Polar Bears

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Skull Pilot, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,013
    We keep hearing about polar bears in relation to climate change.

I have a simple question.

If the Polar sea ice was gone, what do you think would happen exactly to polar bears?

Here is my answer to the question.

They would migrate to the land where they would thrive.

Simple reasoning should tell us that if the sea ice was gone that the seals the bears hunt would not have ice floes to use as rafts and they would have to migrate to land to survive. The bears would follow and the hunting would resume.

In fact, I would suggest that polar bears would do better if their prey had to migrate to the land as it is much more difficult for a bear to catch a seal when it has an escape to the water.

2. code1211

code1211 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +845

The jury's out on Polar Bears.

The overall population has increased since the 60's. That's when they were classed as endangered and hunting was limited. The population went up for most of the Polar Bear groups to a level about 5 times the 1960's level and now is coming down for some.

Of course, the villain in this is Global Warming. Hitch your wagon to the cause d'jour and someone will fill it with money.

When deer hunting was limited where I grew up, deers were starving due to too many and ever increasing deers trying to eat a stable and not increasing food supply. The deers who were being "saved" by the actions of the well intentioned but poorly informed were dropping dead in the front yards of city dwellers as they searched for food. The deers were searching for food, not the city dwellers.

Anyway, with the recovery of Arctic Sea ice, the problem for the Polar Bears should be cooling. Literally. However, it's possible that there might be too many bears for the food supply. This could be possible with or without ice.

The group most shrunken is also the group most closely studied and the group in the area that is most heavily fished. Western Hudson Bay. If the fishermen are taking all the fish, I wonder if the bears are having trouble finding and eating what's left. The "activities of Man" in this case might be the actual fishing and not particularly running the CO2 producing diesel engines on the boats.

Maybe if we made the fishermen swim instead of riding around in boats...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009