Police and crazy people

the shooter was found incompetent....mental illness

a friend of mine is serving a life w/o parole for murder....she is fine on meds...off meds...she beats one of her friends to death with a frying pan...

55-year-old Gloria Hughes Estes of Avery County has been sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole after being found guilty of first-degree murder in the death of Samuel Joe Roberson (age 59 at the time of his death) also of Avery County. Estes was charged and arrested in June 2005 near the town of Newland for Roberson's murder, who was found dead from a severe head trauma. Opening statements began Thursday January 10th and Prosecution lasted until late the next morning. The trial occurred in Mitchell County after Estes' Defense Attorney, Gary Triggs, sought out a change of venue last year. Although Estes did not confess to the 2005 murder of Samuel Roberson, the jury heard testimony from State Bureau of Investigation representatives as well as statements from Estes' fellow inmates

WKYK 940 AM - #1 Country Music

If you have this sort of history and still choose not to take your meds, IMO, you are also choosing to place others at an unreasonable risk of harm by you. I think the insanity defense should be unavailable to such people.

N.J. woman accuses 2 police officers of forcible arrest during safety check | NJ.com

Interesting case. If Leenstra had killed herself, would the cops be responsible as well?

Cops have a really tough job.

Why should they even get involved? Unless she is a danger to others, not just herself, there is no need for the police to even ask questions.

One would think. But that's not the way it works. The checks are required. See in bold.

I can understand what George is saying about the prison system. However, the cops have a duty to protect the public and THEMSELVES when there is a threat. It matters not if the "devil made them do it". In fact, it would seem in many cases the loony with the knife would be far more dangerous than the thug with the knife.

I would imagine that many mentally ill people are already in treatment when they find themselves assaulting a police officer. This woman was. Guess what? Sometimes (often) treatment does not work.

In most states, mebbe all, suicide is a crime. The police cannot ignore a request for a well-person check from any citizen, let alone a mental health therapist -- and yes, they can take off your front door, if need be.

N.J. woman accuses 2 police officers of forcible arrest during safety check | NJ.com

Interesting case. If Leenstra had killed herself, would the cops be responsible as well?

Cops have a really tough job.

Why should they even get involved? Unless she is a danger to others, not just herself, there is no need for the police to even ask questions.

One would think. But that's not the way it works. The checks are required. See in bold.

I can understand what George is saying about the prison system. However, the cops have a duty to protect the public and THEMSELVES when there is a threat. It matters not if the "devil made them do it". In fact, it would seem in many cases the loony with the knife would be far more dangerous than the thug with the knife.

I would imagine that many mentally ill people are already in treatment when they find themselves assaulting a police officer. This woman was. Guess what? Sometimes (often) treatment does not work.

How did arresting a woman who was in her own bedroom, with her husband, and telling them that she was fine, protect either the public or the police? The only conceivable danger the cops were in was from being in the bedroom, so all they had to do to get out of danger was leave.

The law is simply wrong.

In most states, mebbe all, suicide is a crime. The police cannot ignore a request for a well-person check from any citizen, let alone a mental health therapist -- and yes, they can take off your front door, if need be.

If they take off the wrong front door without a warrant they might get shot.

I work in a (state) mental hospital as a counselor and for all those above who say 'just put them in the mental hospital' the reality is that beds at mental hospitals are getting more and more rare. They're $500 a day and the public doesn't want to pay it. We are under enormous pressure to discharge quickly. You would probably be really surprised if you understood the mental status of many of the people we discharge.

Forum List

Back