the young black man was absolutely terrified, asking, "What do you want me to do, officer?"

"I just looked at him for a moment, because what I was seeing made me sad. I said, 'I just don't want you to get hurt.'" McMillan wrote.

The man asked if McMillan wanted him to exit the vehicle, and McMillan told him no and that he simply wanted him not to text and drive or get in a wreck.

"'I want your mom to always have her baby boy. I want you to grow up and be somebody. I don't even want to write you a ticket. Just please pay attention, and put the phone down. I just don't want you to get hurt,'" McMillan wrote.

He added that he doesn't care who's fault it is that a young black man was so scared to be pulled over by a police officer - whether it's the media, bad cops, protesters or Colin Kaepernick - he just wants someone to "fix it."

FoxInsider….

It's a shame there has to be such fear. Where did it originate? Think about the answer before you write. It didn't start with a white officer shooting a black man. It started before that. It started when Michael Brown robbed the convenience store. Then he was seen walking in the middle of the road (with the cigars) and he was recognized by an alert police officer. Then Brown was told to stop. An altercation ensued and Michael assaulted the police officer and started to grab for his gun. That's when the police officer fought back, Brown was shot.

Because of this and other stops the perp did not follow directions and a shooting followed. Then there were some bad stops and shootings by police officers. Certainly not a number that would warrant blacks calling for the assassination of police officers.

Students are told the police and fire responders are their friends in need at an early age. We need blacks and police officers both to honor that early recognition later in life. We need this young black man who was terrified to understand that police at large are there to help, not to hurt any innocent young man.

We need to come together blacks and police officers so we can keep all communities safe, not just white ones.
Fewer cops shooting unarmed black folks would be helpful too.

FoxInsider….

So would fewer black folks killing/attempting to kill cops.
It all needs work. Not just one side.

FoxInsider….

This police officer is not the Problem....hopefully there can be more like him to be the Solution.

FoxInsider….

Agree...so how can we get the communities to support the police and the police to support the community?

FoxInsider….

This police officer is not the Problem....hopefully there can be more like him to be the Solution.
Perhaps more stops with just pointing out what they are doing wrong and leave them with a warning would help.

FoxInsider….

Agree...so how can we get the communities to support the police and the police to support the community?
Both sides need to police themselves better.

FoxInsider….

It began at the founding.

Earth to all civil right agitators.

Everyone gets nervous when they get pulled over by the Police. White, Black or Brown. Especially when you are young. I remember getting pulled over when I was 16 and I was so nervous the officer thought I was hiding something. He called for backup and searched my car. I nearly wet myself, but I complied. He found nothing because I had nothing. I digress.

If you broke the law, such as have drugs, a warrant, illegal gun, suspended license etc then you are much more worried, because you will probably get arrested.

If it is a traffic stop you get nervous because you don't want a ticket.

HOWEVER, if you don't get lipy, show respect and answer the questions, even with asshole cops, 99.9% of the time you will be fine and at worst get a ticket.

But too often Black people show utter disrespect and it arises suspicion, as it should. To often they act with such contempt that confrontation arises when it could have easily been avoided.

Its not going to happen. There are a million police across the nation dealing with the worst people in society. It's astonishing that there are only about 200 black people shot by cops annually. This idea that it's going to happen any less than that is simply absurd. It's never going to happen, which is why these protests will never accomplish anything, in fact, they only cause harm.

I saw a similar story on Facebook a few days ago. A white police officer pulled over a teenage black boy who immediately went into panic mode. He asked why the officer had pulled him and if the officer wanted him to get out of the car. The officer told him he did not want him to get out of his car ... he just wanted to talk to him about not texting while driving because he wanted the boy to get home safely and alive for his mother's sake. I forget the state - Indiana maybe.

Here, one of the local sheriff's offices gave a private tour to a little boy dressed up like bat man who wanted to be a cop when he grew up ... sort of a "bat man" day for the child. They did the works for the child ... complete with a little honorary "badge."

There are plenty of good stories out there every day ... the main stream media just doesn't WANT to bother with "BS" like this.

Right now, some police do not want to go into black communities due to the danger. And because of that, people are not getting the help they need in a short time span. We have to work together to stop this.

Yes we have to stop allowing people to make up stories about what cops fear and what they do because of it. I agree. Lets stop storytelling and stick with the facts.

FoxInsider….

Any cop making an unassisted stop of anyone is taking his/her own life into their hands at a very high risk.

But the cities, counties, and states are still sending police, sheriffs' deputies, and highway patrol officers out alone because their own budgets are stretched thin.

That is what makes those jobs impossible to do safely.

They will double them up at night but not in the daytimes.

Very unfortunate and negligent.

FoxInsider….

It did not start wh the BROwn case . (And your discription is wrong . That cop knew nothing about what happened at the store).

This shot goes back forever. People have more cameras now. ThAts the difference .

Forum List

Back