Plex Media Server

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
...anyone else using Plex?
All kinds of awesomeness. The ability to watch any movies, music etc. from the computer to any device on the network is just too cool.
I have a ripped DVD library of about 70 movies on my Linux PC that I am running Plex on...watching any of these on any device in any room - without any loss in video quality?
Oh yeah.
Not to mention the 1500plus MP3's that I still have from the old Napster days, and the 70 or so I have purchased...on any device...even remotely...heh.

I have a large DVD collection but if I want to watch em I just stick one in the optical drive. I don't download music or movies, rarely use my smart phone to surf the internet and don't have an i-pad (or non-Apple equivilent) so it's not something I'd be interested in. Hell, I don't even sync any of my accounts, text on the phone and I rarely even check my e-mail.

I have a large DVD collection but if I want to watch em I just stick one in the optical drive. I don't download music or movies, rarely use my smart phone to surf the internet and don't have an i-pad (or non-Apple equivilent) so it's not something I'd be interested in. Hell, I don't even sync any of my accounts, text on the phone and I rarely even check my e-mail.

I have two kids in college...my son has an XBox.
I pay for HuluPlus/Netflix.
Within Plex, I can move these channels to the "shared library"...I have the Linux PC setup with a global static IP with port forwarding on the router. He can watch all the movies I have, and the channels - 100 miles away on his XBox.
With the cut in hours from Obamacare that all students have had happen to them, no way can he afford a cable bill.
Nice.
Legal? - I have read the license on Netflix, you are allowed to stream on any two "non-pc" devices that YOU own. I bought the Xbox...ok a little gray...Hulu - no doubt, only one device can stream at a time...soooo..:redface:

Within Plex, I can move these channels to the "shared library"...I have the Linux PC setup with a global static IP with port forwarding on the router. He can watch all the movies I have, and the channels - 100 miles away on his XBox.
With the cut in hours from Obamacare that all students have had happen to them, no way can he afford a cable bill.
Nice.
Legal? - I have read the license on Netflix, you are allowed to stream on any two "non-pc" devices that YOU own. I bought the Xbox...ok a little gray...Hulu - no doubt, only one device can stream at a time...soooo..:redface:
I have two cats and they're not interested........... :lol:

Nice.
I have two cats and they're not interested........... :lol:

One of the interesting features in Plex is this "friend invite" option.
I can place any movie(s) I have in a share folder, choose an invite option with a name and password. You would go to the Plex website, login with the credentials I gave you - and you are watching the movie(s) off of my PC in full HD.
I don't know how long this has been an option - but I would imagine the RIAA people are not fond of this.

Forum List

Back